Proto-pasta stainless steel filament

Discuss filament successes and failures!
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Proto-pasta stainless steel filament

Post by Shizuma »

Not sure if anyone else has seen this or tried it, but I had ordered 125g spool of it on their pre-order page to try it out and it came it last week.

The results are pretty nice, the material has a lot more weight to it then standard filament and the finish looks pretty sweet once it's polished. I will say the filament seems a bit temperamental, mainly with trying to extrude it, I've found I have to print really slowly or the extruder starts slipping, I also had better luck printing at a higher temp, they recommended 215, I've been printing at 225, I used their recommended 50C bed temp and used purple elmers glue stick on it, had no problems at all with bed adhesion. I do need to figure out what's up with my printer though as my infill keeps having small gaps from the perimeter, I hadn't noticed that with any of my ABS parts, but most of what i've been printing lately doesn't have a smooth top surface like that so it could be it's having that issue and I haven't noticed it because of what I've been printing.

Anyways here's two things I've printed with it so far, this one is a pendant with the S.H.I.E.L.D. emblem from the Marvel movies/agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. tv show.
IMAG0988.jpg

This one is a pair Wonder Woman earrings, the top one is after polishing, the bottom one is what the print looks like straight off the printer. These were printed on a V1 Rostock MAX with an E3D v6 hotend with a .4mm nozzle.
IMAG0990.jpg
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Re: Proto-pasta stainless steel filament

Post by Glacian22 »

That is crazy cool!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Awesome, love the effect!
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Wow, what a difference polishing made! Very cool!
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Hows the part strength? I'm not expecting it to hold up like real steel, but is it excessively fragile?
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

It's definitely not fragile by any means, however it is weaker than ABS, I know the plastic they use in it is PLA, however I've never printed with PLA so I can't give a comparison to straight PLA, I had a ring I had printed with a 2mm thick wall, 8mm wide, I was able to break it but it took a decent amount of force to do so, I would assume it's somewhat weaker than straight PLA since it has the stainless powder in it. I will note though that in filament form it's pretty brittle so you do have to be careful then, I managed to snap the filament once trying to push it thru the extruder.

Return to “Filament”