ERIS Early adopter feedback

The ERIS Delta, a truly affordable entry into Delta 3D Printing
Jetguy
Printmaster!

Re: ERIS Early adopter feedback

Post by Jetguy »

FWIW, Martin from Bondtech sent me a proposed design that is bolt on in place of the standard SeeMeCNC EZ-struder. The only different is the filament path is on the upper side, but that decision is so that the lever and spring is facing upward for easier access.

Here is a draft picture.
image002.jpg
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Looks nice, not that there is anything wrong with the extruder that comes with the Eris.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Is there a source for the bowden tube clip? Mine seems to have gone on an adventure.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Browsing through the CAD files that they posted for the Eris, the nozzle was called out as "86041 .4mm Nozzle".
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Printing with PetG, on Kapton tape, and a ventilated heatsink. Two Thumbs up!
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

PetG Skull
Attachments
13340844_10209651677957142_771723708_o.jpg
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Post by themitch22 »

The Full Calibration is failing now. I can't it to complete a full calibration now, it will just keep repeating itself over and over and never finish calibration. It fails at different parts of the process. I upgraded to the latest firmware and running the g-code script. Did anything really change? The last successful print the bed level was off enough to fail my print.
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Post by themitch22 »

Why will it tap three times on the outer plate area and sometimes it will tap three times in the inner print plate area? I finally got it to probe but it's very inconsistent when I run it multiple times. IS there some sort of acceleration issue when trying to get the accelerometer to react?
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

Ok I have updated my most recent Simplify3D profile. Been running it all day with quite good results (see attached pictures)
I will mention I run a desk fan while printing as well.

Cant figure out why the smoke stack is coming out like it does on this profile, need to do some more tuning. But I feel this profile is better than my first one and thought I should share it.

Credit to Jetguy for the starting gcode, I only modified it to raise the nozzle slightly higher from the bed while purging
13324270_10209018215433305_817088465_o.jpg
13293235_10209018215513307_2050977249_n.jpg
Attachments
Eris-05-29-2016.fff.txt
Current profile im using.
(Remove .txt)
(11.46 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Mac The Knife wrote:PetG Skull

It failed. a 20 loop x 2 layer rim wasn't enough to keep it stuck to the bed.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Jetguy
Printmaster!

Post by Jetguy »

DSC04014.JPG
Jetguy wrote:FWIW, Martin from Bondtech sent me a proposed design that is bolt on in place of the standard SeeMeCNC EZ-struder. The only different is the filament path is on the upper side, but that decision is so that the lever and spring is facing upward for easier access.

Here is a draft picture.
image002.jpg
Here is the actual printed version installed.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

themitch22 wrote:The Full Calibration is failing now. I can't it to complete a full calibration now, it will just keep repeating itself over and over and never finish calibration. It fails at different parts of the process. I upgraded to the latest firmware and running the g-code script. Did anything really change? The last successful print the bed level was off enough to fail my print.
The only time I had issues with calibration, was when I tried calibrating with the hotend at operating temperature. The PLA was oozing out of the tip and prevented the accelerometer to get a good signal.
Items to check, Is the nozzle tight? Adjust the temperature to 220C, turn off the hotend and tighten with a 1/4" nut driver, using a 1/2 inch open end wrench to hold the heater block from turning. Be careful of the thermistor wiring.

I only run the calibration code when I've messed around with the nozzle. How often are you re-calibrating?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Jetguy wrote:DSC04014.JPG
Jetguy wrote:FWIW, Martin from Bondtech sent me a proposed design that is bolt on in place of the standard SeeMeCNC EZ-struder. The only different is the filament path is on the upper side, but that decision is so that the lever and spring is facing upward for easier access.

Here is a draft picture.
image002.jpg
Here is the actual printed version installed.
Looks good. I suppose you can't trim the base so you could angle the extruder to line up to the feed tube better? Prolly make the base look hacked up.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

It wasn't the PLA causing the issue, it was the temperature that the chip was at. When the hot end is heated up, the PCB hovers around 80c - this is at or slightly outside the operating temperature of the accelerometer - it won't return reliable results at that temperature. That's why auto-cal must be done cold.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

geneb wrote:It wasn't the PLA causing the issue, it was the temperature that the chip was at. When the hot end is heated up, the PCB hovers around 80c - this is at or slightly outside the operating temperature of the accelerometer - it won't return reliable results at that temperature. That's why auto-cal must be done cold.

g.

Perhaps "themitch22" could provide a little more information than he did. It's all speculation at this point on what's causing his problem.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Jetguy
Printmaster!

