convince me to buy one.

A pre-assembled Delta Printer that can print a 6" cube 8" tall!
printer999
Prints-a-lot

convince me to buy one.

Post by printer999 »

Same as the title says. I am in the market for a 3d printer and am stuck deciding between the orion and the printrbot plus. What Gives me the most bang for my buck. What do you like about the orion and why do you use it. Also how long is the wait period for the orion? I really want to get the orion if I buy it within a week.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: convince me to buy one.

Post by Jimustanguitar »

There's no question... Go with the Delta machine. There's no frame to square the Z axis against on the PrintrBot, Delta machines don't have lash from lead screws, and you'll be capable of higher speeds and a bigger build volume.

I'd have to err on the side of SeeMeCNC as designers too. They're machinists by trade, and designed the Rostock and Orion with a lot of industry experience and expertise that many of the other hobbyist designed printers just don't have.

The customizability of the Orion is fun too. If you don't like a part, you can just change it. Everything's modular, and we're all tinkerers that are coming up with new ideas to try all the time.
Navkram
Printmaster!

Post by Navkram »

I have the orion and you will not be disappointed with it, right out of the box off the sd card, before any software installed on laptop, I had a successful print. and been impressed with every print since then. even printed things that others say is impossible with a fdm printer. I feel most or all the bad reviews of either the rostock MAX or the orion is purely operator error. and if there is a issue seeme is a phone call away and even on their site has a chat to talk directly to the guys that design and built it.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Printer999,
They probably can ship same day you order.
Really good solid machine, I take mine to maker meetings and back & forth to work with no issues of calibration.
Handy to transport also, just sets on front seat and go!
Unlike my MAX that is much bigger and a bit more of a challenge to transport.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

Do it.
DOOooooo IIIiiiitt....
Go on, Do it.
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

Lol lordbinky
Yes, they ship the next day M-F, however orders shipping on 1/28/2014 might ship 1/29/14 because of weather here.

> RAMBo control board (incredibly reliable)
> our online community (simply awesome)
> our customer service
> tricklaser.com is the first company to offer upgrade parts
> Made in the USA
> one year warranty
> and yes, as Jimustanguitar said, hack it !!

oh, I use it because I designed it :D
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
printer999
Prints-a-lot

Post by printer999 »

How hard would It be to increase the build area to about 8 in diameter. Just asking :D

EDIT: ok a few minutes later I just bought my orion and cant wait For it to arrive. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

@printer999

The ORION is setup for about 6" Dia build area. If anyone has noticed, the ORION Heated Bed has a usable diameter (marked by the white circle) of about 7-3/4" (196mm Dia). It's possible to reach outside of the 6" Dia circle where the platform does not interfere with the towers.

The frame and arms would need to be designed larger to reach 8".

Thank you for supporting us!
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Since 1996
printer999
Prints-a-lot

Post by printer999 »

PartDaddy wrote:@printer999

The ORION is setup for about 6" Dia build area. If anyone has noticed, the ORION Heated Bed has a usable diameter (marked by the white circle) of about 7-3/4" (196mm Dia). It's possible to reach outside of the 6" Dia circle where the platform does not interfere with the towers.

Thats great to know. And I just wanted to know for future reference

I hope it gets here to ohio by friday. I paid 3 day shipping. Also Your welcome. I cant wait to use your product. It is the first 3d printer that I have heard only good things about!
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

partdaddy, anything I should know about before I try this so nothing like this happens to me: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 528#p24528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
?
MarkW
Noob

Post by MarkW »

Hi All,

I too am in the market for my first printer. My immediate need is for a printer that can do 6x4x2.5 in^3. Do I understand correctly, that the Orion can do this out of the box? The website says otherwise.
Also, I haven't been looking at deltas because most people say they aren't for noobs. But from what I've seen on YouTube, the Orion is no more complicated than the Rep2 I use at work. Is this a fair assessment?

