First thought humidity, now i'm thinking nozzle issue.

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
shentheory
Printmaster!

First thought humidity, now i'm thinking nozzle issue.

Post by shentheory »

So to preface, I made a 14 hour print with some PLA yesterday and it came out wonderfully.

I go today to make another copy with the same PLA, and now the filament is coming out super clumpy, and with CONSISTENT air "pops" every couple seconds leaving space in my print. The first thing i tried was different filament. I tried a Brand new roll out of the package, and 2 others that were different brands, but i still get the same issue.

I even tried with ABS and the issue still remains. my filament is not exposed to the open air and i've never had an issue with humidity in my filament. now all of a sudden ALL the filament i try is bad?? I'm thinking that's unlikely. The reason i'm starting to think it's a nozzle issue is that I have an e3d V6 with a 0.4mm nozzle. and when i get repeiter-host manually extrude the filament, or even when i push the filament through by hand, it comes though VERY clumpy, and at a much larger thickness than usual: http://i.imgur.com/v6oZOra.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As it starts to "leak", that's when i'll hear a "pop" and the filament will fall to the bed.

Any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: First thought humidity, now i'm thinking nozzle issue.

Post by JFettig »

Might just be humidity - but its possible that its just too hot? What thermistor do you have installed and is it properly set up in the firmware? I never actually tested mine against a calibrated thermocouple but going from the stock E3D thermistor to a screw in one off ebay I had to drop my setpoint temperatures 10-20C
shentheory
Printmaster!

Post by shentheory »

JFettig wrote:Might just be humidity - but its possible that its just too hot? What thermistor do you have installed and is it properly set up in the firmware? I never actually tested mine against a calibrated thermocouple but going from the stock E3D thermistor to a screw in one off ebay I had to drop my setpoint temperatures 10-20C

Looks like i solved it, most likely due to it getting colder. The first thing i noticed when i woke up today and started the print was that my nozzle was suddenly too far away from the bed. I did a quick recalibration, but obviously not good enough becuase i was getting these issues. i just re-re-calibrated, and now 2 of the filaments are printing great! I swear to god sometimes this stuff is straight voodoo!!
BuckeyeVolunteer
Printmaster!

Post by BuckeyeVolunteer »

We called it FM.
shentheory
Printmaster!

Post by shentheory »

So turns out it was my nozzle. I had a 14 hour glow in the dark PLA print, and it totally eroded and widened my nozzle!! This was definitely not made clear when i purchased this filament!!! Looks like i'll be picking up some hardened nozzles!!

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”