Item won't drop flat in Repetier

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Josshe
Prints-a-lot

Item won't drop flat in Repetier

Post by Josshe »

I'm using DesignSpark for my STL file creations.
Occasionally if I load a project, repetier won't place it flat on the table in the program and slices that error.

I created a octagonal 8 sided object and when dropped in repetier it rests on one edge.

Any ideas?
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Re: Item won't drop flat in Repetier

Post by Tinyhead »

Are you able to rotate it?
RAMTechRob
Printmaster!

Post by RAMTechRob »

I have the same problem occasionally. You have to use the X axis to tilt it to whatever degree it is off. Most of my stuff has to be tilted 90 degrees.
Josshe
Prints-a-lot

Post by Josshe »

I just found in DesignSpark that if i create a surface that has an angle and join that using the UpTo command, the item will drop in repetier at the angled position.
If I painstakingly align manually and join the object it lays flat in repeater as it should.
I even dropped the stl in Cura with the same none flat results.

I don't know if that's a bug in DesignSpark or something I need to learn.
Whenever I use the automated Move/UpTo functions it on none parallel objects it turns out this way.

I have tried to correct in repetier and it takes very minute changes that can take an hour to get it flat... very frustrating.

Now i'm starting get a skipping noise from the cold end extruder... grrr

I'm using PLA btw.
Josshe
Prints-a-lot

Post by Josshe »

In order for me to get the item correctly positioned I have to adjust both X and Y axis and that can be very tedious... :o

Should the Layer fan be off when printing PLA?
When it turns on after few layers I start to get a lot of the angel hair.

Occasionally i get a line of blob type balls on a few inside surfaces.
RAMTechRob
Printmaster!

Post by RAMTechRob »

Turn up the extruder heat a few degrees. I have to run at 202 when I am doing fast jobs. Look on the slicer forum for Oozefighting.
Josshe
Prints-a-lot

Post by Josshe »

RAMTechRob wrote:Turn up the extruder heat a few degrees. I have to run at 202 when I am doing fast jobs. Look on the slicer forum for Oozefighting.
Okay I will do... :)
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

Josshe wrote: Should the Layer fan be off when printing PLA?
Yes. If you don't have it on, the PLA won't cool fast enough and you'll end up with a blob of a print.
Josshe
Prints-a-lot

Post by Josshe »

Tinyhead,

Is it possible to print 3D text in DesignSpark?

I should what is you current preference for 3D sketching?
Are you still using Cura for printing?
I cannot get Cura to give me any option to manually configure the printer port/usb etc...
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

I'm still using an older release of Cura and at the time (if I'm not mistaken) it never did connect with the rambo. Newer versions may be different, but I haven't moved up in the releases.

For sketching, I only use designspark at the moment. Other than making the letters manually, there is no text option. I was actually looking into this the other day. Before the software became 'designspark mechanical' it used to have the option. I dont recall the name it was beforehand. I believe the best option would probably be to make the text in some other software and try to save it as a .object file. Import that into designspark and use the "combine" tool and cut the letters out.

I'm not sure if that makes sense to you.... took me a while to find much of anything for making it work.
Josshe
Prints-a-lot

Post by Josshe »

Tinyhead wrote:I'm still using an older release of Cura and at the time (if I'm not mistaken) it never did connect with the rambo. Newer versions may be different, but I haven't moved up in the releases.

For sketching, I only use designspark at the moment. Other than making the letters manually, there is no text option. I was actually looking into this the other day. Before the software became 'designspark mechanical' it used to have the option. I dont recall the name it was beforehand. I believe the best option would probably be to make the text in some other software and try to save it as a .object file. Import that into designspark and use the "combine" tool and cut the letters out.

I'm not sure if that makes sense to you.... took me a while to find much of anything for making it work.

Thank you so much!
You and a couple of others actually got me started. Though I'm still a noob.
Had another meltdown in the hot end today. The PTFE tube in the nozzle melted all the filament in the tube thus clogging up the works.
I've replace the peek when the thermister fell out but I'm thinking with the expense of always replacing parts in the hot end that maybe I should go for the E3D v6 hot end.
Thus no one has answered my question of, are there any modifications that have to be performed in order to accommodate E3D?

Anyhow,
Again I thank you.
I do understand all that you said... :)
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

You Need a different mount for the E3d. It uses a jhead style groove mount, I printed mine, but I believe that trick laser sells one.
gaexcalibur
Printmaster!

Post by gaexcalibur »

well considering I am a cad guy I will throw my 2 cents into the ring for parts creation. first, don't use autocad its just too much of a pain in the rear for 3d parts creation. personally I prefer rhinoceros 3d it can do normal shapes and more organic shapes without worry. plus you can do renderings which is nice if you are designing a part or component. I have used autocad, solid edge, inventor, pro-e wildfire, Rhino 3d, Ironcad and a couple of others and for price and use rhino is still my favorite. lots of fun just to play with a sphere, turn on the control points and start making totally bizarre shapes. but hey I am a cad nut I do this full time at work and play with it at home.
just me 2 cents though :)
Josshe
Prints-a-lot

Post by Josshe »

Polygonhell wrote:You Need a different mount for the E3d. It uses a jhead style groove mount, I printed mine, but I believe that trick laser sells one.
I'm going to print the mount McSlappy designed.
I believe it'll get the job done plus I get to print something that's useful... :D
Josshe
Prints-a-lot

Post by Josshe »

gaexcalibur wrote:well considering I am a cad guy I will throw my 2 cents into the ring for parts creation. first, don't use autocad its just too much of a pain in the rear for 3d parts creation. personally I prefer rhinoceros 3d it can do normal shapes and more organic shapes without worry. plus you can do renderings which is nice if you are designing a part or component. I have used autocad, solid edge, inventor, pro-e wildfire, Rhino 3d, Ironcad and a couple of others and for price and use rhino is still my favorite. lots of fun just to play with a sphere, turn on the control points and start making totally bizarre shapes. but hey I am a cad nut I do this full time at work and play with it at home.
just me 2 cents though :)

Thanks for the info.
However, I'm a noob to all of this and only use this as my newest and funnest hobby to go along with my R/C heli's, planes, cars etc... :shock:

I will stick with the free cad programs until I outgrow their functionality.
Rhinocerus is $495 ~ $795. I don't think I will ever get to the point that I'll want to swing that many clams but I've downloaded the 90 day trial version to have a looksey.

Thank you

Return to “Troubleshooting”