Waiting for V2 to arrive, What Mods to get before Build???

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
MKGrinch
Prints-a-lot

Waiting for V2 to arrive, What Mods to get before Build???

Post by MKGrinch »

Hello My name is Mark! I am waiting for my V2 to arrive! What mods do you guys recommend, before I start my build....That I need to order before my kit comes? :mrgreen: Thank You!
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Waiting for V2 to arrive, What Mods to get before Build?

Post by Eaglezsoar »

MKGrinch wrote:Hello My name is Mark! I am waiting for my V2 to arrive! What mods do you guys recommend, before I start my build....That I need to order before my kit comes? :mrgreen: Thank You!
Welcome to the Forum Mark!
It is generally recommended to build the printer to stock specifications and get everything working properly before considering mods.
Once the printer is up and running you will be able to decide what mods you feel are needed instead of having someone tell you what mods they would do.
Have a great build once your kit arrives and send us some pictures of the build if you can.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
atoff
Printmaster!

Post by atoff »

^Except, in the case of Astrosyn dampers. If you'd like to reduce noise, I'd suggest picking some up, and installing during your initial build, otherwise it'll be a PITA to install, as you'd probably have to dismantle the entire thing to get them in. Most other mods can be added without disassembly.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

atoff wrote:^Except, in the case of Astrosyn dampers. If you'd like to reduce noise, I'd suggest picking some up, and installing during your initial build, otherwise it'll be a PITA to install, as you'd probably have to dismantle the entire thing to get them in. Most other mods can be added without disassembly.
That is a great point that I forgot about, I think I will change my recommendations to include those for a new build because they really do
work great at reducing noise from the steppers. Thanks for correcting me. :)

Mark, we have a user named astroboy who is selling the dampers, send him a pm by opening the user list (the colored icon at the top), find the astroboy user, I think you right click the name and PM is one of the options.
Ask him if he has any dampers for sale and what the cost would be for three of them.
The ezstruder does not normally need one.
atoff is correct, they make the printer much quieter.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
MKGrinch
Prints-a-lot

Post by MKGrinch »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
MKGrinch wrote:Hello My name is Mark! I am waiting for my V2 to arrive! What mods do you guys recommend, before I start my build....That I need to order before my kit comes? :mrgreen: Thank You!
Welcome to the Forum Mark!
It is generally recommended to build the printer to stock specifications and get everything working properly before considering mods.
Once the printer is up and running you will be able to decide what mods you feel are needed instead of having someone tell you what mods they would do.
Have a great build once your kit arrives and send us some pictures of the build if you can.
Thank you andI I respect that!!!!!!! I will post alot of pics!
MKGrinch
Prints-a-lot

Post by MKGrinch »

atoff wrote:^Except, in the case of Astrosyn dampers. If you'd like to reduce noise, I'd suggest picking some up, and installing during your initial build, otherwise it'll be a PITA to install, as you'd probably have to dismantle the entire thing to get them in. Most other mods can be added without disassembly.
Thanks atoff! I will look into these dampers...Are there alot of members using these dampers????
MKGrinch
Prints-a-lot

Post by MKGrinch »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
That is a great point that I forgot about, I think I will change my recommendations to include those for a new build because they really do
work great at reducing noise from the steppers. Thanks for correcting me. :)

Mark, we have a user named astroboy who is selling the dampers, send him a pm by opening the user list (the colored icon at the top), find the astroboy user, I think you right click the name and PM is one of the options.
Ask him if he has any dampers for sale and what the cost would be for three of them.
The ezstruder does not normally need one.
atoff is correct, they make the printer much quieter.
Thanks Eaglezsoar I will pm him......this is all new to me, so i will be asking alot of questions lol.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I didn't install dampers, and I don't find the noise annoying.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

Me too! I don't have printed a lot (just 4-5 hours total), but at the moment it sounds like music to me :D
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
MDMD
Printmaster!

Post by MDMD »

Renha wrote:
Me too! I don't have printed a lot (just 4-5 hours total), but at the moment it sounds like music to me :D
The novelty wears off. Once you get the dampers you won't understand how you survived without them. I'm printing right now and the retraction noise from the extruder is all I hear... and it's too loud!
atoff
Printmaster!

Post by atoff »

Definitely one of the upgrades I'm very glad to have installed right off the bat. I can't say any of the other upgrades were necessary, unless you consider the quick disconnects for the hotend an "upgrade." I'd also have replaced the stock fan for the rambo with something else. It becomes very rattly and noisy after a short time. Mine sounds awful right now, and I'm waiting to reassemble my printer (currently upgrading hotends) so that I can print a new mount or adapter to mount a different fan.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

That fan is getting replaced here shortly for that very reason.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

+1 for the dampers. HUGE difference. 4-5 hours is very little time, but when you have MONTHS clocked on your printer and it's running right behind you.... as MDMD said "...you won't understand how you survived without them."
MKGrinch
Prints-a-lot

Post by MKGrinch »

Well I sent payment to astroboy...now just waiting for my big black beauty to arrive in 4 weeks....I will post in the build section....woohoo cant wait.. :D
Hans
Printmaster!

