Calibration issue

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
dquattrin
Plasticator

Calibration issue

Post by dquattrin »

We upgraded our V2 with the new HE280 upgrade. Got everything working and did some test printing which worked. Printed a rather substantial smartphone case. Did not print for a week or so. Created a small medallion in Solidworks, saved as an STL file, uploaded through MatterControl and tried to print it (I do not know if this is relevant but being thorough). The print head started printing about 8" above the bed. I ran the G29 calibration process and the calibration worked just fine. However, the printing still started above the bed. I tried printing the standard calibration cube after running the G29 calibration again but still printing at the wrong height. Any suggestions?
TN Yankee
Printmaster!

Re: Calibration issue

Post by TN Yankee »

While I don't pretend to know the exact cause for your issue, I ran into a similar problem recently.

All my jobs had been printing well (other than adjusting print quality settings). I modified a job in Simplify3D to have 3 processes instead of one, and all of a sudden it's printing in mid-air.

Looking at the gcode, I see that for some reason S3D didn't put a G28 (home) command anywhere in the beginning of the build, before the actual geometry starts printing. It's in the Starting script for my first process, so it "should" be there, but obviously isn't. Comparing it to a gcode file from before I added the extra processes, I manually added it with a text editor at the line where it should have been, and it printed fine.

So, I'd say check the gcode (http://reprap.org/wiki/Gcode is a great resource). If it's there, cycle the printer's power, run a G30 S2 to set Z height, home it, and try again.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”