gkrangan wrote:Hello Experts,
I'm new to the SeeMeCNC forums. I have some decent experience with 3D printers. I have also built and setup a Kossel Mini myself.
I saw this new Eris at my local MicroCenter over the weekend, and picked one up.
Overall, the getting started to my first print was pretty good.
- Getting the filament through the EZ-Extruder was a bit of a challenge. I guess, it requires a bit of a knack, but I finally managed to get it through.
- The cable connector on the hot-end was loose, out of the box. I noticed that during my initial inspection, and re-seated it, but it was still not seated properly. Thus the calibration process would get stuck. Finally, I managed to get it seated properly. But beware, the plastic around the pins is not very strong, and front-facing side broke, but it's kinda still hanging in there. However, it is flimsy for sure. Once, the cable was seated properly, the calibration went fine.
- The biggest issue I'm having is with the bottom layer. Please check out the attached image. Are others getting the same results as well (better, or worse)? I was going through the default settings, and there does not see like there are a whole lot of parameters to adjust, other than the following:
bottom_solid_layers = 5
I also see a similar issue with the top-later, but it is slightly better than the bottom-layer.
top_infill_extrusion_width = 0.6
top_solid_infill_speed = 25
top_solid_layers = 5
- Finally, the retraction length appears to be currently set to 4.5. I guess that needs to be increased, because I see some stringing.
retract_before_travel = 2.5
retract_layer_change = 0
retract_length = 4.5
retract_length_tool_change = 10
retract_lift = 1
retract_restart_extra = 0
retract_restart_extra_toolchange = 0
retract_when_changing_islands = 1
retract_speed = 100
Can anyone recommend what changes can be made to get a better bottom-layer finish? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Remember, I was complaining about weird bottom layer issues, earlier this week.
I'm happy to report that this issue is resolved, thanks to Mike @ the Columbus, OH MicroCenter.
He is quite experienced with various slicers, and has written one himself. I was discussing this issue with him earlier this morning, and he made a suggestion after reviewing the default Eris settings from SeeMeCNC.
There is a setting in the MatterSlicer config called first_layer_extrusion_width that is currently set to 180%, by default.
If this is reduced to 100% (or 0.6) instead, it fixes the weird first layer issues.
I tried the above, and it completely solved the first-layer issues I was having. Please see the attached picture for the results.
For others who may be seeing such issues with the first/bottom-layer, and are looking for better results, please try the simple slicer config change above and see if that helps.