Cheers,
Mark
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

i dont have an orion but i think its V = pi*r^2*h, so 3.14*75mm^2*250mm => 4 415 625 (mm^3) =269.45797 in^3
MarkW
Noob

Post by MarkW »

Should have been more clear. The website says a 5x5" box is the max. I need a 6x4in box. It's not volume I'm concerned with, but the max dimensions for a rectilinear box.

Cheers,
Mark
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

MarkW wrote:Should have been more clear. The website says a 5x5" box is the max. I need a 6x4in box. It's not volume I'm concerned with, but the max dimensions for a rectilinear box.

Cheers,
Mark
so you cant rotate and build it 6" tall? have the 2x4 on the bed?
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

MarkW wrote:Should have been more clear. The website says a 5x5" box is the max. I need a 6x4in box. It's not volume I'm concerned with, but the max dimensions for a rectilinear box.

Cheers,
Mark
But the max dimensions of the machine aren't actually rectangular, they're circular. How do you think they should be stated?

In the case of boxes, you want to know is what diameter circle will that box fit inside of. And that's a simple math problem, using the old A-squared + B-squared = C-squared formula everyone learned in algebra class as a kid. For a 5x5 box, solving for C, that's sqrt(5*5+5*5)=sqrt(50)=7.07 inches. For a 6x4 box, that's sqrt(6*6+4*4)=sqrt(52)=7.21 inches. Now if you wanted a 7x1 box, that comes out to sqrt(7*7+1*1)=sqrt(50)=exactly the same size circle as the 5x5 box!

You've been given the most important number by PartDaddy, namely the usable diameter of the bed. Even though your 6x4 box needs a 0.14 inch larger diameter circle than the 5x5 box, I think it'll fit.

Or you could go with Bubba's solution, support for the top edge would be the main concern, assuming the box is open-top
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

I think mrbi11 ment at 140mm radius. That's 280mm diameter on the RMAX. The kit depends on mechanical assembly skills and carefully following setup in the manual. In Repetier, you can still slice a model that is outside the printable circle. On a maximum print size object, you can skip the loop around the outside and manually prime the nozzle by turning the extruder motor by hand just before reaching the print temperature. And yes, you can program a move outside the limits and crash. While those little NEMA 17's have plenty of power to do the job, I haven't seen one break the machine itself. The fun part for me is deliberately typeing in G1 Y150 F15000 (which will crash into the rear tower). The belt grinds on the pulley and an arm might pop off a universal joint, but you snap things back together and start another print. So even in a crash, you usually don't hurt anything (including yourself) because there isn't enough power to do any damage.

Here's a post showing a nicely leveled machine. Looks like a stock machine: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 274#p12274

While connected to the USB, enter MANUAL mode in Repetier. You can use the on-screen controls to jog the nozzle down to about 1mm off the bed. Move the platform left and right, then front and back. Look for even travel. First adjust level using the 3 screws on top of the carriage. Next, adjust the "printer radius" value to remove crown or cup (delta robots move in an arch if one leg of the triangle doesn't not have the correct value during move calculations).

We do this already on the ORION. Refer to the manual and quick start guides to begin. Because things get jarred around in shipping, you should check Z zero before your first print. It's in the guide.
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Since 1996
MarkW
Noob

Post by MarkW »

Eric wrote:But the max dimensions of the machine aren't actually rectangular, they're circular. How do you think they should be stated?

In the case of boxes, you want to know is what diameter circle will that box fit inside of. And that's a simple math problem, using the old A-squared + B-squared = C-squared formula everyone learned in algebra class as a kid. For a 5x5 box, solving for C, that's sqrt(5*5+5*5)=sqrt(50)=7.07 inches. For a 6x4 box, that's sqrt(6*6+4*4)=sqrt(52)=7.21 inches. Now if you wanted a 7x1 box, that comes out to sqrt(7*7+1*1)=sqrt(50)=exactly the same size circle as the 5x5 box!

You've been given the most important number by PartDaddy, namely the usable diameter of the bed. Even though your 6x4 box needs a 0.14 inch larger diameter circle than the 5x5 box, I think it'll fit.

