Changing the Hot End?

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
corranthrn
Plasticator

Changing the Hot End?

Post by corranthrn »

I'm trying to figure out how to install a Volcano hotend on the Max v3. The hotend does not look very easy to swap, can't find any set screws to release to get the thing to drop out.

I also have a high-temp heatbreak attachment I would like to be able to swap out in case I want to print with PET. I couldn't find a good guide to how to do it.

I found this: http://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Step+1 ... ssembly/45

But it doesn't go into much detail how to change the hotend once it is all assembled...
djarmag
Printmaster!

Re: Changing the Hot End?

Post by djarmag »

The whole hotend and mount would be changed out, you would have to disassemble the old mount and desolder the accelerometer from the stock hotend. Then solder the heater cartridge and thermistor leads from the volcano into the accelerometer board and assemble into a new mount. There are volcano mounts you should be able to print or purchase from people that have fabricated it i.e. http://713maker.com/mounts.html

As far as PET, I was printing e-Sun PETG at 240c .3 layer heights @ ~50mm/s with stock setup with good results. I've upgraded to E3D V6 since then though.
corranthrn
Plasticator

Post by corranthrn »

Thanks for the reply, Djarmag.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

All things considered, I would recomend you buy a new effector+ball joint set with the hotend, and either a compatible socket or another accel board, so you can swap them out, as the E3D and the like have slightly more issues with PLA than the HE280 from my understanding (It's a small difference).
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

Xenocrates wrote:All things considered, I would recomend you buy a new effector+ball joint set with the hotend, and either a compatible socket or another accel board, so you can swap them out, as the E3D and the like have slightly more issues with PLA than the HE280 from my understanding (It's a small difference).
What accel board would you recommend? I just swapped to the new hotend and Bondtech QR recently and liking the control now. I haven't had the chance of using the HE280 with the Bondtech so maybe I didn't have to upgrade but I am on an upgrading spree at the moment to get rid of inconsistencies I've been experiencing. I plan to have separate hotend+mounts (E3D for general printing/Volcano for prototyping/Chimera for multicolor or multifilament support) for different applications so all I would have to do is remove the whip clip/Bowden/platform from the ball ends and put the desired assembly on and do a quick calibration. This would save me time and reduce chance of damaging anything with my clumsy hands. :lol:
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

With a Rambo, I would use the HE280 accel board. With a duet or smoothieboard, I would suggest a Yellowjacket quick change board with either FSR's under the bed (So you only need one set of sensors), or an IR probe board.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

looks like YJ is getting my money soon :lol:
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I will be releasing this next weekend at MRRF and will be available for order on http://www.tricklaser.com soon.
The "Get your groove on" special :D
20170317_121447.jpg
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

I am worried jumping from Accelerometer board to YJ on a Duet controller may cause issues when switching back and forth. I know I am not using the i2c now that I have FSR probing in place, but in your expertise would I require any tweaking when I swap back and forth with these boards or are they pass thru components? I just don't want to have too many setups and inducing more problems with calibrating/hotend/etc. My plan is to have the ability to jump from v6 to Volcano (and possibly dual printing)
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

djarmag wrote:I am worried jumping from Accelerometer board to YJ on a Duet controller may cause issues when switching back and forth. I know I am not using the i2c now that I have FSR probing in place, but in your expertise would I require any tweaking when I swap back and forth with these boards or are they pass thru components? I just don't want to have too many setups and inducing more problems with calibrating/hotend/etc. My plan is to have the ability to jump from v6 to Volcano (and possibly dual printing)
Currently the YJ plug-in board is not directly compatible with SeeMeCNC boards 8-pin plug. YJ plug-in board is 12 pin.
But we are working on a solution now.
Possibly an adapter for stock v3 harness.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

And there will be a conversion kit for existing Yellow Jacket users, so you don't have to replace everything. ;)
The MakerHive
Yellow Jacket Quick Clip Plug in board
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
Some things are meant to be closed, your mind isn't one of them.
There is a difference between what you know and what you have been told
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

Being able to "hot swap" (haha get it...hotend...) is awesome, definitely brings the excitement to 3D printing from printing detailed items to rapid prototyping just as fast as changing filaments!
sfuelberth
Prints-a-lot

Post by sfuelberth »

I just finished putting a Volcano on my v3 using the 713Maker.com effector. Works great and looks sharp.
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

I just got my Volcano and waiting on the 713Maker mount. Do I need to do another PID tuning and other cals (besides bed height adjust) since I already have an E3D V6 hotend or is it plug and play?
sfuelberth
Prints-a-lot

Post by sfuelberth »

I'd think you would have to tune the PID
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

That's what I was wondering, if it needs tuned everytime I swap out the hotend. :?:

Return to “RostockMAX v3”