Duet WiFi - Rostock V2

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
ramai
Printmaster!

Duet WiFi - Rostock V2

Post by ramai »

Me and my Rostock V2 have been on many adventures together. I swapped to a nimble and couldn't get the retractions working properly with the RAMBo so I took a break and wandered into SLA land. It's been fun having no layer lines, and less fun cleaning expensive resins, but now it's time to get back to my old buddy.
Most recently I've upgraded to the better power supply, and swapped out the RAMBo for the duet WiFi.
I've gotten mostly through it, doing mostly software now, but I had a few questions for people that have done this already:
1. The new power supply has added a new fan to the base thats wired directly to the power supply and is on full time. It runs at full power and is very noisy. I was wondering if there is a way to turn it down?
2. My peek fan is now always on, and doesn't seem to be associated with the temperature of the hot end any more. I couldn't find the place to adjust this.
3. I didn't get the panelDue, so I have no screen now. Is there a way to use the old screen? I haven't gotten to setting my Z-height yet, and I don't have a probe, I'm not quite sure how I'll go about it. Maybe punching in the G-code manually, unless the Duet Web Interface has some built in function for this.

Thanks!
IMG_2241.jpg
IMG_2240.jpg
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: Duet WiFi - Rostock V2

Post by IMBoring25 »

1) Not aware of anything but I'm not familiar with your specific PSU. I'm running all Meanwells now. Putting the side covers back on would probably help.

2) See https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code (the g-code reference) for M106 and add the command you come up with for your preferred behavior to your config.g.

3) As far as I know, the screen that came with the v2 is not compatible. If you have an old tablet lying around, you can just use it with the web interface and the experience comes pretty close, arguably even better since the controls aren't tethered to the machine. You can prepare the set of commands you need for leveling as macros and just run them when needed.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I'm going to mostly agree with IMboring. Now, you can buy quieter fans, such as Noctua or Silenx (Little bit pricy, especially on the small diameter fans.)

2) It should only activate when the hotend is above 45C by default (if it's connected to fan1) Try M106 P1 T75, where 75 (AKA, whatever number follows T,) is the trigger temperature for fan 1 (whatever number follows P)

3), while the Duet has a connector to allow hardware compatibility with those sorts of screens in theory, AFAIK, the firmware side support has not yet been implemented, and considering that the web interface is pretty much top notch (If I actually had a connection between my workshop and my desktop, I would probably never use the touch screen. Unfortunately, the touch screen is a lot cheaper than trenching in cabling, so that's what I went with)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Thanks for the input guys. I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks for a quieter fan. Right now its so loud I hardly want to turn the machine on. A much louder fan than what was attached to the RAMBo board. Do you think instead of wiring the board cooling fan directly to the PSU, if I attached it to one of the always on fan connections on the DUET that I would be able to turn it down a few notches in the duet firmware?
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

The PSU I have installed is the one sold by SeemeCNC, the Keling 12v 29amp. Upon further investigation, the noisy fan is actually the one that's built into the PSU. I'm not sure what can be done about that. Would be it be strange to take it apart and put a quieter fan in it?
Also of note, the board cooling fan is pushing so much air out, I'm concerned its cooling the heated bed off.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

ramai wrote:The PSU I have installed is the one sold by SeemeCNC, the Keling 12v 29amp. Upon further investigation, the noisy fan is actually the one that's built into the PSU. I'm not sure what can be done about that. Would be it be strange to take it apart and put a quieter fan in it?
Also of note, the board cooling fan is pushing so much air out, I'm concerned its cooling the heated bed off.
Tearing into it to put in a quieter fan has been done before. As far as the board cooling fan cooling the heated bed, if you have the hole directly in the center of your top piece of mellamine, there's a printed plug to fill it up to keep air from going directly to the thermistor (the hole itself was apparently a cutting error, and it's unlikely that incidental airflow will overwhelm the wattage of the bed heater, when it takes a concerted effort to remove smaller amounts of power from a CPU, so keeping the thermistor at the right temperature should handle most of your issues)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Some things I've learned: The noctua fan is very very quiet, but also it doesn't push as much air, so that's a trade off. One that I'm willing to make though. I also learned that noctua uses an inline resistor on their red wires to reduce fan speed and therefore additional noise. It's a handy trick I might use in the future for reducing noise on a fan if it's over cooling anyway.

I also took the PSU apart, and it was very easy. Just 6 screws and pull the case top off. Inside is a 12v 60mm x 15mm fan. You can actually fit the 25mm thick noctua fan in there but it's a tight squeeze. I couldn't find a noctua that was 15mm x 60mm.

