file size limit in OcotPrint

Talk about the web based OctoPrint controllers
wshiwsbrding
Prints-a-lot

file size limit in OcotPrint

Post by wshiwsbrding »

Is there a file size limit in OctoPrint? I am trying to print a part that has an stl of 69mb but I can do anything with it. When i try to slice it the browser freezes and says it ran out of memory. Maybe there is a setting or something I can change to allow larger files?
TN Yankee
Printmaster!

Re: file size limit in OcotPrint

Post by TN Yankee »

First off, I'll confess I don't have an answer or suggestion for OctoPrint, but I have to really question such a large STL file, especially on a desktop FFF machine. I've been to a couple classes relating to exporting STLs for printing, and both recommended keeping file size below 18-20 MB. I don't know all their reasoning behind the numbers, but it implies more triangles in the model than necessary.

I design for & operate a laser powder-bed printer at work, running 30u (.03mm) layers in various metals. Even with a build volume of about 11x11x13", if I had a model the size of yours I'd spend time modifying the export parameters to reduce the number of triangles. Then in my build prep/slicing software I'd try to do some local & possibly global remeshing. An STL that large has to be asking for trouble.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way-you may not have the option to modify the file, and it's possible OctoPrint has a significant limitation. If it were me, though, I wouldn't have even tried to get OctoPrint to process the file.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

STL files are as big as they need to be. Higher poly counts = better model quality.

The problem OP has is due to the browser running out of RAM when slicing. The easy way to fix that is to not slice in the browser. :) Use Slic3r, Kisslicer, S3D, Matter Slice, etc. instead.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
TN Yankee
Printmaster!

Post by TN Yankee »

I realize higher triangle count = potentially higher quality. What I'm saying is that there's a very good chance that model is far more detailed than the printer is capable of reproducing, or at least what the end-user is capable of discerning.

There are likely surfaces which can benefit from a dense mesh, but there are also most likely surfaces that can have their count reduced with no real-world loss of function or aesthetics, as well as dramatically speeding up slicing & printing time.

Obviously, I have no idea what the OP's model is or is to be used for, but these are just my experiences. It might be an uber-crazy bit of super smooth, intertwined artwork, or it might just be a big bolt :)
wshiwsbrding
Prints-a-lot

Post by wshiwsbrding »

Yes I gave up on that particular file. It was just one I found that I thought would solve fill my needs from thingiverse. Since I couldnt print it I just designed my own from the ground up and for the same exact part more or less my new stl was only 6 mb.
TN Yankee
Printmaster!

Post by TN Yankee »

Yeah, baby! Nice work!
wshiwsbrding
Prints-a-lot

Post by wshiwsbrding »

this is the thing I designed since I couldnt get the other thing to print, in case anyone was curious: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2035282 Its a segment of a flexible tubing like loc-line with 3/4" inner diameter.

Its a project Im gonna share more in detail when Im done but it will be my pose-able arm for my webcam using an hdmi cable for flexibility and durability and will have all wiring concealed inside of it. It will permanently mounted to the underside of the top of my V3 and hang down to just above the bed. I will be able to move the camera anywhere I want and it will stay and Its gonna be awesome. All I have left to do is design the housing on the end for the rpi camera plus hdmi converting board.

Return to “OctoPrint”