Calibration Help

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
bwalch
Plasticator

Calibration Help

Post by bwalch »

Hello,

I have a Rostock Max V2 with upgraded with the HE280 hot end. I've calibrated the extuder, used the Delta calibration wizard, I get good first layer adhesion.. but no matter what I try with retraction, temperature... I can't seem to get prints without stringing.. see the attached picture of a calibration print. I'm not sure what to check next. This print was with PLA at 185 degrees and 4 mm retraction with a speed of 25.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20171105_174646.jpg
Khayrisill
Printmaster!

Re: Calibration Help

Post by Khayrisill »

Hi bwalch,

Your settings look good, maybe a little too much retraction, BUT are you sure that the printer retract ? its look like for little move the printer doesn't proceed to retract.
You can find this parameter in the slicer depending on which one you use it is with the parameters of retraction in kisslicer.

I do not know at all this hotend, but I could read some problems for some people. You can read this https://seemecnc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... lament-JAM
bwalch
Plasticator

Post by bwalch »

Hello,

Looking at the Hotend it seems to extrude fine. Are you saying that the incorrect seating of the bowden tube could be impacting retraction?

Thanks
Khayrisill
Printmaster!

Post by Khayrisill »

bwalch wrote:Hello,

Looking at the Hotend it seems to extrude fine. Are you saying that the incorrect seating of the bowden tube could be impacting retraction?

Thanks
Oh YES, because when you retract the filament go backward and remove over pressure but if the bowden is not correctly seat a "puck" is formed and during retraction
you removed the pressure up to the puck not after in the nozzle.
bwalch
Plasticator

Post by bwalch »

So I went through the process of clearing the Hotend jam and seating the bowden tube. As I pulled out the tube I did get a "puck" of filament so I thought I was on the right track. Tried another test print with the default Matter Control Slicer settings (2.5 retraction, speed 100...). Sadly I still got about the same amount of stringing. I'm printing with Hatchbox PLA. I've had the filament for just under a year. I store it in a plastic bag with desiccant. I've ordered a new spool to test with. Any chance this a filament issue (moisture...)?

My next step is to plan to check the Bowden Tube again. I also read something about adjusting the z-lift, mine is at .5, maybe I should drop this down.

Anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Khayrisill
Printmaster!

Post by Khayrisill »

What do you mean by " speed 100" ? try retract speed 20 - 25 mm/s max and if its you print speed its too fast. My other advice would be to use a 4 mm z-lift for PLA.
Indeed the filament could be a problem, but many other things come into account before that.

So, try reduce the speed and print slowly, be sure the bowden tube is correctly seat and read this article, http://www.sublimelayers.com/2017/10/mu ... art-2.html . it's a lots of knowledge about 3D printing.
bwalch
Plasticator

Post by bwalch »

Thanks for the reply. By speed, I mean the "The speed at which filament will retract and re-extrude". The default in MatterControl is 100mm/s. I'll try dropping that to 25mm/s.
I took a quick look at the article and it looks like it has some great info. More tests this evening.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

100 mm/s retract speed is way to fast for PLA.
Try 20 or 25

z-lift between 3 to 5 mm is a good idea also.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"

Return to “Troubleshooting”