Firmware settings corrupted

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Firmware settings corrupted

Post by DeltaCon »

Hmm, seems like problems are stacking up instead of down...
While trying to find a relative easy way to make gcode scripts in MatterControl either Repetier, I switch between those a lot today. Somewhere at looking and changing firmware settings I Repetier Host managed to screw up a lot of values. I found a lot of values with added 3 zeros behind it, like the steps per mm: 80000 instead of 80, but there are a lot more affected settings. Would someone be so kind to make an export of all firmware settings in RH (MC does not offer that function...) and post it here or send to me by PM? So I can reference your values to my own. This because a lot of weird thins are happening, but it must be in there somewhere...
Thanks!
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Re: Firmware settings corrupted

Post by DeltaCon »

Desperately looking for a solution I decided te reflash the original firmware and start completely anew with the calibration. So that bear is off the road (freely translated from a dutch saying).

But now the some kind of related problem...
When I power up and connect, pressing the reset button on the machine homes as it should. Also homing from MC works as before. Now, when I click the Z-, sometimes that works as intended, and sometimes I hear a humming sound and the skates move up real slow until the endstops stop them. When it does, I can normally home again and the skates come down a bit again. Now if I go into the terminal and g1 z200, that works normally. from that point on I can use the MC controls also normally. So it is just that after homing, the MC controls seem not to know what to do...

What I also noticed: since I reflashed the firmware (the original from the SeeMeCNC website) the knob on the machine functions the other way around, and is not conforming the user manual anymore. It functions, but just opposite as mentioned in the manual, and that was certainly not the case before I flashed... Are the machines taking over?

Well and the problem that started the whole expedition into firmware in the first place is still there. When I g1 z200, the machine goes actually to z200.96. It does that only when using MC. RH does not seem to do the same odd thing.

I hope someone can give a plausible explanations (and solutions).

Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

This is a lot of guess work from me so take it with a bit of salt.
the display module changed from the old version to the new red PCB type last year and in my case when i but the printer my knob worked in the opposite to what the manual said but when i refreshed about a week later it had changed to go the other way so I guess the firmware was changed a bit to deal with the red PCB at that time. there is a thing in the anduno files to change it but since it now aggress with the manual I left it

Part Daddy had a blog entry for it but I seem to have lost the link.

I hope this helps
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Thanks Windshadow, but I guess the backwards functioning knob is the least of my problems. I just mentioned it in case it would be related to any of the other problems I encounter. Following your comment I can rule that out.

The skates going up most of the time after homing instead of down gives me a uncomfortable feeling that something dangerous is going on, and troubles my confident in my setup. However for a month or two this printer has been behaving just fine. I really hope someone has seen this behaviour before and can give me a clarification.

So, after reflashing my firmware yesterday, when I power up and connect, pressing the reset button on the machine homes as it should. Also homing from MC works as before. Now, when I click the Z-, sometimes that works as intended, but most often I hear a humming sound and the skates move up real slow until the endstops stop them. I have seen this behaviour in two different traveling speeds. After the skates go up, I can normally home again and the skates come down a bit again. Now if I go into the terminal and g1 z200, that works normally. from that point on I can use the MC controls also normally. So it is just that after homing, the MC controls seem not to know what to do...

The reason I flashed was that I found some corrupted firmware settings after playing around a bit with Reptier Host and OpenDact. Somewhere along the line strange changes were introduced. At first I reset all values according to the configuration.h found on the seemecnc website. After that I had lots of problems getting to calibrate Z-height. Using the paperdrag method I set max Zheight at almost 400, but after homing the machine thinks Max Height is 700 somewhat. After repeating Max Z height grows to above 1000... I can ensure that my printer has not grown though...

DeltaCon
Printmaster!

It's MatterControl... Not the firmware!

Post by DeltaCon »

So, it seems that no-one here is familiar with the problems I have encountered... Lucky for all of you, but not for me! ;-)

I took it one step further, and actually paid attention to the terminal output while operating MatterControl. And I see very strange thing... I really want to share here!
Take a look at this piece of exported Terminal log:

->G28 X0 Y0 Z0
->M114
<-X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:395.71 E:0.00

After homing I see this, which looks quite normal
When I press the Z- button in MC, the head should move 10mm downwards ofcourse, but I see this:

->G91
->G1 F3000
->G1 X0 Y0 Z386.67 ===>>> THIS DOES NOT LOOK NORMAL (it goes UP a lot, but somehow in a lot slower pace)
->G90

Ofcourse the machine stops when the endstops are pressed. When I home again the usual appears and a normal homing takes place:

->G28 X0 Y0 Z0
->M114
<-X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:395.71 E:0.00

When I click Z- again, this time the following happens:

->G91
->G1 F3000
->G1 X0 Y0 Z0
->G90

And ofcourse the machine does not do anything doing a relative move of 0mm.
When I click a third time on the Z- button I see:

->G91
->G1 F3000
->G1 X0 Y0 Z-10
->G90

and the head moves down 10mm as it should...
So clicking 3x in a row on the same control, gives 3x a different result.
Somehow I a loosing confident in MC and regaining confident in my machine.

Someone experienced MC acting up like this before? I tried de-installing and re-installing to no avail.
Since Repetier Host dus not suffer from this maddnes, I might step over, but I really like the uncomplexiness (?) of MC.

DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Hmm, I guess my problem is either unseen before, or not very interesting ;-)
I have conducted further calibrations within Reptier Host, and have been printing some test with good results.
Still I would like to learn if there is some way of "resetting" Mattercontrol to get rid if it's strange behaviour.

Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I reset Mattercontrol to the curb. I initially used Repetier, and then spent the money on Simplify 3d. I do not print for money, but got tired of Mattercontrol's "updates" changing how it operated.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Wel I have not been around in the 3d print scene to have seen any different version to the one I am (was) using.
Although I like the simplicity very much, I too for sure am not very enthusiastic anymore after the events that happened...

Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I'll say I've never encountered it before. Then again, I mostly just calibrate with Mattercontrol, and print off SD cards. It may be that there's a glitch in the USB to serial chip (It could be that FTDI's latest drivers for those chips have decided to give it garbage data), as those parts are apparently difficult to source consistent quality on. Beyond that, well, the Arduino Mega the Rambo is descended from is known to screw up it's firmware and memory at times. So it may just be the SoC is flaky (which would also be unusual for a RAMBO)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

(It could be that FTDI's latest drivers for those chips have decided to give it garbage data)
I just don't think that that is the case. The serial chip would give "garbage data" through RH also. And I don't think it is garbage data, because it is very consistent.
But thanks for replying anyway.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”