Source for Matte Black PLA?

Discuss filament successes and failures!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Source for Matte Black PLA?

Post by mhackney »

I love the look of the carbon fiber PLA I've been printing but there are some things I'd just like a matte black and don't need the expense of CF. Anyone know of a US source? I've googled several times and can't find anything. There is supposedly a source in Australia but their website doesn't list it.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
bot
Printmaster!

Re: Source for Matte Black PLA?

Post by bot »

The PLA I just got from filaments.ca is matte black. It just happens to be that way, nothing special is advertised about it. After it is printed, it is just as glossy as any other PLA. The gloss is determined by the "last extrusion process" as in the temp, speed, pressure of the last time it was brought above its Tg. In other words, if you want matte PLA, you have to find the right print conditions for it.

That said, I've had some white PLA that was so loaded with colourant that it was nearly chalky in texture. I'm sure there is some way to make PLA matte, but don't trust the look of it on the spool alone.
*not actually a robot
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

the toner plastic ABS from micro center has less sheen. the ABS in black really does look like toner cartridge plastic. yellow is the same, I have not tried the PLA but I would suspect since they are marketing it that way it may have the same sheen.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/searc ... lastic+pla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Thanks for the link Tom. I'm not too far from Microcenter. One of the comments on the PLA says it produces a nice matte black finish, so it's worth a shot!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Something I've been messing with ever since installing JFettig's geared stepper adapter. I'm able to print much cooler temps with that matte look. (using a geared stepper)

I'm not sure if other filaments will act the same as this black PLA. This is it's the exact same filament printed at way different temperatures.

http://www.amazon.com/AUGUSTO-1-75mm-3D ... B00TWW16F0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had to take it outside to get some light..
20150914_183015.jpg
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

There ya go! I'm going to try that.
*not actually a robot
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Yes, PLA will take on a different sheen printed at different temps but I'm talking about a real honest to gosh matte black like the CF filaments look when printed.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
jesse
Printmaster!

Post by jesse »

The E-Sun black filament from microcenter is between matte and glossy. It smells a little like ABS for some reason.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Blasting PLA parts in a "sandblasting" cabinet with silicone carbide abrasive gives it a nice matte finish.

Have you tried tumbling the parts?
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

I would have thought matte vs gloss was a function of surface finish rather than material, unless (in the case of CF) you had a bunch of notplastic included in the filament.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Brian, I have tried tumbling, just made them shine. I have a blasting cabinet with lots of media types. I hadn't thought of that 'cause I thought the media might stick in the PLA.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Captain Starfish - exactly. I was hoping to find some PLA filament with maybe diatomaceous earth or other "flattener" to cut the shine.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Well, the E-Sun from Microcenter is not highly glossy but it certainly is not matte black - so I'm back to the drawing board.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

mhackney wrote:Well, the E-Sun from Microcenter is not highly glossy but it certainly is not matte black - so I'm back to the drawing board.
Wasn't it toner plastics that was supposed to be more matte?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

That was toner ABS. I ordered the black PLA that one/more comments says is matte(ish). Not as matte as I'd like.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

mhackney wrote:That was toner ABS. I ordered the black PLA that one/more comments says is matte(ish). Not as matte as I'd like.
Yeah, toner plastics black PLA reviews say matte, http://www.microcenter.com/product/4196 ... _1kg-22lbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't see any black ESUN on the microcenter page at all.

Return to “Filament”