ERIS Early adopter feedback

The ERIS Delta, a truly affordable entry into Delta 3D Printing
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: ERIS Early adopter feedback

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Milamber wrote:3 immediate questions...

What filaments are usable with the Eris?
Does the machine require a constant USB connection during a print or can I start a print and then disconnect?
Will it be upgradable in the future? If so, what upgrades do you envision?
From John at SeeMeCNC: $599 - 5" dia 6" tall build area - non-PEEK hotend - no LCD, entry level but upgradeable in the future - primarily PLA, but will be capable of others as well, may need to roll your own heated beds, but TGlase and PLA are no probs. - Glass build surface for flatness - Single fan for hotend/part cooling (sneaky ductwork in the molds)

So to answer your questions:
1. Tglase and PLA work with the unheated bed.
2: USB will be required and cannot be disconnected. (There is no LCD or Card Reader)
3. The possible future upgrades have not yet been envisioned except for different hotends but knowing SeeMeCNC as I do, they will be rolling out upgrades for it but which ones are not defined.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

What does "roll your own heated beds" mean?
It's not how fast you print, it's how well you print fast!
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

that it does not ship with a heated bed and that if you want to use filaments that require one that you will need to make use of a the assets found here on this forum and the experts who help us all (note I am not one of the experts i am also new to the hobby)to add one yourself
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

It is likely that adding an OctopPi will be one of the first things I will try.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Also, just to make it clear, while there is no LCD on there yet, as it's a Mini-Rambo, it will support one, and shouldn't even need an adapter board. It also has the terminals/fets for a heated bed, up to 15A (Same as the full size one), but lacks a second extruder driver and fets for that. it uses standard car style fuses for everything, rather than some annoying nano-fuse, and has less of the IO broken out, so adding a second extruder would be painful. However, the Eris is a little small to having it go beyond dual extrusion, if they would even be able to work well in the constrained area (having seen one, I half to wonder if you could print a 4 color disk 50MM in diameter with a kraken)

I imagine that there will be active bed heating put together at some point, as well someone will design an LCD holder for it.

Until an LCD or other UI is attached, it will need to be tethered,

And if you can keep them attached to the bed, virtually any filament will work. You won't be printing PEEK anytime soon though. Just the realistic filaments (Peek supposedly wants a 90C chamber temperature, and costs a fortune). If you add bed heating, it should be able to handle ABS and PETG, or almost anything fairly easily.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

This might be a dumb question but how would the addition of an LCD allow for it to be untethered? Also, is there a place on the housing to add one?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

The LCD is more than just that. It has an SD card slot and rotary encoder, which give you both storage space and a (rudimentary) UI. I am just too lazy to call it a "Smart controller", think UI is insufficiently descriptive, and MCU is giving it too much credit. As far as a spot on the housing for it, no. There isn't one designed into the ERIS (They are not the cheapest pieces of hardware, going for 45$ for the one that the Max usually uses, and it cuts that as it isn't necessary (Most printers use them for calibration mostly, but the Eris should be capable of self-calibrating), in order to keep the price down). And since one isn't provided, there isn't a slot allocated (I would have to look at the EASM's again to see if there is any internal space for it), as that would look very out of place and cut-rate, having a slot that there is nothing to go into.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Well, I went ahead and ordered a smart controller while I await delivery. https://ultimachine.com/collections/ele ... 8570852743
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

Mac The Knife wrote:Well, I went ahead and ordered a smart controller while I await delivery. https://ultimachine.com/collections/ele ... 8570852743
How do you plan to mount it?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

That is yet to be determined,,,, I'll print an enclosure for it, and attach it to one of the sides,,,,,, although after watching Olly fight to get the bottoms on, that could be a lot of fun.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

Running the cables to the board might be interesting. Is the controller ready to go out of the box or will the printer require some sort of software update to use it?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

That, I don't know. I'm sure someone will chime in on that question.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Post by themitch22 »

I ordered the last of the 10. I'm excited to have a more out-of- the-box experience with a delta printers. I have experience building a richrap 3dr. I'm hoping this is more polished. I haven't seen any high resolution images of the sample prints yet. Also I noticed the Eris looks like it has bushings or just nylon carriages that slide on the rail, not ball bearings, is this true? And for adding a heated bed, is it the same 170mm glass plate size that's standard for the Kossel mini?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

themitch22 wrote:I ordered the last of the 10. I'm excited to have a more out-of- the-box experience with a delta printers. I have experience building a richrap 3dr. I'm hoping this is more polished. I haven't seen any high resolution images of the sample prints yet. Also I noticed the Eris looks like it has bushings or just nylon carriages that slide on the rail, not ball bearings, is this true? And for adding a heated bed, is it the same 170mm glass plate size that's standard for the Kossel mini?
You are correct about the bushings sliding on the rails, there are no ball bearings.
The size of the glass plate is 146mm Diameter.
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Post by themitch22 »

I see 3 plastic clips, I'm assuming we could mount a heated PCB using those as screw holes, we would need to isolate the heat from the plastic base. An option is to get a custom borosilicate glass and stick on a silicon heater pad. Good to know the mini-rambo has the option to add a heated bed. Another thing I'm looking at is adding acrylic panels to the sides.

