Hardened Steel Hobbed Drive Roller?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
Curt
Noob

Hardened Steel Hobbed Drive Roller?

Post by Curt »

Hi all! I have fallen in love with carbon and fiberglass petg from 3dxtech but have noticed the hobbed drive roller on my EZstruder is toast after just a single roll of fiberglass petg! :shock: It now slips even on normal petg forcing me to slow down to under 40mm/s. I replaced my nozzle with a hardened steel one but was not expecting the drive roller on the extruder to need replacing too. Does anyone know of a hardened replacement for the hobbed drive roller? Or an alternate extruder that has one available? I have 2 deltas with this issue (a max V2 at home and a heavily modified Boots V2.5 at work) and need a solution or will have to stop using these fancy filaments. :( Thanks!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Hardened Steel Hobbed Drive Roller?

Post by mhackney »

I've run 20+ spools of CF (not fiberglass) PETG and PLA with no issues on the Bondtech QR extruder. It's - push on both sides of the filament - design is much better for flexibles and abrasive filaments like these.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Is the drive roller worn down, or do you just have plastic dust "clogging" the teeth? Clear out the swarf and have a close look at it to be sure.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

+1 on Jim's recommendation. Super critical for any "hard" filament.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Curt
Noob

Post by Curt »

In case anyone else stumbles on this later: The printer at work (CarbonX only) continued working fine for another 2.5 kg then it's hobbed gear also wore out and had to be replaced. The one at home with the ezstruder was really stripped after one roll of fiberglass petg though. I had already cleaned it, even picking out some filament between the teeth and it was obviously worn.I ended up replacing the hobbed roller with the stock seemecnc one and not printing the fancy filaments at home since they are expensive and to be honest, unnecessary for pretty much anything I print. I've stuck to my normal natural esun 25$/kg petg with zero issues.

If I ever have a need to print with those filaments again I will upgrade the extruder as Mhackney suggested.

Thanks (belatedly) for your help guys!

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”