print speed?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
ahgu
Prints-a-lot

print speed?

Post by ahgu »

ABS, 225/90 temperature, speed 30.
What is the fastest speed can I acheive with Orion Delta? I want to finish the part faster.

What is your setting? I set everything to 30, same as the Delta default.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: print speed?

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Experiment! Try different speed settings and see what happens. It depends on the model you are printing, the type of filament, the manufacturer of the filament and so on.
The speed you can print at will be unique to your printer and what you are printing so again, experiment! :)
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

It's a double edged sword. It's also elusive because doubling the speed won't even approach cutting the time in half... There are several speeds and accelerations that come into play.

The bigger enemy than mechanical speed is heat though. If you're laying down the layers too quickly, they don't have time to cool and solidify, and you'll just end up with a squishy mess.

To go down this road, you'll definitely want a layer fan first. Then I'd experiment with speeds by creating a test piece at 30 for a benchmark. Then crank it up by 5 or 10 each time and decide for yourself where you hit the speed/quality line of diminishing returns.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Jimustanguitar wrote:It's a double edged sword. It's also elusive because doubling the speed won't even approach cutting the time in half... There are several speeds and accelerations that come into play.

The bigger enemy than mechanical speed is heat though. If you're laying down the layers too quickly, they don't have time to cool and solidify, and you'll just end up with a squishy mess.

To go down this road, you'll definitely want a layer fan first. Then I'd experiment with speeds by creating a test piece at 30 for a benchmark. Then crank it up by 5 or 10 each time and decide for yourself where you hit the speed/quality line of diminishing returns.
Good answer Jim. Quick question for you, do you live very near SeeMeCNC headquarters?
int2str
Printmaster!

Post by int2str »

ahgu wrote:What is your setting? I set everything to 30, same as the Delta default.
As others have mentioned, there is a more complex answer to the question.

Layer height has a big impact on finishing time for a print though. So try a bigger layer height. For example, with my 0.5 mm nozzle, I print a lot with 0.3333mm as layer height.

That said, I print infill and some other parts around 50-60mm/s with my ORION.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

This is where Repetier Host's speed and flow multiply sliders come in handy! Like Jim suggested, slice at 30mm/s. Print and then use these sliders to increase the speed. I've found that I also have to tweak the temperature up a few degrees as I go faster and sometimes (especially with PLA) tweak the flow down just a bit. You can do a lot of experiments with a single gcode file.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
TeoNYC
Noob

Post by TeoNYC »

I've also been wanting to ask this question, and have been experimenting on my own. Currently I slice ABS at 15mm/sec for first layer, 30 for outside perimeters, 40 for interior perimeters and 60 for infill. Temp set at 230/95. Layer height is .2, .4 for first layer. I do not use a cooling fan. Infill is rectilinear at 20% density.

That said, I've also upped the acceleration up to 1.5 to speed up a large print. I haven't noticed much degradation in quality. There are some more burrs but that's about it. There is added vibration so if your desk/table isn't firm you may get some movement and misalignment in the layers, especially if you use honeycomb infill as it seems to vibrate more with the back and forth pattern.

Note I was in the Makerbot store in NYC, and their current default is a .4mm nozzle printing at 90mm/sec with a .15 layer height. Would love to approach that speed.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TeoNYC wrote:I've also been wanting to ask this question, and have been experimenting on my own. Currently I slice ABS at 15mm/sec for first layer, 30 for outside perimeters, 40 for interior perimeters and 60 for infill. Temp set at 230/95. Layer height is .2, .4 for first layer. I do not use a cooling fan. Infill is rectilinear at 20% density.

That said, I've also upped the acceleration up to 1.5 to speed up a large print. I haven't noticed much degradation in quality. There are some more burrs but that's about it. There is added vibration so if your desk/table isn't firm you may get some movement and misalignment in the layers, especially if you use honeycomb infill as it seems to vibrate more with the back and forth pattern.

Note I was in the Makerbot store in NYC, and their current default is a .4mm nozzle printing at 90mm/sec with a .15 layer height. Would love to approach that speed.
Make rbot is two four letter words around here and we generally don't foul up our forum with those words. :)
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

Speed alone won't decrease the print time. There is also acceleration and jerk settings in firmware as well. Both of which will prevent you from achieving the max speed you have set.
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

TeoNYC wrote:
As a rep2 owner who normally runs at 80mm/sec it's amazing how much not faster it is than 40mm/sec on the deltas. Unless you have a print with a lot of really long lines the acceleration software is going to take most of that speed out speeding up and slowing down on each line segment. That number you put in for speed is the fastest it can go and unfortunately with prints there is a lot of "city driving" instead of open highway.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Eaglezsoar wrote:Good answer Jim. Quick question for you, do you live very near SeeMeCNC headquarters?
I do. Goshen is about 30 mins away, and I see those guys at the local makerspace every couple of weeks. I'll send you a PM.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

mhackney wrote:This is where Repetier Host's speed and flow multiply sliders come in handy! Like Jim suggested, slice at 30mm/s. Print and then use these sliders to increase the speed. I've found that I also have to tweak the temperature up a few degrees as I go faster and sometimes (especially with PLA) tweak the flow down just a bit. You can do a lot of experiments with a single gcode file.
Eric from TrickLaser has experimented with the difference between slicing a part at high speed vs using the speed multiplier on "slow" GCode. Sometimes it works better one way or the other, it's interesting to think about and play with.
Navkram
Printmaster!

Post by Navkram »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
Jimustanguitar wrote:It's a double edged sword. It's also elusive because doubling the speed won't even approach cutting the time in half... There are several speeds and accelerations that come into play.

Good answer Jim. Quick question for you, do you live very near SeeMeCNC headquarters?
I am even closer than Jim bout 10 minutes from the house and I drive right past it couple times a week. anything I can help with?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Navkram wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote:

I am even closer than Jim bout 10 minutes from the house and I drive right past it couple times a week. anything I can help with?
No, I didn't need anything, I was just curious because a lot of messages seem to refer to living close and I was curious. I appreciate your response though,
it shows you care. I live on the East side of Ohio and many times I thought it may be cool to drive the 12 hours it would take to see the SeeMeCNC facilities
but my bad back will never take that. Again, thanks for caring enough to answer.
Navkram
Printmaster!

Post by Navkram »

OK no problem, I have learned a lot from your post maybe not responded to them but you are a great resource on here, maybe you can make it to midwest reprap festival march 14,15,16th you could kill 2 birds with one stone, their shop is only a couple minutes from the fairgrounds where the festival is being held.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Navkram wrote:OK no problem, I have learned a lot from your post maybe not responded to them but you are a great resource on here, maybe you can make it to midwest reprap festival march 14,15,16th you could kill 2 birds with one stone, their shop is only a couple minutes from the fairgrounds where the festival is being held.
Thanks for the kind words. I would absolutely love to attend one of those festivals but I am on full time disability and am limited in more ways then I want to get into one of
them being that I could never drive that far or sit that long. That's one of the reasons I am on the Forum so much, I use it for something to do that I can do. :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”