HE280 upgrade for MAX v2 - Worth it?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

HE280 upgrade for MAX v2 - Worth it?

Post by mvansomeren »

I've been eyeing the HE280 Hotend upgrade since it became available. I've also read quite a few post with folks having issues with the upgrade.

I've had the MAX V2 for about 20 months now and it's been a rock solid performer! Other than having to replace the stock hotend once (the nozzle became "glued" to the hotend and could not be removed for cleaning), the v2 has been bullet proof. I've done hundreds of successful prints in ABS, PLA, Carbon Fiber ABS, and PETG. I've only had to perform bed leveling a few times due to changes I made so that was expected. My MAX v2 does have a Corsair 750W PS.

I like the idea of auto bed leveling and a hotend that can, with the proper accessory, print some higher temp filaments and that this hotend is supported by SeemeCNC rather than a 3rd party.

So here's the question: Should I expect to have issues with this upgrade similar to the ones I've read about? Or were they isolated issues? Do the advantages outweigh the potential issues? In other words, is the juice worth the squeeze?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Printmaster!

Re: HE280 upgrade for MAX v2 - Worth it?

Post by morgandc »

Likely reading the forums will give you the many opinions. Personally I would not go to the HE280 because it isn't supported by a couple of the other control boards and thus less flexible and there are boards on the way for auto calibrating the other hot ends. But, I am one of the ones having some leveling challenges :)
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

That's it?! I expected that there would be a lot more input both pro and con for this upgrade.

Based on the one response, it seems that I would be better off not upgrading. Maybe I overestimated the benefits of this upgrade.

Is there anyone who has had a positive experience upgrading their MAX v2 with the HE280?
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

When I read about it I wanted one and almost ordered it, but as I've seen more and more issues with it, decided to skip on it.

Manual calibration isn't that bad and it's working. As they say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Last edited by TwoTone on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Personally, I have no skin in the game. I'm unlikely to try it since I'm running a Duet and loving it, while my machine has had remarkably few calibration issues. At this point, if you have a good calibration, I would wait to see how well things pan out. If your current calibration is worse than what's on display in those threads, give it a shot, especially if you want to work with higher temperature plastics.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Well, at this point I'm over it. Not one positive response - not even from the staff at SeeMeCNC. I'm not sure why they are even selling the upgrade if it is so laden with challenges.

On to more pressing endeavors...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”