Print head crash at start of print

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
dlbyers
Prints-a-lot

Print head crash at start of print

Post by dlbyers »

Dusted off my printer yesterday to run a print. I got one successful print off, but wasn't happy with the way the slicer (Matterslice) had rendered the top surface: The top wasn't connected to the sides as it should be.

When I started the re-print with Slic3r, nozzle and bed came up to temp, axes homed, print head went down to the plate as usual and then immediately crashed into the left tower, with the nozzle crashed in between the plate and the tower. I then remembered that I had a similar problem in the past with one of the slicers, so I tried the print again with Cura... Same result. Then Matterslice again, with the same result yet again. This leads me to think maybe there is a hardware issue.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

Hardware: Rostock Max v2 circa December 2016
Mattercontrol: v.1.5.0.6634
Firmware: Repetier v.091
Fattymcbiggins
Noob

Re: Print head crash at start of print

Post by Fattymcbiggins »

I am having a similar problem with a V3. But instead of the print head crashing into a tower, the carriage on my x-tower bottoms out on the base. The print head ends up way out to the side extruding off the side of the bed.

My problem materialized when I switched from MatterSlice over to Slic3r, and it continued to happen until I ran the print head calibration G-code script (V3probing.gcode.) While running the script, the machine ran the print head into the bed so hard that it caused the print head to flex sideways. Not a pleasant thing to watch. This leads me to believe that there is some setting that is changed for the x-tower, z-position when the new slicer is selected.

I don't know how to investigate this any further. I'm certainly not going to try to use Slic3r again until I have a reasonable idea of what I am dealing with.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Post your g-code. It really sounds like you don't have the printer configured properly in Slic3r. You could start with my V# slic3r profile I posted last week. I know it has a reasonable printer configuration.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Fattymcbiggins wrote:I am having a similar problem with a V3. But instead of the print head crashing into a tower, the carriage on my x-tower bottoms out on the base. The print head ends up way out to the side extruding off the side of the bed.

My problem materialized when I switched from MatterSlice over to Slic3r, and it continued to happen until I ran the print head calibration G-code script (V3probing.gcode.) While running the script, the machine ran the print head into the bed so hard that it caused the print head to flex sideways. Not a pleasant thing to watch. This leads me to believe that there is some setting that is changed for the x-tower, z-position when the new slicer is selected.

I don't know how to investigate this any further. I'm certainly not going to try to use Slic3r again until I have a reasonable idea of what I am dealing with.
Is this slic3r in mattercontrol? Because if so, that's the issue. The integrated Slic3r bed definition is broken, and it doesn't properly center.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Fattymcbiggins
Noob

Post by Fattymcbiggins »

Yes I was trying to use Slic3r in Mattercontrol. Is the problem fixable?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Fattymcbiggins wrote:Yes I was trying to use Slic3r in Mattercontrol. Is the problem fixable?
Apparently you have to use the standalone version of Slic3r,,,, or just ditch Mattercontrol and use Repetier Host instead.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Actually there are a few approaches. In order of commonness and ease:

!) Use Slic3r or another slicer standalone. This may require hunting up a profile or making your own.

2) Add an offset to the beginning of your G-code to undo the broken behavior. I think it's ~100,-100. Do test that before trying it, and look in the layer view to see if it's fixed rather than trying it on the printer.

3) Roll back enough to get a working version. I don't know how far back that is exactly though.

4) Actually try and dig out the broken bed definition and update it, then prevent Mattercontrol from "helpfully" regenerating it to the wrong one.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Jefrysuko
Plasticator

Post by Jefrysuko »

Is it doing something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmLVJkkF02U
gibeaug
Printmaster!

Post by gibeaug »

Mine just started doing this exact thing as seen in video.

I went through the calibration process, set Z height, ran calibration code to check X,Y,Z in reference to center, modified steps/mm for my Bondtech QR extruder. Everything was going along fine - - then I loaded the fan shroud to print - the bed came up to temp (60) hot end came up to temp (220) - then all hell broke loose - - hot end crashed into bed and from then on, it was like it was possessed. Hitting the reset button only caused it to pause and then go all psycho again.

Using MatterControl 1.6.7967 on a windows 10 desktop PC.

Not sure what to try (other than calling a priest ;-))

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”