Post by Jetguy »

Mac The Knife wrote: Looks good. I suppose you can't trim the base so you could angle the extruder to line up to the feed tube better? Prolly make the base look hacked up.
The point was 10% for stock, and 90% for using with the Mosaic Palette which uses an external encoder about the size of a feeder attached with a short 6mm tube. I've run both ways (Palette or direct feed) with no issues. The alignment is not as bad as you think because this curve around the printer thing actually aligns the path right up and gives you access to start the feed.

I bought the Eris for 2 reasons.
#1 it's the smallest portable printer I like. There are others around, they all have major shortcomings. Eris is a tough as nails, properly designed, common components, well supported, open source printer.

#2 the design looked perfect for demonstrating with the Palette as the smallest possible 2 color package that fits as carry on luggage on airlines and I proved this flying back from Bay Area Maker Faire. 4 color printing that really works and fits into a small sized bag.
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

Cant wait to see the print quality Jetguy gets out of his Eris.. or the multi-color prints :o
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Post by themitch22 »

Mac The Knife wrote:
geneb wrote:It wasn't the PLA causing the issue, it was the temperature that the chip was at. When the hot end is heated up, the PCB hovers around 80c - this is at or slightly outside the operating temperature of the accelerometer - it won't return reliable results at that temperature. That's why auto-cal must be done cold.

g.

Perhaps "themitch22" could provide a little more information than he did. It's all speculation at this point on what's causing his problem.
OK, here's what I'm getting, with the nozzle at 27C. It has to redo the probing a few times. This video shows it working of course but you can see how the first time it tries to probe for Z-height it just stops and resets, in the terminal it shows "Z-probe failed". When I run it cold sometimes it will just keep repeating a failed z-probe 10+ times. I flipped the plate around at JATMN's suggestion: https://goo.gl/photos/n5NUMiwz5YksdQHQ8

I also noticed the first time I run it, the bed level taps on the outter perimeter of the plate, the second time I run it, it taps in the inner perimeter of the plate.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

They've set up auto-calibration to work in three steps.
1. Work out bed tilt. Probes 3 points.
2. Work out horizontal radius - probes 2 points
3. Set z height - probes 1 point.

Make sure the nozzle doesn't have any plastic on it and the build surface is clean. If you're still having issues, contact support tomorrow and explain what's going on.

g.
Delta Power!
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

Printed using my s3d profile set to about 30mms and temp at 215c for this Filament. Not enough infill for the base though.. but not bad. As was off the print bed not clean up.

I been getting better results without the print mat myself..
Flipped the bed over to bare glass side.. put hairspray on a paper towel and blotted the glass with it so it was textured.. let dry completely.. print!

Credit to designer: fantasygraph @ https://pinshape.com/items/5696-3d-printed-love-me
IMG_20160530_210859.jpg
IMG_20160530_210907.jpg
IMG_20160530_210915.jpg
IMG_20160530_210923.jpg
Last edited by JATMN on Tue May 31, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Post by themitch22 »

Welp it's completely stopped working properly. I used M502 to reset to defaults. I uploaded the current firmware three times now. I ran the Full Calibration GCODE many times and it now will have the head crash into the front left tower when it's probing. The nozzle is as clean as I can get it, the hotend is completely cold. I feel like it's storing some crazy values and no matter what I do it will repeat it when I run the calibration. I give up. I guess I can contact support (probably over email or ticket since I work during the day) and either get a replacement or some complete reinstall I'm missing. I'll probably go back to upgrading my mendel90 extruder and manually calibrating that to do prints. I bought this because of the auto-leveling but I see it's a feature that still has some bugs.
garfi3ld
Plasticator

Post by garfi3ld »

I had a similar issue but unplugging the Eris completely and completely restarting MatterControl fixed it
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

themitch22, try running the eeprom_clear program and then try a new firmware upload. The eeprom_clear program will ensure that you're not starting out with weird values. Please DO contact support - there may be issues going on that we're not aware of but they are.

g.
Delta Power!
gkrangan
Prints-a-lot

Post by gkrangan »

geneb wrote:themitch22, try running the eeprom_clear program and then try a new firmware upload. The eeprom_clear program will ensure that you're not starting out with weird values. Please DO contact support - there may be issues going on that we're not aware of but they are.

g.
Hi geneb,

Where can one find the EEPROM clear program? Can you please provide some pointers?

Thank you.
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

if you go to one of the SeeMeCNC web pages (other than this forum)
in the lower right corner is a button that during normal Biz hours will give you a text chat support connection.

This is a great way to get help its faster than email and creates a chat log that you can print out and have to hand as you implement the instructions that the support folks provide. Give it a try you will like it I am sure.
Last edited by Windshadow on Tue May 31, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “ERIS Delta”