Extrusion FAIL!

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
REV
Prints-a-lot

Extrusion FAIL!

Post by REV »

I had just put on some trick laser arms, and done a few great prints with them. I've had an E3D sitting around too, that I've never hooked up because I've never had a single problem with the stock hotend.

until now

major bummer, because I'm in the middle of fulfilling some orders for 3D hubs. This started as an adhesion problem, I had run out of gluestick and had just re-wet what little there was on the caption tape. shoulda run out to the pharmacy and bought some more glue. Instead I went for a 35 mile bike ride...

Looks like I'll be installing that e3D tomorrow... btw, any good tutorials out there for this?

this is my first major fail, and I feel like I've hit some sort of milestone or something...
Attachments
IMG_0780.JPG
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Extrusion FAIL!

Post by geneb »

There's nothing fatal going on there. Just remove the layer fans and heat up the hot end. You should be able to pull the blob of plastic off quite easily.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
REV
Prints-a-lot

Post by REV »

geneb wrote:There's nothing fatal going on there. Just remove the layer fans and heat up the hot end. You should be able to pull the blob of plastic off quite easily.

g.
Ok, I will try that. however, it mushroomed out the top too, creating a sort of big plastic rivet.
REV
Prints-a-lot

Post by REV »

here is another pic. fixable?
Attachments
IMG_0782.JPG
REV
Prints-a-lot

Post by REV »

This is not fixable. I tried heating it up, prying it off, not happening.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

That's...impressive. :D

I'd almost be tempted to frame that. :)

It's not a total loss though - you should be able to disassemble the hot end (top section, peek, heater block) and using needle nosed pliers and wire cutters, get it free from the block of plastic. You'll of course need to replace the resistors & thermistor, but that's pretty simple.

g.
Delta Power!
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Even if you decide to replace the hot end, you still want to save the effector if you can. If you remove the arms from the effector as well as any other disassembly possible you will have greater access with tools. A hot knife (I have knife blade for one of my soldering irons) may help...but dont let it touch the effector itself.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

That's a world class fail there. I'd just get a new hot-end and keep that on the wall. Yes you could recover it, but it's art now!
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

What material were you printing with? I did this with trimmer line (nylon) and cleaned it up. It did take a few hours, and a dremel, and a car battery.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
REV
Prints-a-lot

Post by REV »

Hot knife- yes.

This is PLA. It was really stupid of me to leave the printer knowing full well that the bed adhesion was sub optimal. Now I've a good excuse to rig up the E3D tho! I was hoping to print a mount for the e3D. or can I theoretically reuse this one if I can free it that is?

I gotta say, 1300M of equal parts ABS and PLA, not a single jam with this stock hotend. That why my e3d has been sitting around for so long! I figured I'd set it up once I had a good reason... and I guess this is it. But it is not the fault of the stock hot end. ...user error :|

Wait, a car battery?
REV
Prints-a-lot

Post by REV »

This is a question I've been searching for and is related enough i think...is there a way to mount the e3D to my existing all stock effector without having to 3D print anything?
REV
Prints-a-lot

Post by REV »

Ok, well I got it taken apart, and the effector platform is still intact. Now, how to mount the e3D...
Attachments
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Man, that's just epic. I'd have to frame it. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

Could you stick it in your oven at 450 degrees? That should be low enough to not melt the stock hot end, but heat up the part to remove the filament. Just a thought. I agree though, that is massively impressive and I feel terrible for ya.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Put it in a tupperware with a few caps full of the non acetone nail polish remover. It makes PLA gummy (wait 2 days or so), and it might be enough to give you some flex and help you get it off of there.

I agree with Gene. It's modern art :)
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Frame that thing! That's art! We have a few like that around the shop that customers have sent or brought us in, and i believe PartDaddy himself has one hiding somewhere. It is a milestone, for sure. Glad to hear the original lasted a good long time for you.
Outsider
Printmaster!

Post by Outsider »

EPIC.... truly EPIC.... It's a MASTERPIECE!!!
Sometimes you earn a real trophy the hard way.

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”