E3D Release New Version 6 of HotEnd.

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

E3D Release New Version 6 of HotEnd.

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Good News! E3D has announced the release of the Version 6 of their HotEnd!
I have been a beta tester of the V6 HotEnd since April 11, 2014.
The first thing I did before receipt of the HotEnd was to purchase 4 rolls of
the least expensive PLA that I could find on Amazon.com thinking that these
would represent the worst PLA that could be found.

After receiving the HotEnd I mounted it on my Seemecnc Orion printer using
the http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:137140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mount by 626pilot. The nozzle on
the HotEnd was .35mm. Immediately I noticed that the layer fan that was being
used on the orion would not work with the E3D V6 because the nozzle on the V6
would not extend down far enough, so off comes the layer fan and an external 80mm
fan was rigged to be used as a layer fan. The V6 cooling fan stops the nozzle
from extending very far past the effector. The fix is a new effector design or
mount the V6 below the effector which I did not want to do on an Orion.

After mounting the V6, I loaded the first roll of PLA and it has been 40 days of
printing PLA and alternating ABS purposely trying my best to clog the V6 HotEnd.
My wife is the proud owner of Owls, cats, sea creatures and other PLA and ABS
animals and statues of every description. When I wanted to change to a different
roll of filament, I heated up the printer to PLA temperatures manually remove the
filament by hand turning the cold end knob, and inserting the PLA or ABS filament.
By the time I had finished with this project I can say that I actually became sick
of 3D printing and never wanted to Beta test another HotEnd!.

The results of the tests. Approximately 240+ hours of PLA were printed and over
125 hours of ABS were put through the V6 HotEnd. Try as a might, the HotEnd would
not clog or malfunction in any manner. Knowing the E3D HotEnds have a reputation
for clogging with PLA I was totally shocked that not once did this V6 HotEnd clog
or show any problems of any sort. I have used the V4 and V5 and have experienced
the PLA clogging but this one would not misbehave no matter what filament was in it.
I do not know what they did to fix it, but it just works. I do know that they have
spent more time polishing the inside of the heatbreak but I do not know if they
made any changes to the bore length.

The one negative that I can report has been true of all the E3D models and other
HotEnds. Because of the "peek" fan, the hotend does not extend very far from the
bottom of the effector and to use the effector mounted layer fans it the HotEnd
needs to extend further down. This is not the fault of the HotEnds, it is something
that needs to redesigned on the printer.

Others on this forum have also been beta testing the E3D V6 and I anxiously await
their reports. I would like to keep everything under this one topic, if possible.
I have included as attachments some pdf files that are mechanical drawings of the V6.
Also included are a few pictures of the V6. You will probably notice the V6 is
shorter than the V5 and here are the numbers.

V6 Direct HotEnds are 7mm shorter than V5
V6 1.75 Bowdens are 20mm shorter than V5
V6 3mm Bowdens are 23mm shorter than V5

If the other Beta Testers experience what I experienced with the E3D V6, E3D has
a clear winner on their hands and is the best HotEnd I have ever used.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: E3D Release New Version 6 of HotEnd.

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Some pictures to go along with the text.
v5 v6.jpg
v6 Block.jpg
v6 Duct.jpg
v6 Sink Duct.jpg
v6-175-Top.jpg
You notice there are two small screws to tighten and hold in the ceramic heater.
The other small screw is to hold the insulated legs of the thermistor.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

3 pdf files of mechanical drawings if anyone is interested.
V6-175.pdf
(87.1 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
V6-300-Bowden.pdf
(87.01 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
V6-300-Direct.pdf
(85.75 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Hi Eagle,
thanks for all your testing and detailed report.
looks like the biggest change is making it shorter AND running the bowden tube farther down inside hot end... all the way into heat break? I bet this is main reason it works so much better with PLA (filament no longer going through the metal bore and bridging the entry to heat break)
So, can it really be called a "All Metal" hot-end ?

Does it use the same large plastic bowden fitting that tube passes through? ...I really like those.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
SanjayM
Printmaster!

Post by SanjayM »

bvandiepenbos

Yup the PTFE tube goes right into the HeatBreak, but the PTFE passes off the filament to the break while it is still in the cold section of the hotend. This means that you're getting all metal high temperature performance with no chance of PTFE meltdown or cooking, but still PTFE lined for the vast majority of the filament travel. There is no heat anywhere near any plastics, the only hot parts are all still metal. Call it what you will, it works!

