1st Layer issue

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
datadawg
Noob

1st Layer issue

Post by datadawg »

I'm having issues with getting the first layer to extrude and stick to the PEI bed. I have to push the filament down the bowen tube by hand until the filament finally lays after that it usually starts printing fine. The filament will ooze out will waiting for the print to start but once it start it doesn't seem like it wants to come out. Its on the 3rd layer by the time I can get the filament to stick. I've not changed any setting before this started and my son re calibrated the printer right after it started happening with only minor improvement. Anyone have any suggestion?
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Re: 1st Layer issue

Post by Tincho85 »

Extrude 10mm by console before you hit "start print" and make sure it actually extrudes.
Martín S.
Dionysus480
Printmaster!

Post by Dionysus480 »

A lot of questions come to mind. Your third layer actually shouldn't stick. The first layer is the most important, but once you add even the small space of a few layers, adhesion is already lost.

What temp, what filament, how are you leveling the bed, how much filament is oozing. Does using a series of brims or skirts help?
Dionysus480 & Sons

Rostock MAX v2 - "M2D2"

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Yes, you are right, the 3rd one shouldn't stick.
I gave that tip because I thought it could be a gravity issue. When your hotend is at printing temperature and you leave it like this for a long time, if you hit print, it will take a few seconds for the filament to start coming out.

But now I think that he might be printing too close to the bed and the filament is unable to come out.
That's why when on the 3rd layer it can stick to the bed.

Set the bed and hotend to printing temperatures and send this g-code:

Code: Select all

G28
G0 Z0 F3500
Put a paper below the nozzle. You should be able to move it back and forth with no resistance.
It must barely touch the nozzle.
Martín S.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”