Defective part file?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
DLS3141
Printmaster!

Defective part file?

Post by DLS3141 »

I am having a problem printing a certain file and I'm not sure what the problem is, or even how to find the problem. I have a modified MAX v1 and I'm using Matter Control w the Repetier firmware. Though I'm not sure that the machine matters, since I can pring other parts with no issues.

What happens is this:

I import the .stl file into Matter Control and slice it, then export to the SD card. I'll start the print from the front panel, watch to make sure the first few layers are good and eventually, I'll have to go do something else. At somepoint when I return, the head is still moving, tracing what looks like the correct path, it's still extruding, but there's just a bird's nest of extruded filament all over, even spilling off of the bed. It's like the extruder just stopped for a few layers and then started again, making the part in free space or something.

I have tried:
  1. Re slicing the stl file
  2. Searching through the layers in Matter Control, looking for something strange
  3. importing the .stl file into Inventor, saving as a .prt file, then exporting as a .stl and re-slicing
All without success.
At this point, I'm not sure what to do. Is there a way to look at the Gcode? If so, what would I be looking for? Should I try a different slicer? Which one? Any ideas?
Khayrisill
Printmaster!

Re: Defective part file?

Post by Khayrisill »

Weird..

Hello, You can export the GCode and drop it here. But yes, you should try with an other slicer especially if your other parts are working. (cura, Slic3r...)
Your description looks like a temperature problem, did you check in the slicer if the temp for the layer is always the same ? Your first layer temp should be okay maybe not after this.

Romain.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Is this part using the same roll of material as the ones that are working? Sliced with the same settings?

I suspect this part is doing more retractions than the others, which reveals an underlying issue with a partial hot end clog or problem at the hobbed gear. What hot end and extruder drive are you running?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Printing with PLA? Turn off retraction and see what happens.
DLS3141
Printmaster!

Post by DLS3141 »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Printing with PLA? Turn off retraction and see what happens.
No, I'm printing with ABS. I have been using MatterSlice from inside MatterControl and until now have always gotten good results. I did try looking at the G-code from MatterSlice last night. I didn't see anything that stood out, but I also don't really know what I'm looking for and the files is over 750k lines.

After dinner, I tried using both Slic3r and Cura from within Matter Control. Slic3r just hung up everytime and I had to restart MC, but Cura worked fine. I copied that file to the SD card and started the print. It's about a 12h job, so I eventually went to bed. This morning, it was finished with no errors.

Of course, now I have more questions:
  • Do people commonly examine the actual G-code in text format?
  • If so, how? What's the process? Tools?
  • Is using an external slicer common? I've always just used MC or (long ago) Repetier Host because I could connect to and control the printer that way as well. I never print from the PC since I had problems with the USB connection going to sleep on me and killing the print.
As always, thanks to everyone for the help
Khayrisill
Printmaster!

Post by Khayrisill »

Good Morning,

I would say, one parameter is not correct when you slice with MC if its work with an other slicer. Honestly, for looking at the Gcode I do not really look at it, but at the beginning of it I verify if the value for the extrusion diameter is correct, the temp, the speed...
I never print from the PC since I had problems with the USB connection going to sleep on me and killing the print.
Yes me too, from the SD card its a good option, me I use Octoprint .

Return to “Troubleshooting”