leakage

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
JFettig
Printmaster!

leakage

Post by JFettig »

What does it take to make a leak-free print? Its funny, about 2" up it doesn't leak. It leaks through the bottom and sides, each side is solid 6 extrusion widths thick. ESUN PETG printed at 260C with .4mm nozzle.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/E841C2D.jpg[/img]

It doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere near start/stop ends, which have over extrusion due to my settings.
RocketMagnet
Printmaster!

Re: leakage

Post by RocketMagnet »

Try ABS and then Propanone (Acetone) Vapour... that would form a water tight part...

Not sure what you could replace the Propanone with for PETG as most chemicals it's soluable in probably aren't available to the general public.. (possibly Toluene? at a guess but really not sure and depends on your country if you can get hold of it)?

Probably much easier to simply go ABS + Propanone IMO.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Weird, I printed a thing that wasn't even intended to be water-tight and it is. It held water for days without even a drop coming out. It was a round bowl-like shape, though. Perhaps try giving a gradual curve to the shape, so that there are no 90 degree corners. Then each layer is slightly offset from the others, filling in voids?
*not actually a robot
RocketMagnet
Printmaster!

Post by RocketMagnet »

Wall thickness will be a big factor and even the way you slice the file can result in tiny gaps and holes dependant on tool path.
Personally I've found thin cylinders to be the hardest to get water tight right from the printer and trying different slicers/settings can produce better results based on the part.. but none are simply the best at all parts.. trial and error imo....
Any cracking caused by shrinkage will generally lead to failure.. so considering the above it's why it normally simpler to solvent vapour seal items you want water tight...
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

ive actually had really good luck with single layers using the volcano 1.2mm end. water tight vases for days!!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I have been tempted to get a volcano nozzle for my E3D, it would probably take care of the problem.

I think that if I pre-heated the enclosure for a couple hours prior to printing, it would have all sealed up, the first 2" is all that leaked, I theorize that the enclosure was quite toasty by the time it got that high up and it helped inter-layer bonding.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

What is the application? Cosmetically important or not?
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Sub Irrigated planter - so yes, important.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Any reason why ABS would not work? As you could acetone polish it.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”