Post by Hans »

I'm in the same boat here too, waiting for my kit and planning out the necessities I feel it may need. I've decided so far the only mods I am going to do in the initial build are the dampers and probably a threaded thermistor for the hot end. There are a few things I'll do later on, but that's it for now I think.

-Hans
MKGrinch
Prints-a-lot

Post by MKGrinch »

Hans wrote:I'm in the same boat here too, waiting for my kit and planning out the necessities I feel it may need. I've decided so far the only mods I am going do in the initial build are the dampers and probably a threaded thermistor for the hot end. There are a few things I'll do later on, but that's it for now I think.

-Hans
Hello Hans and congratulations on your purchase of this fine kit!!!! I just got my dampers from astroboy, quick delivery and a nice product....It was a pleasure doing business with him. :D I hope you post alot of pics in your build.. I pick up all the stuff i need for my build, just time stands in the way..have fun with your build :D
Mark
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

MDMD wrote:
Renha wrote:
The novelty wears off. Once you get the dampers you won't understand how you survived without them. I'm printing right now and the retraction noise from the extruder is all I hear... and it's too loud!
So, I think you are saying that it would be worth installing a damper on the extruder motor as well ?

I am awaiting delivery of my first kit.
I am right on the edge about getting these.
I am feeling a bit uncertain about setting the gear 3/16 farther out than the end of the shaft, or as someone suggested 0.225
Is there still plenty of shaft for the set screws to grab ?

Astroboy offers a set of 3, doesn't suggest 4 - what am I missing ?
Catfang
Plasticator

Post by Catfang »

RegB wrote:
So, I think you are saying that it would be worth installing a damper on the extruder motor as well ?

Putting a damper on the extruder motor isn't really possible (or at least not helpful), as it is not mounted the same way.

>^,,^<
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

Catfang wrote:
RegB wrote:

Putting a damper on the extruder motor isn't really possible (or at least not helpful), as it is not mounted the same way.

>^,,^<
Thanks for the info - hopefully I get my kit tomorrow and this will become painfully obvious (-:
Answers to my other newbie questions too...

Maybe a few months from now I will be scratching my head wondering why people can't WAIT for their kits before
asking obvious questions.
critical_limit
Printmaster!

Post by critical_limit »

Hi,

I´m waiting for my V2 as well and going throu this forum. Dampers sounds good to install. But where I can get these dampers and where to buy?
Anybody have a link to these recommended dampers?

Thanx
Dirk

**** Found the dampers and ordered ***
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Just finished installing a new 40mm fan for the Rambo, The one that came with my kit made to much noise, like from dry bushings. The one I installed has ball bearings. I can't hear it now, and had to reach my hand inside the base to make sure it was running.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
MKGrinch
Prints-a-lot

Post by MKGrinch »

Mac The Knife wrote:Just finished installing a new 40mm fan for the Rambo, The one that came with my kit made to much noise, like from dry bushings. The one I installed has ball bearings. I can't hear it now, and had to reach my hand inside the base to make sure it was running.
That's kewl... A nice quiet machine!
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Mac The Knife wrote:Just finished installing a new 40mm fan for the Rambo, The one that came with my kit made to much noise, like from dry bushings. The one I installed has ball bearings. I can't hear it now, and had to reach my hand inside the base to make sure it was running.
Mine has been noisy and has had squealing bearings since it was new also. It has quieted somewhat with time but I think that I will have to change mine also. Just hate to pull the Rambo back out and unsolder the fan. When it is replaced it will get a plug connector added!

nitewatchman
MKGrinch
Prints-a-lot

Post by MKGrinch »

My V2 came in!!!! Woohoo!!!! :mrgreen: I picked up some dampers from Astroboy!! Thanks Astroboy for the great service! Also I picked up a Heat Cart. for the extruder :D Keep your eyes peeled at the building section...I am sure I will need some help here and there :D Thank you for the forums, it has been helpful so far!!! See you all on the flip side :lol:
Mark
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

nitewatchman wrote:
Mine has been noisy and has had squealing bearings since it was new also. It has quieted somewhat with time but I think that I will have to change mine also. Just hate to pull the Rambo back out and unsolder the fan. When it is replaced it will get a plug connector added!

nitewatchman
I also added threaded inserts to mount the fan to,,,,, I assumed that they provided tie-wraps so no one would run a screw into the back of the Rambo. I had printed a 60 mm to 40 mm fan adapter,,, but when I checked it out, it was going to sound like a Hoover, so I nixed that idea.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”