Update Available but not available?

U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

Update Available but not available?

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

When I run MatterControl, I get a notification on the top left saying an update is available. When I click on the control to download and install the update, it says something like "Getting update information" and sits there forever not downloading and not updating.

What's going on here? Anyone have a clue?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Update Available but not available?

Post by geneb »

Bug MatterHackers. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

geneb wrote:Bug MatterHackers. :)

g.
Is this a known issue that (being new to MC) I am not aware of? Like a perpetual inside joke about this bug that went right by me? Or, is MC buggy and poorly supported?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

"Bug MatterHackers" means go ask them. There's literally no one here that can answer your question, unless of course someone from MH stops by and says something.

MC does have bugs, but is as far as I'm aware, well supported.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

geneb wrote:"Bug MatterHackers" means go ask them. There's literally no one here that can answer your question, unless of course someone from MH stops by and says something.

MC does have bugs, but is as far as I'm aware, well supported.

g.
Just a little background info.

The Mattercontrol I am using was downloaded from SeeMeCNC, and is SeeMeCNC branded with their logo on the screen and their printers featured as the defaults. When it says a new version is available, I think it's reasonable to assume that this is a new SeeMeCNC branded version that will update everything to the latest SeeMeCNC MC release. If that fails to work properly, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask about it on a SeeMeCNC help forum.

I would be more inclined to expect that if I asked about this at MatterHackers, I would have been told "Go Bug SeeMeCNC".
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

There's a known issue with updates on the Mac, this could be related maybe.

You're right, it's not unreasonable to ask for help about SeeMeCNC branded software here. It's just not going to be super effective as the SeeMe guys slap a bitmap and a config file into the MatterHackers product but don't really change any of the code.

I think it's still worth asking here because you'll at least maybe get a feel for whether it's a real design/version issue or just you. But if you need it fixed or a workaround, bug the guys at MatterHackers. Ryan and co are really good at responding, at getting stuff sorted or at the very least helping you sort out a workaround.
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

Captain Starfish wrote:There's a known issue with updates on the Mac, this could be related maybe.

You're right, it's not unreasonable to ask for help about SeeMeCNC branded software here. It's just not going to be super effective as the SeeMe guys slap a bitmap and a config file into the MatterHackers product but don't really change any of the code.

I think it's still worth asking here because you'll at least maybe get a feel for whether it's a real design/version issue or just you. But if you need it fixed or a workaround, bug the guys at MatterHackers. Ryan and co are really good at responding, at getting stuff sorted or at the very least helping you sort out a workaround.
I've had this on a Laptop running Win7 and a desktop running Win10. No macs were harmed in the creation of this post.

I certainly didn't know that the branded version was as simplistic as you described. It presents itself as a SeeMeCNC version of the software.

The way you describe it, it sounds like the "update" notification is coming from a new version at MatterHackers, but perhaps it refuses to install because the updater is looking for the SeeMeCNC variation that may not exist yet because the guys didn't get around to making a new SeeMeCNC version (understandable, with the Eris coming out).

Speaking of the Eris, this is going to be a good "RTP" printer, so newbies who know next to nothing about software are going to run into this same "Update" issue, and come right here and ask the same question that I did, and they are not going to know MatterHackers from Adam. I hope by then the issue is worked out, or someone has some solutions to walk people through.
knabo
Printmaster!

Post by knabo »

YOu can clear this message by changing the update channel to Beta, let it check for updates and then back to Stable. Once it checks for updates it should clear the message.

Return to “MatterControl”