Much of the reason for the increased ease of extrusion is down to the HeatBreak finishing process which is completely changed. The next big factor is the change in nozzle geometry to reduce pressure needed to extrude. This was discovered and researched by Michael Hackney, so much credit to him here. The two factors of the HeatBreak finish and the Nozzle pressure actually interact with each other in interesting ways that I'll elaborate on in the future.

The Bowden couplings are now completely internal - you can see a total run down of design changes here: http://e3d-online.com/index.php?route=e ... blog_id=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which details the internal couplers. The new internal couplers use the same fantastic plastic collet with the steel teeth that grip the tubing as the old couplers, so grip and durability are the same, size is just smaller.

We still supply the plastic couplers for the other end of the tubing in bowden kits, and you can order them separately through the site as an individual item if you have another need for them.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I sent Josh an email this morning about my testing Sanjay. I really like the new V6 design. I installed it on a new Mini Kossel with smoothieboard. It turns out that my smoothie has a hardware issue and the extruder current is limited to about .4 amps! Even at that low current, I was able to get a good print with the V6 and a shortened bore nozzle. This is actually pretty spectacular, at the time I did not know about the current issue. As I started ramping up to faster speeds and lower temps, I got a lot of extruder skipping. Took a few days with the smoothie developers to diagnose the issue on my board. Simple issue but will be a few days before it is fixed and I'll be able to do a thorough test of v6.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

mhackney wrote:I sent Josh an email this morning about my testing Sanjay. I really like the new V6 design. I installed it on a new Mini Kossel with smoothieboard. It turns out that my smoothie has a hardware issue and the extruder current is limited to about .4 amps! Even at that low current, I was able to get a good print with the V6 and a shortened bore nozzle. This is actually pretty spectacular, at the time I did not know about the current issue. As I started ramping up to faster speeds and lower temps, I got a lot of extruder skipping. Took a few days with the smoothie developers to diagnose the issue on my board. Simple issue but will be a few days before it is fixed and I'll be able to do a thorough test of v6.
Did you do a bore test on the nozzle?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Yes, Josh told me that I was getting an original nozzle. I don't know if they made any changes to the nozzle. Mine was 1.1 mm. I kept it stock so when I have my smoothie working properly I can test it.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
elmoret
Printmaster!

Post by elmoret »

mhackney wrote:Yes, Josh told me that I was getting an original nozzle. I don't know if they made any changes to the nozzle. Mine was 1.1 mm. I kept it stock so when I have my smoothie working properly I can test it.
v6 nozzles have many changes, notably a standard L/D ratio of 2 across all nozzle sizes.
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

Eaglezsoar wrote:Good News! E3D has announced the release of the Version 6 of their HotEnd!...
Eaglezoar- Could you post some pictures of this installed on your Orion? I bought 2 (one for my Max and one for my Orion) and it would be helpful for me to see how you have it set up as I prepare for my install. This goes for anyone else that has one. I am pretty good with step by step instructions, need all the help I can get when I get a closer to the cutting edge.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

jmpreuss wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote:Good News! E3D has announced the release of the Version 6 of their HotEnd!...
Eaglezoar- Could you post some pictures of this installed on your Orion? I bought 2 (one for my Max and one for my Orion) and it would be helpful for me to see how you have it set up as I prepare for my install. This goes for anyone else that has one. I am pretty good with step by step instructions, need all the help I can get when I get a closer to the cutting edge.
Here are a few, the spacers add up to about 1.5"
GEDC0076s.jpg
GEDC0083s.jpg
GEDC0087s.jpg
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

Eaglezsoar wrote: The one negative that I can report has been true of all the E3D models and other
HotEnds. Because of the "peek" fan, the hotend does not extend very far from the
needs to extend further down. This is not the fault of the HotEnds, it is something
It should protrude thru a decent amount if you flip the duct 180 (e3d's site says it can be mounted in either orientation), I noticed it because I went and modeled it up and mounted it on the Rostock Maxx V1's platform to see if I could come up with a solution for it for when I get mine and it protruded thru plenty, then noticed you had your fan duct in the flipped orientation.
Attachments
PLATFORM WITH E3D V6.JPG
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

The v6 thermister mounting is much nicer now. I chose to use it rather than a screw-in thermister and it is very easy to install and secure. Nice and simple.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Shizuma wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote: The one negative that I can report has been true of all the E3D models and other
It should protrude thru a decent amount if you flip the duct 180 (e3d's site says it can be mounted in either orientation), I noticed it because I went and modeled it up and mounted it on the Rostock Maxx V1's platform to see if I could come up with a solution for it for when I get mine and it protruded thru plenty, then noticed you had your fan duct in the flipped orientation.
You are correct and I never noticed that when I mounted mine. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
JohnStack
Printmaster!

