Will Max print this?

http://freecadweb.org
tcat007
Printmaster!

Will Max print this?

Post by tcat007 »

I grabbed a part off Thingiverse and added a couple mods (hole and notch). The walls from my mods are not surfaced, but the openings are not seen in "Z", so will they print? I'm new to CAD and just trying to learn how to modify stl files. Attached is the file. Don't really want to try a print if it will fail. I created holes from a cylinder and cube thru mesh. If I need to close the surfaces, please tell me how. Thanks!
Attachments
Clip.stl
(89.24 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Re: Will Max print this?

Post by nitewatchman »

It may have difficulty depending upon which slicer you use BUT it should be able to print this one. Some of the surfaces lost fine definition during the repair but I don't think that you will notice in the final print.

Typically parts like your model are considered "Not Manifold" (think water tight) and unpredictable things can happen.

gary
Attachments
Clip (repaired).stl
(392.55 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

Thanks, that looks good in a viewer. I had tried the "open" one and even though the mods were on the 3D screen, it printed it as if they were not there. I'll try your file next. Going to try it with Cura slicer, MatterSlice vastly underestimated build time (23 min est, 45 min actual). By the way, what did you use to repair it?
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Flogged it with nettfab. If you try a simple repair it will just fill the holes. If you add enough triangle to give it the right idea usually it will complete the repair automatically.

nettfab is a VERY handy tool to have around. The commercial version is awesome but it is also $300, for me the free version does most everything that I want. Would be nice to have the Boolean capabilities but not worth the cost for me.

gary
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

The commercial version is actually more than $3,000 USD. The ~$300 version is only for personal use.

:o
*not actually a robot
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

bot wrote:The commercial version is actually more than $3,000 USD. The ~$300 version is only for personal use.

:o
Either way, ain't happin'. ;)
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Work?
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

Just got to it today, printed great, thanks! Now I need to print 8 of them. Using them to clip to an awning out back that I will run a line of solar lights (wire in the hole I added). 'Tis the season.
Printed the 2 piece T-Rex (Thingiverse) today came out great also. Only issue I've had is I tried printing the suggested .20x75mm test layer with Matterslice and it's missing about 1/4" about 2/3's the way through the build. Don't think the software is slicing correctly. Anything more reliable than another? I tried 3Dslicr within MC, but put the part off the table.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

The integration of Slic3r in MC is buggy on the latest version. My suggestion was to download the standalone version of Slic3r. Another poster figured out you can add G92 X100 Y100 to the end of your start gcode as a workaround for the bug.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

@ IMBoring25:
Can you elaborate on the bug? If I set the slicer to slic3r, slicing takes wwwaaaayyyy more time, and after print start the head crashes off the side of the printbed... Has this bug you mentioned anything to do with that?
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

The bug is the cause, and it's more that Slic3r created a new version with a non-backwards compatible bed definition method, and MC lacks the ability to import a working definition as yet, than an actual bug. So really, someone made a change that broke things, and they are waiting on duct tape right now.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Slicing time will depend on the slicer, but that's not really a bug.

Since the import change causes Slic3r to think bed center is at (100,100), the head will go outside the printable area and probably crash if the part or skirt protrudes more than ~40mm from part center in the ~1:30 direction.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Hmm, i was scared the hell out of my mind when that happened. I believe a lot of other parameters got nudged by this event, because having switched back to matterslice for now, a lot f other weird stuff is happening to my prints now...
Look at how it is tearing the inner perimeters out of these gears!

[img]http://hennekens.info/rostock/gear1s.jpg[/img]
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!

Return to “FreeCAD”