Joining two spools to continue printing

Discuss filament successes and failures!
Josshe
Prints-a-lot

Joining two spools to continue printing

Post by Josshe »

Hello all,

I was wondering if any know of a way to join the end of one spool to the beginning of another spool of filament.
I don't have a failed print or filament reclaimer yet(please let me know where I may purchase a working reliable reclaimer) and i really don't like having a bunch of spools of filament with to little left on the spool to finish a print in progress.
Been extruding my own filament with great success but don't want to waste the partial amount left at the near end of the spool.

When I first purchased my RMax last year and did not know better, I was in the middle of a medium build print and noticed that the remaining filament would not be enough to finish the print so I reeled off the 10ft left and grabbed a new spool of filament and used a fire place lighter to melt both end and press them together and they actually melted together quite well! I then used a dremel sanding tool to sand back to near proper size.

It worked flawlessly and this was before i was extruding my own filament.
Recently i've been trying to perform the same feat for the same reasons and no matter how I try, I can't seem to get the to ends to bond together well enough to not break apart at a crucial moment.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still desperately looking for a reclaimer that actually works using electrical motor power.

Thank you in advance for any helpful reply(s).... :( ;) :D
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Joining two spools to continue printing

Post by Jimustanguitar »

RichRap has got you covered.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josshe
Prints-a-lot

Re: Joining two spools to continue printing

Post by Josshe »

Jimustanguitar,

Nice!
I found from that link another one as well!
Thank you!

Return to “Filament”