Duet SD card files

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Duet SD card files

Post by e_hutch »

Hi all, I am back, I mothballed my V2 for almost 2 years due to some twins added to the chaos of my already large family :D. I dusted it off and also got all of my planned upgrades back out and started to work. The 24v w/ SSR worked awesome! Before I had to insulate the onyx to get it up to temp, now it heats up very quickly. I finished printing an enclosure and redesigned it to fit the tricklaser FSR plate. Now I am on to my duet 0.6 w/ 7inch paneldue and ultibots FSR kit. I'm pretty sure I have it set up and wired correctly, along with the latest firmware, but I am having trouble figuring out the SD files that i need. I am just not quite to the level of knowledge I need to be at to run the configurator tool effectively (https://configurator.reprapfirmware.org/) with the right data and I have not found a repository with a good starting config for the Max V2. I have the latest V2 configuration with injection molded carriages and stock ball arms. I also have an E3Dv6 with the 713maker carbon fiber mount the rest of the machine is stock.

I have seen a couple of config.g files posted here, but usually in the context of troubleshooting, and I also need all the other files. Fortunately the files would be the same regardless of duet version. Can someone either help me through the configurator or share their V2 SD card setup? Thanks!

--Eric
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Duet SD card files

Post by Xenocrates »

I have almost exactly what you should need. My configs may need changing slightly, as I'm using the PT100 module for the hotend
Attachments
oct-10-16.rar
(893.19 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

Awesome, thanks! It looks like you have a heated chamber, so I commented that out. I'll give it a try. I'm curious about the motor currents and accelerations after digging through the configurator. I started looking through the default repetier configuration.h file and found the currents set to 140 for the tower motors and 130 for the extruder, I assume that means 1400 mA and 1300 mA respectively? Should that make any difference from the default 1000mA in your config?

I assume a lower acceleration is good, but repetier also has
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 1850
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Y 1850
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Z 1850
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 3000
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Y 3000
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Z 3000
#define MAX_JERK 32
#define MAX_ZJERK 32

I don't know if the DC42 firmware values are "max" or just a target acceleration value. from the config.g:
M201 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1000 ; Accelerations (mm/s^2)

Those are a couple of the things i was having a hard time wrapping my cranium around :) . thanks again!
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

I guess this mostly answers my question about the currents: in another thread (http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=11991), it's in reference to a v3 but it is with a duet 0.6, and I think it applies to what I was asking. They were using 1200 for the motors.
dc42 wrote:Higher current will reduce the likelihood of missed steps. However, if you increase the current much above the 1.2A that you are already using, then you will need to use a fan to cool your Duet 0.6 board. The best arrangement is a fan that blows cool air along the line of drivers on both sides of the board.
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

Xenocrates wrote:I have almost exactly what you should need. My configs may need changing slightly, as I'm using the PT100 module for the hotend
are you using a stock EZstruder? just want to verify the steps/mm of the extruder are the same.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Nope! I'm sitting on top of a pile of hardware mods (hell, even the stepper motors have cooling fans). I probably should have just made you a reference config. I'm using a bondtech, and do indeed have a heated chamber. My apologies.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

It's all good, it was a good starting point, I'm about there. I powered it up, got it working and was troubleshooting why the home function wasn't stopping at the endstops when on one of the power ups I lost the 5v power. So I think I killed the 5v supply on the board somehow. No longer gets 5v unless connected to usb :(. I may be SOL on this board.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I think you'll be best served by giving DC42 a holler, especially if it's a Duet Wifi/ethernet board. It may be that the 7 inch panel was a little too much draw for the 5v regulator, or something else connected to it (Perhaps the fan voltage as pulling from the 5V?). He would know the best way to get it back in order.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

e_hutch wrote:It's all good, it was a good starting point, I'm about there. I powered it up, got it working and was troubleshooting why the home function wasn't stopping at the endstops when on one of the power ups I lost the 5v power. So I think I killed the 5v supply on the board somehow. No longer gets 5v unless connected to usb :(. I may be SOL on this board.
Were you using the internal 5V switching regulator, or the external 5V linear regulator on a separate PCB that was supplied with some Duet 0.6 boards?
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

