Which Thermocouple to buy ?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Waycer
Plasticator

Which Thermocouple to buy ?

Post by Waycer »

Hey, I have a small question, where can I buy a good and cheap thermocouple ? I need it to check if the temperatures my printer shows are the right ones.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Which Thermocouple to buy ?

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Using a thermocouple will require modifying the firmware and wiring. I've done this on a pre-V3. Basically you have the thermocouple, which has a 'polarity' and must be wired the right direction, it goes to a signal amplifier board, and then you connect power ground and signal wires from the amp to your controller. The signal wire goes to one of the analog inputs...

Firmware wise, you'll have to change the temp sensor type, and specify which analog input you've wired it to.

Which type of thermocouple you use will depend on which amplifier board you're using, they have to match. A "K Type" thermocouple is what I've seen the most. Check the documentation for Repetier firmware (or open up the sketch and read the comments) to see which boards already have a built in temperature table. That'll be your best bet, and the easiest upgrade.
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Using a thermocouple will require modifying the firmware and wiring. I've done this on a pre-V3. Basically you have the thermocouple, which has a 'polarity' and must be wired the right direction, it goes to a signal amplifier board, and then you connect power ground and signal wires from the amp to your controller. The signal wire goes to one of the analog inputs...

Firmware wise, you'll have to change the temp sensor type, and specify which analog input you've wired it to.

Which type of thermocouple you use will depend on which amplifier board you're using, they have to match. A "K Type" thermocouple is what I've seen the most. Check the documentation for Repetier firmware (or open up the sketch and read the comments) to see which boards already have a built in temperature table. That'll be your best bet, and the easiest upgrade.
I think he is talking about a probe to test the temperature of his nozzle?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Ahhh..... If you want a cheap one, Harbor Freight sells a $20 multimeter that comes with a temperature probe :)
Waycer
Plasticator

Post by Waycer »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Ahhh..... If you want a cheap one, Harbor Freight sells a $20 multimeter that comes with a temperature probe :)
Okay, thanks for the informations !

Return to “Troubleshooting”