091 Firmware pause for filament out

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
dseebauer
Plasticator

091 Firmware pause for filament out

Post by dseebauer »

Hi,
This may have been discussed before but I could not find a reference. I want to add a filament out sensor to my stock V2, and have read that it can be wired to a spare endstop connector on the RAMBO. Does anyone know if the 091 firmware will support a pause and hopefully park on getting a signal on that pin? I believe I saw it can be done by configuring the appropriate pin in the configuration file, but I am not clear if it exists in the original SeeMeCNC branch I have running. If not, is it possible in a later version without making an investment in new (v3 style) hardware or a new board?
Thanks,
Dave
dseebauer
Plasticator

Re: 091 Firmware pause for filament out

Post by dseebauer »

So according to the Repetier forum, Jam detection was added in v0.92. The current firmware on the SeeMeCNC github is 0.92.2

Looking at the configuration file for 0.92.2, I see that for a V2, it uses values assuming it was upgraded/built using the ball cup arms and injection molded carriages, etc. For us cheapskates that have not upgraded anything, isn't this is a problem? The geometry is different (offsets, lengths, etc.)

Code: Select all

#elif PRINTER == 2 // Rostock MAX v2
#if NUM_EXTRUDER == 1
#define MOTOR_CURRENT {140,140,140,130,0}
#elif NUM_EXTRUDER == 2
#define MOTOR_CURRENT {140,140,140,130,130}
#endif
#define HAVE_HEATED_BED 1
#define INVERT_X_DIR 1
#define INVERT_Y_DIR 0
#define INVERT_Z_DIR 1
#define DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD 291.06  // ball cup arms
#define DELTA_MAX_RADIUS 145.0
#define PRINTER_RADIUS 200.0
#define Z_MAX_LENGTH 350
#define END_EFFECTOR_HORIZONTAL_OFFSET 30.22
#define CARRIAGE_HORIZONTAL_OFFSET 26.5  // molded cheapskates
#define DELTASEGMENTS_PER_PRINTLINE 22
#define STEPPER_INACTIVE_TIME 600L
#define MAX_INACTIVE_TIME 900L
#define MAX_FEEDRATE_X 250
#define MAX_FEEDRATE_Y 250
#define MAX_FEEDRATE_Z 250
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_X 80
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_Y 80
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_Z 80
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 1850
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Y 1850
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Z 1850
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 3000
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Y 3000
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Z 3000
#define MAX_JERK 32
#define MAX_ZJERK 32
#if HOTEND == 3
#define FEATURE_Z_PROBE 1
#else
#define FEATURE_Z_PROBE 0
#endif
#define Z_PROBE_SENSITIVITY  20 // 0-126 7 bit value
#define Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE 20
#define Z_PROBE_PULLUP 1
#define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH 0
#define Z_PROBE_X_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_WAIT_BEFORE_TEST 0
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED 60
#define Z_PROBE_XY_SPEED 50
#define Z_PROBE_SWITCHING_DISTANCE 10
#define Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS 1
#define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT -0.1
#define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT "G28/nG1Z25/n"
#define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT ""
#define FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL 1
#define Z_PROBE_X1 -123.565
#define Z_PROBE_Y1 -71.34
#define Z_PROBE_X2 123.565
#define Z_PROBE_Y2 -71.340
#define Z_PROBE_X3 0
#define Z_PROBE_Y3 142.68
#define SDSUPPORT 1
#define SDCARDDETECT 81
#define SDCARDDETECTINVERTED 0
#define FEATURE_CONTROLLER 13
#define UI_PRINTER_NAME "RostockMAXv2"
Can I just edit the new config to reflect my 0.91 config values for these things? Assuming I can find them all. Are there other areas that will cause problems I am not aware of deeper in the file(s)?

I really don't want to smoke anything or crash it into the glass given that replacements are getting are to come by.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

If you don't change the EEPROM mode, it may carry over without issue. You could also edit the EEPROM after flashing, as the last value checked will be stored there, and the EEPROM is what the firmware checks once on the board for operating parameters.

Is there a reason not to upgrade the arms and other parts though? They do improve the experience. (Not trying to sell you stuff, I just personally didn't like the short time I had to bother with the older cheapskates much compared to the IM ones)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
dseebauer
Plasticator

Post by dseebauer »

Thanks for the reply. I have given up on this for the time being. Here is what I have determined though.

The SeeMeCNC branch of the the FW (0.92.2) does not incorporate jam detection handling that the Repetier branch has (circa 0.92.9 or so). My guess is it branched or was modified before any of that work was done and SeeMeCNC proceeded down the path of the V3 to use the accelerometer (HE280) hotend. Adding my own version of Jam detection into the SeeMeCNC branch is way beyond my skill set.

FWIW, I had a lot of trouble with the 0.92.2 update regardless. Seemed very unstable on my old hardware. My LCD would scramble on the upload, and also when the Repetier Server reconnected. I was constantly power cycling the printer to the keep the LCD up. Also not sure I had the EEPROM values right, as the performance was different. Not necessarily bad, just different. I had imported the EEPROM values from the 0.91 FW that I had exported prior to the update JIC. In the end I rolled back to 0.91 which had been very stable. The rollback in and of itself was a pain, because to do that I had to also roll back the Arduino software to the original version I had used at the start (something like 1.03r2). The recommended version (1.6) and latest version (1.8.9) both would not compile the 0.91 FW. Oh well. Back up and running again like nothing happened. :-)

If anyone has successfully configured the Repetier configuration for the 0.92.9 FW for use with a stock V2, I would love to try it out. So far my attempts to use the configuration tool have not panned out. https://www.repetier.com/firmware/v092/

Why have I not updated the hardware? Cost mostly. To bring the V2 up to date, it would take more than a few hundred $$ to buy the parts (carriages, arms, main board, hot end, etc.) I simply don't use the printer enough to warrant the expenses. Now if I could figure out how to make money with it, maybe. The older cheapskates and universal joint arms have not really been a problem on the printer. Though every time I have had to deal with the hot end (burned up resistors, bad thermistor, etc), I a curse the universal joints having to take them apart!

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”