Acetone Vapor - Fail!

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
Agisis
Printmaster!

Acetone Vapor - Fail!

Post by Agisis »

So I bought some transparent blue ABS and printed the fan shroud again to go with my blue trim. I then cold-vapored it in a pickle jar with some acetone. It came out absolutely beautiful and most of it was completely transparent and all the lines were gone. After three hours of waiting for it to harden back up, I became impatient with it being soft and didn't want to wait the 24 hrs for it to harden so I put it into the over at 150deg F to get the acetone out.

Whatever you do, do not do that.

Of course, thinking on it now, all that acetone has to go SOMEWHERE when heated so it's going to turn to vapor pretty quick and create thin little bubbles which expand until they burst. Probably not good to have that in the house either. So, lesson learned. I'll add that to my list of "duh, what did you expect to happen" moments.
Attachments
Foamy.jpg
Fiddler2070
Printmaster!

Re: Acetone Vapor - Fail!

Post by Fiddler2070 »

Agisis wrote:So I bought some transparent blue ABS and printed the fan shroud again to go with my blue trim. I then cold-vapored it in a pickle jar with some acetone. It came out absolutely beautiful and most of it was completely transparent and all the lines were gone. After three hours of waiting for it to harden back up, I became impatient with it being soft and didn't want to wait the 24 hrs for it to harden so I put it into the over at 150deg F to get the acetone out.

Whatever you do, do not do that.

Of course, thinking on it now, all that acetone has to go SOMEWHERE when heated so it's going to turn to vapor pretty quick and create thin little bubbles which expand until they burst. Probably not good to have that in the house either. So, lesson learned. I'll add that to my list of "duh, what did you expect to happen" moments.
Thanks for sharing that lesson. I couldn't even tell what it was you were holding. :shock:

It looked like bubble wrap. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agisis
Printmaster!

Re: Acetone Vapor - Fail!

Post by Agisis »

heh, that is what it felt like too. Maybe I stumbled upon something, however non-useful it is.

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”