dc42 wrote:Were you using the internal 5V switching regulator, or the external 5V linear regulator on a separate PCB that was supplied with some Duet 0.6 boards?
Hi DC42, thanks for jumping in! I was using the 5V switching regulator. It took me a little bit to figure out that I needed to jumper JP9 (5V_EN) to enable the regulator, correct documentation on the old 0.6 is hard to come by. my first power on attempt had no 5V at all. I jumpered the JP9 then all was working (essentially) correctly, I still needed some fine tuning (JP10 has not been and is not jumpered). I was powering a 7inch PanelDue version 1.1 off the 5V and obviously whatever internals are 5V, nothing was getting hot on the board and all the 5V still works under USB power. The only change I made in the firmware before losing the regulator was that I had assumed I had the 1k resistor on the board, but realized I had the 4.7 when the thermistors were reading incorrect and I studied the documentation to confirm, but I can't see how that would have made the difference. I had reuploaded the firmware via the web interface shortly before it happened, and had rebooted the Duet through the web interface as well, but I had gone away to do something else and am not sure how long after the upload that it happened. 12V is still powered and the fans still run, there is no 5V on the pin 1 of the expansion header, and no 3.3V on pin 3.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Hutch, USB supplies 5V, which unlike the rambo, is not isolated from the board power, so while plugged into USB, whatever it's plugged into is supplying the 5V power.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

Thanks, I understand, I do not plug in usb any time there is another power source on the board, but from a troubleshooting perspective usb still works to power all the 5V. So it's not a short or a break anywhere so far as I can tell.
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

I sourced a 5V 5A external power supply for now, and jumpered J10 instead of J9. It is powering appropriately, I have not attempted to home yet. When I trigger the endstops and run the M119 command the terminal returns Y: at max stop, Z: at max stop but X stays at "not stopped" regardless of whether or not the endstop is triggered. The light on the Duet goes out as it should when the endstop is pressed, but the software does not report a change in state. I did have this problem before the 5v died (the first time I attempted to home the printer one of the axis tried to drive through the top and I hit the power off before I could determine which one). Any ideas there too?
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

I also tried switching the X and Y endstops and still could not get the one that was attached to the X endstop position on the board to register as triggered in the M119 command, so it is not my endstop. its just odd that the light on the board works but the status is not changed
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Check that you have parameter X0 in your M558 command, and X1 or X2 (depending on where your X endstop is) in your M574 command. The firmware for the older Duets defaults to using the Z probe for X homing, for backwards compatibility.
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

This is what I have in config.g
; Endstops
M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S1 ; Define active high microswitches
M558 P4 X0 Y0 Z0 H5 I1 F120 T6000 ; Set Z probe type to switch, the axes for which it is used and the probe + travel speeds

I also uploaded my entire config.g in case it helps

I also tried rolling back to firmware 1.17e and rolling forward to the 1.20alpha4 with no change. I am running the 1.19 firmware.
Attachments
config.txt
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

I tried today to look through the schematics, I had a moment of hope when found that the motor loom had some of the same connections as the motor/endstop connections, that maybe there was a bad trace somewhere that would work if I moved the connections, but to no avail. Still the same problem from those pins (J6 pin 23 and 21). I don't know what else to do. I guess there must be a bad trace somewhere? I only have a rudimentary understanding of schematics and PCB's. any other possible solutions?
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

DC42, my assumption right now, unless you have another idea, is that there is a bad trace or something that keeps the signal from the X endstop from getting to the processor, if this is the case would it work if I jumper with a wire from the X_stop pin to an unused pin on the expansion board (say RXD0/D19 or something) and remapped the X endstop pin number in the firmware? Would that be on the wrong side of the R56 resistor that is on the schematic to work?

I assume I would have to change pins_duet.h in the firmware repository and recompile my own .bin file.

would i change the line "const Pin END_STOP_PINS[DRIVES] = { 11, 28, 60, 31, 24, 46, 45, 44, X9 };"
and what would the new line have to be? (I can't tell which changes X endstop and what the new pin number for RXD0/D19 would be) and what else would i have to change? (3rd order effects)

Any other considerations there? I just want to bandaid the duet for now, be able to print again, and get a working knowledge of how my machine should work with the duet/reprapfirmware and hopefully eventually upgrade to a duet wifi when i have a few spare bucks in the budget.
e_hutch
Printmaster!

Post by e_hutch »

This thread has over 500 views, and I think 499 was me refreshing multiple times throughout the days hoping for some wisdom from afar :). I spent two days pouring through every duet 0.6 document I could find, another day reading and trying to interpret all the code, and two more trying to get the code to compile on my computer. (I have a computer science degree that is 15 years out of date and I always think that I can just sit down and make/compile code if I need to) But, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get GNU and arduino and java sdk and eclipse oxygen to all work together. I guess I have not used that CS degree much in the last 15 years and the rust has left too many holes. So after 5 days of cursing everything electronic I finally caved in and bought a duet wifi in the hopes of retaining some small amount of sanity. When it gets in I am sure I will find another seemingly insurmountable obstacle to make me bang my head against the wall, but that is what tinkering is all about, right?

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”