Edit: I see you are selling 146mm borosilicate glass for the Eris, that will be nice. I guess glass with gluestick works well enough for PLA.

How is the Eris going to compare to the Orion?

And could you post any example prints? I'm just curious of the general part quality, I plan on carrying this around as sort of a fun demo for local maker events, to encourage kids and other makers what they can build. I'm looking forward to having a truly portable delta printer.

Thanks for answering my questions quickly. This is my first seemecnc product and you guys rock!
Kevinvandeusen
Printmaster!

Post by Kevinvandeusen »

eagerly looking forward to demoing the eris at two makerfaires in the next two weeks!
Distributor of SeeMeCNC in South Carolina
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

The folks at SeeMeCNC have been busy... just got a shipping notice. Let's see how long it takes for UPS to deliver to NJ.
I am ready to put the little machine through its paces.
Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

Haven't gotten mine yet. Possibly here by the weekend if it ships today.
Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

Does the Eris ship with the polycarbonate film for the build plate?
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

There is not a heated bed with the standard Eris. You can print many filaments.

AlanZ, not sure if JJ designed a PI mount, but I know the guys have tested pi operation

Xenocrates is correct, no adapter needed to attach the LCD to the mini RAMBo. JJ & Andy double checked the LCD works. I have not designed the adapter yet...

Milamber, the LCD will plug and go, to expand on Xenocrates good answers about the LCD, the professional term is "HMI" (Human Machine Interface). The hardware which allows you to interact with the 3D printer control. Self calibrating (self aware? haha) is something easily obvious when you consider the powerful multiaxis accelerometer. You could auto calibrate a lot more than level, horizontal radius, and z height. John Oly & JJ reported every Eris Andy (Guanu) calibrates does so the first time! The test print on the bed is very nice looking!

Mac The Knife, it's not really that hard to get the bottom on the Eris. Andy & JJ stayed the night building the initial run and they plugged in a USB cord to help hold the mini RAMBo in place. The LED "Eris" logo looks cool, but the LCD holder I'd design would fit in that spot. There's also a lot of room behind there for a raspberry pi (hint hint). I haven't tried to fit one in there, but I think it'd go.

themitch22, the linear motion and materials are of my design. The slides and ball joints are injection molded acetal. No lube or maintenance is needed. They slide on hardened treated steel rails. The Eris has a year warranty for anything except hot end and build surface. My goal is to design and build products you'll have for many years!! The heated bed would lay under the glass, no screws or hardware is used to attach it. There is a recess for a Eris heated bed connector. There is not a heated available for the Eris yet. The Eris is smaller than the Orion. The print quality is very good in comparison.

A limited number of Eris headed to the Bay Area Maker Faire !!!

AlanZ - it left today. We toasted to this printer, Serial number 4, first to ship. I have serial number 1 for my collection. Two were release Friday. We're ramping up. The guys are all working very hard.

Milamber, everyone should get them by Thurs or Fri. The build sticker is "ULTRATEX". A piece of our FaBlam will work too, but we used ULTRATEX because it is printed and peels off easier. Purple can of Aquanet on bare glass works too and one can will last you more than a year!
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

PartDaddy, thank you for keeping us updated. It is appreciated!
Last edited by Eaglezsoar on Mon May 09, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

any sense when we can place an order for the sensing self calibrating hot end upgrade kit for the RMAX2?

also have you rough idea what the price for the kit will be?

just because you :ugeek: have all but knackered yourselves getting the Eris out the door :ugeek: don't think we will let you slack off and take a well earned vacation! :twisted:
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I just learned a new word - knackered..... :P.....I had to look it up!
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I was watching on Facebook live when Olly was putting the bottoms on. Inventing new, four letter, words was mentioned. :P
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Windshadow wrote:any sense when we can place an order for the sensing self calibrating hot end upgrade kit for the RMAX2?

also have you rough idea what the price for the kit will be?

just because you :ugeek: have all but knackered yourselves getting the Eris out the door :ugeek: don't think we will let you slack off and take a well earned vacation! :twisted:
How does the calibration actually happen? Does the host send a bunch of gcode commands and monitors for answers and the host calculates the calibration results, or does the host send a single command that says "calibrate" and the firmware does all the work?

Just curious.

Return to “ERIS Delta”