Hotend doesnt reach temperature after installed peekfan

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
simowaves
Plasticator

Hotend doesnt reach temperature after installed peekfan

Post by simowaves »

Hi, i recenly finished the printer, now i mounted the peekfan( the original one didn't work, so had to find anotherone, which i think is slightly more powerful old one was 0.1 amper, mine now has 0.26A).
now when i try to print the hotend reaches barely 180C.with the fan going full speed i think.
do i have to recalibrate the temperature somehow, or is there a way to controll the fanspeed? besides completly disconnecting it. For what is the peekfan even needed? it makes it just harder and more consuming to heat the hotend??

thanks in advance for any advice :)
geolupulus
Printmaster!

Re: Hotend doesnt reach temperature after installed peekfan

Post by geolupulus »

The PEEK fan keeps heat from 'creeping' up the barrel and melting your filament prematurely before it is closer to the nozzle. It will help keep your prints looking nice. It's more valuable when printing PLA due to PLA's lower melting temperatures. Since you're blowing air across the hot end you will definitely have changed the heating properties. You should do an autotune in Repetierhost. If your PID MAX Value (0-255) in EEPROM is not 255 I'd change it to 255. About the electrical requirements, that's outside of my knowledge base. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by guanu »

if you have a multimeter, measure the resistance of the heating resistors of the hotend... either at the crimps or the end of the wires.. you should get 3-4 ohms, if you get a reading of 8 or higher ohms, one of the heating resistors is out.. thats really the only reason that would prevent it from going beyond 180, and you do not want to run the peek fan at anything other than 100% as it prevents the hotend from jamming...

Guanu
simowaves
Plasticator

Post by simowaves »

Thanks for the quick response,
i think i solved the problem, I found out where to reduce the peekfanspeed, also run the PID auto-tune again, with the fan they old ones where completely off.
Btw which temperatures do you rekkomend, or is there another post? cant find it.

thanks again so much! Love this community:D
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

DO NOT REDUCE THE PEEK FAN SPEED.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
simowaves
Plasticator

Post by simowaves »

??what?, omg? why? :O
also the peekfan holder was printed whitout peekfan???
i'm not using it at all at the moment... does it overheat??
the print seems to be doing fine
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I don't know what the lack of a PEEK fan will do with ABS prints over time, but PLA will jam within 2 hours if it's not running. Had John wanted the PEEK fan to run at less than 100%, he would've set it up that way to begin with.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

guanu wrote:if you have a multimeter, measure the resistance of the heating resistors of the hotend... either at the crimps or the end of the wires.. you should get 3-4 ohms, if you get a reading of 8 or higher ohms, one of the heating resistors is out.. thats really the only reason that would prevent it from going beyond 180, and you do not want to run the peek fan at anything other than 100% as it prevents the hotend from jamming...

Guanu

Thanks!

I had the same trouble, but with a E3D. I tested the resistor and yes, it was 9ohms instead of 3. It turned out that I changed the cartridge (not intentionally!) when mounting. All they look the same! :-)

Changed it and now it is working ;-)

Return to “Troubleshooting”