I also learned that my specific PSU that SeemeCNC shipped me was defective. The fan was always on a full blast and it's not supposed to be. They've sent me a new replacement PSU. Good customer support!
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Is trick laser shutting down? I noticed they have very few products in their store now. I emailed brian asking if he could make me an FSR Plate for Onyx Heated Bed since they are out of stock, but he never returned my email. I hope everything is ok over there!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Ramai, I don't think any of us have heard much from Brian (You might try the seemeCNC facebook page or emailing Seeme, as he's somewhat local to them, and part of the local makerspace that Seeme supports, IIRC). If you need an FSR plate, and can put together a drawing of it (SVG or CAD), you could probably get someone with a laser or mill/router(Like me, or 713maker, or possibly even get SeemeCNC to consider doing a special part for you) to run one off. You might try these guys, they're local ish to you. http://www.serralaser.com/2d_laser_cutting.htm
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Hey Xenocrates, those are all good ideas. I've tried so far getting ahold of brian at TL since he was selling them for $20 on his store, no luck. I asked Seeme if they could cut one, they said they were a bit too busy atm to help with that. And I contacted serralaser and they want $165 to cut one out of acrylic because they don't do melamine. That's a no go for me. I guess I could hack one with a jig saw, but my Max V2 is pretty cute, I'd rather cut something nice for it :)
I've attached mr hackney's dxf file just in case you would be willing to cut and ship one for me. I can paypal or venmo you for the costs.
Thanks
FSR Plate - FINAL VERSION.dxf
(77.29 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

I finally got my printer up and running, and its doing its first print now. I've got the duet wifi going, and it made my printer 10x quieter. The upgraded power supply isn't too loud now that seeme sent me a replacement. Every now and again its internal fan comes on and cools it down but it's not overly loud. I have the berdAir cooling system, and that pump motor can get a bit loud, but mostly when it's trying to do heavy cooling on a bridge. The loudest part of my printer now is probably the peek fan. My hot end is the prometheus from distech, and my extruder is the nimble by zesty. That took a bit of fooling to get the settings right, but it seems to be performing well.

It's really nice to be printing again! Some of the biggest changes is not using matter control. I am giving cura a try, and sending the gcode output to the duet web interface. Cura was nice in that it had a rostock profile ready to go for me, and there are a lot of great options for slicing. I'll miss getting a text message at the end of my print though!

I don't have a panelDue or a zprobe so I did all of the calibration manually as described in the RMV2 setup manual. I got jammed up on setting the z-height but figured out you can send a G30 command on the web interface and a handy popup lets you control the Z. At first I was wondering why my z wasn't changing, but I realized the G30 was just a helper. I still had to then take that value and minus it from the M665 H value (ended up at 387.9) in the config.g file to set my new z-height, then reset the board. Not too big a deal since I don't do that very often. Anyway, I hope that helps someone else.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

It looks like I can make you the part, and ship it for not too bad a price (UPS says ~13$ to ship it). However, I don't have double sided melamine around, and haven't been able to source any I can actually get. I do have single sided melamine, but it seems to be less heat resistant that Seeme's. I also have some 1/4 IN baltic birch plywood, which I'd honestly prefer to use for it. The birch is cheap, strong, and I have plenty of pieces already. It's about $1.30 for the size of sheet I use (15x20, cut from a 5 foot square), so it's not too bad, but if you have any other laser cut pieces you'd want, and accept having in birch, I could throw some of those into the sheet.

So let me know if you want me to cut it from birch, and if there are other bits you might want. Otherwise, I wish you luck finding a source. (I suppose I should email Seeme and see where they get their mellamine, honestly)
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Be careful if you are driving the BerdAir pump directly from a Duet fan output. The high starting current of brushed DC motors can be too much for the fan mosfet. So you should use either a surge-limiting thermistor in series with the motor, or an external mosfet switch.
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Thank you for pointing that out dc42. I have a map here of how I set it up, a way that was recommended by the berdAir folks.
I did it exactly as they have laid out, I hope it's correct!
eSwitch&Duet.pdf
(796.93 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Xenocrates, that would just fine by me! I can easily paint the 1/4" birch white and no one would be the wiser. I know people like melamine because it is so flat, I don't think warping is an issue with birch right? That would be my only concern. Let me PM you so you can send me your payment details. I can do PayPal, apple pay, venmo, or whatever you find convenient. And thank you!

Return to “Troubleshooting”