Another E3Dv6 joins the ranks!

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
Krinje
Prints-a-lot

Another E3Dv6 joins the ranks!

Post by Krinje »

Hi, I just thought I'd show off the mount I machined, and some of the process, for the E3Dv6 I was gifted for Christmas.

I also had a quick request, could anyone point me to some solid, safe & robust connectors for an in-line connection for the hotend? In both cases I think crimping pins is a no-go, I always have metal fatigue problems (in other projects) w/o the correct tool. The thermistor needs to be a very positive lock, I don't trust a little red JST to not shake loose (also crimping problems).

The rest of the pictures are available here: http://imgur.com/a/5j90J

The two long pins are for wire management via ziptie and or heatshrink, sort of a hitching post.
[img]http://imgur.com/tWbMveI.jpg[/img]
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Re: Another E3Dv6 joins the ranks!

Post by Windshadow »

good looking mount
i used these from amazon for the heater resistors
LHI 10 Pairs XT-60 XT60 Male Female Bullet Connectors Plugs For RC Lipo Battery
[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BPzD45wrL.jpg[/img]
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

That looks production ready... When does shipment start? ;-)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Krinje
Prints-a-lot

Post by Krinje »

Those connectors look great, thank you. Solid, cheap, available, perfect.

Alas, No plans for reproduction, sorry. Unfortunately I work in 'a' shop not 'my' shop.
drunkenmugsy
Printmaster!

Post by drunkenmugsy »

Get a crimping tool? Seriously the JSTs work just fine. There is enough friction grip with them if you relieve wire stress. If you really must use something else there are several types of connectors from the RC airplane and heli world out there. Most of them are JST-like but with soldered connections.

IMO if I can run my RC SCT truck 35-50mph on dirt, jump, land, or wreck and cartwheel many, many times without issue using JSTs it will be just fine on our little rostocks.

I used some of the above XT60 connectors for the hotend. That is the only one that really needs something bigger than the small JSTs.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

The 2 pin JST (little red ones) are great for the thermistor, fans, etc... but I wouldn't use them for the heater cartridge.
I did use the XT-60 for the hotend and they are very good, a bit bulky though.
Martín S.
Krinje
Prints-a-lot

Post by Krinje »

The difference is that if the JST disconnects on your truck you crash, if a JST disconnects or shorts on the thermistor I could start a house fire. Its always a balance of safety risk and cost and I see a few more dollars for a connector I'm more confident in being well worth it. An apples to oranges anecdote is not good enough for [my] safety.

With that said I think I'll look around for the 'JST-like' solder able connector. (I do have a tool I'm just inexplicably bad at crimping).
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Krinje wrote:The difference is that if the JST disconnects on your truck you crash, if a JST disconnects or shorts on the thermistor I could start a house fire.
Actually if it disconnects or shorts the print will stop and the LCD will read def, because the resistance on the ADC pin will go out of the allowed range.

The way that fires can start is a failed MOSFET on the heater or a thermistor that woks it's way out of the hole in the hotend, both result in uncontrolled heating.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

actually, if the JST on a thermistor disconnects, then the thermistor will read as defective, which should cause the printer to kill all heat, making you lose the print. The thermistor itself breaking is far more likely to cause problems (notably, if a lead snaps and shorts to the extruder body, the resistor leads, or the fans.) I would not want a soldered connection, due to solder not being designed to deal with flex at all, much less long term, continued flexing. You will see more fatigue in a soldered wire, as is noted in the Rostock manual, regarding why you largely should solder the wires.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Krinje
Prints-a-lot

Post by Krinje »

Good to know (about the firmware), thanks.

~Sigh, Alright I'll give in and use those little red JSTs

I'm still thinking I like the XT60, or its little brother the XT30 connectors for the resistor, both of which are massively overrated for this application (If I'm not insane minimum 2.5amps, safety factor of x2 for 5? making the XT30 6-12 times more than necessary). Good Idea or should I find something more crimpy while I'm at it?
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

Krinje wrote:Good to know (about the firmware), thanks.

~Sigh, Alright I'll give in and use those little red JSTs

I'm still thinking I like the XT60, or its little brother the XT30 connectors for the resistor, both of which are massively overrated for this application (If I'm not insane minimum 2.5amps, safety factor of x2 for 5? making the XT30 6-12 times more than necessary). Good Idea or should I find something more crimpy while I'm at it?
I was having problems with the JSTs till I watched this video and got a ratchet crimper to hold the pin... before was trying to juggle the pin the wire and cheap crimper with only 2 hands when the job needed 3 drove me nuts[youtube]http://youtu.be/Vptd2n5p5-I[/youtube]
can't get the youtube tag to work
https://youtu.be/Vptd2n5p5-I
Last edited by Windshadow on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

I've had a couple of JST connectors fail where the pins pop out. This is with premade pigtails and self made crimps.

I ordered some of the 2 pin connectors for the next build. They seem fairly robust without being too bulky.

http://www.dta-labs.com/collections/hot ... connectors

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”