Injection Molded Cheapskate Carriages Upgrade

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
soul_reaper_38
Prints-a-lot

Injection Molded Cheapskate Carriages Upgrade

Post by soul_reaper_38 »

What is everyone's take on this? I assembled my printer a few months back and it seems to be working fine. Is it not worth spending money on since my printer is working or will it save me in the future from having to readjust those wheels?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Injection Molded Cheapskate Carriages Upgrade

Post by Jimustanguitar »

It all depends on how you feel about it... The new carriages are lighter, easier to assemble, have a lower parts count, and don't require any periodic adjustments. Plus they just look cool, and that's most of the placebo. The original carriages are probably sturdier, can be adjusted to taste, and were made out of wood which made them very hackable for tinkerers. I guess the best way to sum it up is to say that a sturdy set of the new plastic carriages and a set of well adjusted V1 or V2 carriages should perform identically. They're different, sure, but neither one would be the weak link in the chain and have an effect on your prints under normal circumstances.
soul_reaper_38
Prints-a-lot

Post by soul_reaper_38 »

Jimustanguitar wrote:It all depends on how you feel about it... The new carriages are lighter, easier to assemble, have a lower parts count, and don't require any periodic adjustments. Plus they just look cool, and that's most of the placebo. The original carriages are probably sturdier, can be adjusted to taste, and were made out of wood which made them very hackable for tinkerers. I guess the best way to sum it up is to say that a sturdy set of the new plastic carriages and a set of well adjusted V1 or V2 carriages should perform identically. They're different, sure, but neither one would be the weak link in the chain and have an effect on your prints under normal circumstances.
I appreciate that, thank you. I was hesitant to buy it unless there was a good reason for it. I can certainly do without it then.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

For new builders, not having to do the adjustment dance is worth it all by itself. The new design also makes installing the belts nearly painless. Check out the new manual - they ARE a lot better all around.

I'm hoping someone will put LEDs in them that will blink in a pattern that's in sync with the travel direction. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
briankb
Printmaster!

Post by briankb »

I just received my kit today and went back to the product page to find assembly instructions which were absent.

Are they in the manual now?
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Download the docs again. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
briankb
Printmaster!

Post by briankb »

I looked at the Orion docs earlier before I posted and didn't see the new carriages. (edit - new carriage assembly is in the Max manual). The end stop screws that are included (at least with mine) are about 1/3 the length of those shown in the manual. They barely have enough thread to make the depth the manual says is needed. I imagine this will create some issues when I re-calibrate.
Attachments
from Max manual instructions
from Max manual instructions
from kit parts
from kit parts
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
SEBRET
Printmaster!

Post by SEBRET »

I was gonna say the same about the stop screws, thought they were rather short. Everything else looks good except for one aesthetic issue. One of the six clear pieces was so cloudy it was almost opaque. Just messes with my OCD a bit, lol. I haven't installed them yet but ill report back if there are other problems.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

geneb wrote:For new builders, not having to do the adjustment dance is worth it all by itself. The new design also makes installing the belts nearly painless. Check out the new manual - they ARE a lot better all around.

I'm hoping someone will put LEDs in them that will blink in a pattern that's in sync with the travel direction. :)

g.
Using a wheel mod that powers the LED's via movement so that no wiring is needed as well! Just like those gyro-powered wheels on kids shoes...
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”