Possible to develop "restart" software?

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Possible to develop "restart" software?

Post by Batteau62 »

Following the topic of this thread- http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=6846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a coding guru by any stretch. Having said that, what would it entail to enable the host(Repetier or your choice)to restart a print after something like the above situations? (a mid print stoppage) My print was perfect up to the point it was interrupted. If I could have reloaded the g-code and restarted it at the interrupt? I imagine the code would be complex, but is it possible? Food for thought ;)
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
RegB
Printmaster!

Re: Possible to develop "restart" software?

Post by RegB »

My "guess" is that it would be incredibly HARD to start laying down filament at EXACTLY the point where it had previously stopped.
{Heck, I can't even do it with a caulking gun and I can SEE where I left off (-: }

It MIGHT be possible to start a little farther on, i.e. leave a "short" gap between the stop and the restart... and that may or may not matter; another guess, on infill it probably doesn't matter - GENERALLY.
I would assume that the code "knows" when it is printing infill.
My general settings are for 3 outer layers, so maybe a tiny gap in one of those wouldn't matter either... just thinking out loud...
I don't now how much molten filament sags for say a 0.2 mm deep gap of some length, maybe it would smooth out in a couple of layers ? and all would be well (well enough).

Yeah, it could be done if the code could be made to save the progress made up to the time of interruption.
As to how "good" the part would be... as with so many things; depends.
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

This is very close to what I was thinking about in this thread.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20141202- ... nters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
jesse
Printmaster!

Post by jesse »

You can get the last GCODE sent to the printer from Rep-Host in the log. Logging is disabled by default.

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”