Post by JohnStack »

Hot ends are the new IT.

I'm going to put my old ones into the same pile as my Sony walkman, angel flights, and Donny and Marie albums.
Technologist, Maker, Willing to question conventional logic
http://dropc.am/p/KhiI1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

Has anyone made a version of the metal outlet of the EZstruder that's compatible with the 1/8" BSPP fittings e3d uses? Wanted to see if there was a source for them before I spring for a BSPP tap.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

JohnStack wrote:Hot ends are the new IT.

I'm going to put my old ones into the same pile as my Sony walkman, angel flights, and Donny and Marie albums.
Hahaha ... I was thinking the same, in that pile there is my iPhone 1 :-)
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

Ah, the v6 is good news for me. I print a lot if PLA and also wish to print nylon in the future. I think I'll order one Monday morning.

I have an RMax v2. Is the 3d printed top that Eaglesoar got from Thingiverse pretty much the standard right now or is there a better design? Also, I'm going to machine some custom 1.5" long spacers/standoffs rather then sticking two together (since I don't have extras). Is that length right?. What length 6-32 screws are you using?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

heathenx wrote:Ah, the v6 is good news for me. I print a lot if PLA and also wish to print nylon in the future. I think I'll order one Monday morning.

I have an RMax v2. Is the 3d printed top that Eaglesoar got from Thingiverse pretty much the standard right now or is there a better design? Also, I'm going to machine some custom 1.5" long spacers/standoffs rather then sticking two together (since I don't have extras). Is that length right?. What length 6-32 screws are you using?
I used 2" screws. I would wait until you receive the V6 before you make a custom spacer. You need to see how it will sit on your machine.
The holder I used is not the only one that will work on Thingiverse but it is one of the best and easiest to print and work with. You are going
to love the V6 and the way it prints PLA and any other filament you put into it. Happy Printing. :)
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

I just noticed an E3D v6 mount on Repables yesterday. I think that's the one I'll try first. I agree though. I'll wait until I get the hotend before printing anything off. Do you recommend buying direct from them or is there a distributor in the US?

Also, what electrical connectors did you use?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

heathenx wrote:I just noticed an E3D v6 mount on Repables yesterday. I think that's the one I'll try first. I agree though. I'll wait until I get the hotend before printing anything off. Do you recommend buying direct from them or is there a distributor in the US?

Also, what electrical connectors did you use?
http://www.filastruder.com/collections/ ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the US Distributor.

I used the Deans connectors like these, but you are free to pick from any 2 pin connector that can handle at least 10 amps.
I know the HotEnd does not use 10 amps but I leave a lot of room for safety margin.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PAIRS-DEANS- ... 2a3a8bd1c0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

Great! Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. :)
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

So I'm wondering, but is there any advantages to the V6 over the V5 for printing ABS? It seems everyone has been talking about the changes improving the ability to print PLA, however I never print PLA and never intend to so PLA printing ability isn't of any real concern to me, and with the V6's out the V5's are on sale at filastruder to I'm sure clear out the old stock, I'm debating if I should just get the V5 and save a little money instead of getting the V6.
Last edited by Shizuma on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnStack
Printmaster!

Post by JohnStack »

Shizuma wrote:So I'm wondering, but is there any advantages to the V6 over the V5 for printing ABS? It seems everyone has been talking about the changes improving the ability to print PLA, however I never print PLA and never intend to so PLA printing ability isn't of any real concern to me, and with the V6's out the V5's are on sale at filastruder to I'm sure clear out the old stock, I'm debating if I should just get the V5 and save a little money instead of getting the V6.
I understand what you're saying. I am waiting for two so I can try them w/ ABS. If I were to guess, the improvements might be applicable to both types - but more to address problems with PLA. I'm just hoping for some brainless printing..
Technologist, Maker, Willing to question conventional logic
http://dropc.am/p/KhiI1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

I wonder if some of the benefit is from the improved fan duct. I designed a new one for the v5 hot end that focuses on washing the very bottom fin, which I think is exponentially more important than any other. (In fact, I think the heat sink could be half its current height and work just as well. If the bottom fin is room temperature, what are the rest for?) Exhaust air is ejected out the side and two vents on the back, but kept AWAY from the heating and temp wires from the hot end so that it doesn't wind up getting redirected towards the hot end. I theorize that a lot of these hot end jams are because those wires are causing fan air to cool the hot end directly! After installing the new fan duct, duty cycle went down by about 10% (reflecting less exposure of the hot end to fan air) and there have been a lot fewer failures. It's still a pain on the 0.25 nozzle, but reducing speed tends to fix that.

Return to “Rostock MAX”