Or you could go with Bubba's solution, support for the top edge would be the main concern, assuming the box is open-top
I would like it stated in a way that makes it easier to compare specs with Cartesian machines.
I get the Algebra, thanks.
What I want is confirmation from the manufacturer that going outside the published X/Y dimensions will not somehow damage the machine. I've seen others post on this forum that they have crashed their machines and burned out motors when attempting to do so.
@Bubbasnow - Yes I could rotate the part, but it's not ideal and would use a lot of material to create support structures I won't need if with a machine that can handle the X/Y dimensions I've stated.
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Ah, you've missed who PartDaddy is, then! He is the manufacturer.

Read this: http://seemecnc.com/pages/about-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

PartDaddy wrote: Next, adjust the "printer radius" value to remove crown or cup (delta robots move in an arch if one leg of the triangle doesn't not have the correct value during move calculations).

We do this already on the ORION. Refer to the manual and quick start guides to begin. Because things get jarred around in shipping, you should check Z zero before your first print. It's in the guide.
can you give me a screenshot of the printer radius value? Can't seem to find it
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

TFMike wrote:
PartDaddy wrote: Next, adjust the "printer radius" value to remove crown or cup (delta robots move in an arch if one leg of the triangle doesn't not have the correct value during move calculations).

can you give me a screenshot of the printer radius value? Can't seem to find it

[img]http://www.neurascenic.com/show/Diam.png[/img]
Last edited by neurascenic on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

MarkW wrote: What I want is confirmation from the manufacturer that going outside the published X/Y dimensions will not somehow damage the machine. I've seen others post on this forum that they have crashed their machines and burned out motors when attempting to do so.
@Bubbasnow - Yes I could rotate the part, but it's not ideal and would use a lot of material to create support structures I won't need if with a machine that can handle the X/Y dimensions I've stated.

Mark, I would be hesitant about pushing the Orion outside of the build surface provided. If you compare the two machines, the RMax has a little room outside of the heat-bed that can be futzed with. the Orion, looks like they pushed the the towers right up the to bed.

As I understand it, the actual build area of a Delta is not Circular, but rather a bulged out Triangle. kind of a hybrid of a circle and a triangle.

I am going to make an assumption here, but the specs are probably the circle that fits within this Bulged triangle. You might get a little more because of this, but probably not the amount you are looking for.

As far as increasing the size of the machine, the Deltas are reasonably changed in height, but not Width/Depth. Yea, it could be done, but you may as well start from scratch and build your own machine. As, all the mounting hardware, Effector Arms etc... would need to change.

Get a Rostock Max.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

neurascenic wrote:

This must be a joke right? I'm talkin about in the repetier software....
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

TFMike wrote:
neurascenic wrote:

If your looking for the #define printer_radius in config.h examples are in the assembly manual that gene has on the forum.
MarkW
Noob

Post by MarkW »

neurascenic wrote:Mark, I would be hesitant about pushing the Orion outside of the build surface provided. If you compare the two machines, the RMax has a little room outside of the heat-bed that can be futzed with. the Orion, looks like they pushed the the towers right up the to bed.

As I understand it, the actual build area of a Delta is not Circular, but rather a bulged out Triangle. kind of a hybrid of a circle and a triangle.

I am going to make an assumption here, but the specs are probably the circle that fits within this Bulged triangle. You might get a little more because of this, but probably not the amount you are looking for.

As far as increasing the size of the machine, the Deltas are reasonably changed in height, but not Width/Depth. Yea, it could be done, but you may as well start from scratch and build your own machine. As, all the mounting hardware, Effector Arms etc... would need to change.

Get a Rostock Max.
@neurascenic - Thank you. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

@Eric - Yeah, got that too. I still haven't heard from PartsDaddy though as to whether or not what I'm asking is advisable.
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

TFMike wrote:
Actually, it was not a joke.
Sorry, I missed the explicit request that it be in repetier.

Return to “ORION”