How to adapt a modular Corsair PSU to the Rostock Max V2?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
Steel_Neuron
Plasticator

How to adapt a modular Corsair PSU to the Rostock Max V2?

Post by Steel_Neuron »

Hey there!

This is a bit of a spinoff question from my thread about the default PSU on the Rostock blowing up in the first 30 minutes.

I've purchased a Corsair CS750M to replace the default PSU. It's modular, and my problem is that I haven't really messed with PSUs before and I'm concerned I will cut the wrong cables (they're not precisely yellow and black like the ones on the default conveniently were).

So I would love it if you could give me some pointers on how to adapt this new PSU to the Rostock Max V2.

Thank you!
Steel_Neuron
Plasticator

Re: How to adapt a modular Corsair PSU to the Rostock Max V2

Post by Steel_Neuron »

Okay I've been reading a bit about this on my own, and here's the gist I'm getting:

The green and black cables that go to the Rostock power switch will have to come from the main 24pin ATX main power cable. Thankfully the Corsair PSU has these in their appropriate colors so that should be easy.

About the yellow and black ones, it seems to me that in case of the Corsair I could harvest them either from the two PCI-E cables (If I got it right, they're basically composed of 12v and grounds) or from the 4 pin ATX+12v cable that is plugged in by default. In both cases, it's going to be quite stressful because Corsair makes all their cables black (expect for the aforementioned 24 pin main power cable. Style points for them, I guess. I imagine the layout is the same for every cable ever right? I'm sooo going to sweat over this.

Apparently I don't need to worry about using diferent rails, but I guess I should ask to be on the safe side.
LASERMAN
Printmaster!

Post by LASERMAN »

You should get a volt meter and verify your 12v and ground. They are really cheap - you don't need the top of the line model.
Steel_Neuron
Plasticator

Post by Steel_Neuron »

LASERMAN wrote:You should get a volt meter and verify your 12v and ground. They are really cheap - you don't need the top of the line model.
That's a good idea! Not sure how I didn't think of something so basic.

I'm guessing I should put a Jumper between the green PS_ON wire and a black ground wire to get the PSU started without being plugged into anything. Damn, I'm inexperienced with these things :P
Steel_Neuron
Plasticator

Post by Steel_Neuron »

Just wanted to update you guys to say that the problem is solved :).

I installed the new Corsair PSU and everything is working perfectly. I've gone through the whole calibration process and I'm looking forward to print my first piece tomorrow, wish me luck!
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

Good Luck :)

If you have calibrated it correctly it should be fine!
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”