S3D version 3.0 is out

Forum for all things related to Simplify 3D Software
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

S3D version 3.0 is out

Post by jmpreuss »

Haven't had a chance to download it yet. According to the marketing it seems they have attempted to address many of the pain points of the product.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: S3D version 3.0 is out

Post by KAS »

Nice, I'll have to check it out tonight.

This was a big one
"New options to specify the internal infill pattern including 5 new popular infill patterns"

https://www.simplify3d.com/software/changelog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Yeah it's badass. "retract while wiping" will be rejoiced for some on this forum!
*not actually a robot
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I'm heating up my printer for my first test run of it!

Already reported my first bug.

I haven't figured out the 'detour factor'... no matter what I set it to, the travel moves appear the same. Might be the part I'm working with.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

They explained the detour factor on the forums

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*not actually a robot
Holy1
Printmaster!

Post by Holy1 »

AND they now have included an UNDO feature. great for support placement
Orion to Cartesian http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

bot wrote:They explained the detour factor on the forums

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know what it is, just not how far to crank it up
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Umm, they tell you that...
If the following equation is true, then the toolpath will comb the outer edge rather than cross over empty space.
(TravelDistanceCrossingOverEmptySpace)*(DetourFactor)<(CombingAcrossThePerimetersDistance)
*not actually a robot
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Awesome! Will I be prompted to download the new version when I open S3D or do I need to go to the website and download it manually?
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

A couple days ago, you had to go to a special link to upgrade your account... that may change soon.

https://cloud.simplify3d.com/account/upgrade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*not actually a robot
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

That worked., thanks.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

So how incredible is it, actually? Is it the missing link in 3D printing, or is it only marginally snazzier than the freeware and opensource things that are out there?
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

It is, to be honest, on-par or marginally better than the FOSS alternatives, but for me the ease of use and streamlined workflow, and the support (printable support) make it worth it for me.
*not actually a robot
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I would agree that manually placing support where you need it is the next best thing to designing the part with built-in supports.

Also like configuring the profiles for each filament type(PLA,ABS,Nylon) each with their own settings (Med/High/Fast). Once you have it dialed in, just pick the type of material/ quality and it's all set.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

and there is a pirate version of the 2.2.2 version around the web... only 22mb, could it be real?
how much does the 3.0 weights?
Martín S.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Minus any bugs that might exist in the new version(to be expected) Its finally something I'd consider worth the $140.

The software is so much more flexible than freeware slicers. Settings, options, etc.

I have only printed one part on the upgrade but its 99% seamless. This is using my old settings with the "wipe while retract" option and a few other new features. I'm quite happy with it.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Tincho85 wrote:and there is a pirate version of the 2.2.2 version around the web... only 22mb, could it be real?
how much does the 3.0 weights?

3.0.0 is 23,636KB for the Windows 64bit version.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

So it could be real.. that's bad. They will lose lots of future clients.
If they would provide a trial version, people wouldn't risk themselves with a pirate version.

In my case, I would buy the program if it's worth it, but spending $150 with no chance of a preview it makes no sense.
Martín S.
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

will S3D tell you the amount of filament your part will use? are there any other software solutions that do?

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

stonewater wrote:will S3D tell you the amount of filament your part will use? are there any other software solutions that do?

Tom C
Yes, estimate print time, material quantity and cost before printing. 3.0 added feature " New option to specify the filament density for more accurate weight calculations"
I've never used it, not sure how accurate it is.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Tincho85 wrote:If they would provide a trial version, people wouldn't risk themselves with a pirate version.
^^^this^^^

stonewater wrote:will S3D tell you the amount of filament your part will use? are there any other software solutions that do?
Cura estimates the meters of filament and the part's weight when you slice it, too.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

And they added more infill patterns, Although taking a casual look at the two different "honeycomb" infills, I don't see any difference between the two.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

The first one is weird and I don't get why they even included, it prints a layer of partial honeycomb then a full layer of honeycomb and alternates. I've been using the honeycomb for a few prints, I like it. I leave all 3 angles in it but you don't have to if you don't want to. I'll print something with grid infill next time I print.

If I had to guess, it takes longer to print but its much nicer and more reliable than their previous methods.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Ok, business for my 3D printed fly reels has been great so I am going to use some of my sales revenue and purchase this 3.0 version if Simplify3D will allow me. I've read all the bug reports on their forum, par for the course given their history with new releases. But, I have enough customers asking for help with S3D that I need to invest a bit so I can help them out as best as possible. Stay tuned.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Off to a not so great start. At least the software installed w/o an issue this time around (on Mac). They still have the moderated first 2 posts in effect on their forum but at least they have a few mods now. This in my humble opinion is brain dead. It is not a way to prevent spam. There are better ways to do that without causing user angst. We implemented such a process on these forums and have eliminated 100% of the spammers without polluting the user namespace. But I digress...

Literally the first part I attempted to slice and print has problems with the generated tool paths. I posted on the S3D forum but don't expect any help. Take a look at the perimeter path generated around the star shaped openings - there is a little "dovetail" path that ends up leaving gaps in the final print not to mention looks horrible. Anyone seen this in v3 or earlier versions?

[img]https://forum.simplify3d.com/download/f ... &mode=view[/img]

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Simplify3D”