Show us your remote monitoring setup

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Show us your remote monitoring setup

Post by teoman »

My new rostock max v2 has been printing for a total of over 2 days now. The novelty has slightly worn off for the household (except me) and it seems that it is no longer welcome to reside in the living room dining table where it was born. Probably the 40 ish hour print had something to do with it.

Living in a very urban area (City of 18 million, paying 1.5k USD for a 2 bedroom 1 living room small apartment, spending 2 hours a day in traffic) i think i will have to stuff the printer to the nano-room which is about 4 m2, and then later in a cupboard there because wife uses that room to store her shoes. As i am relatively inexperienced with printing, i would like to be able to remotely monitor the prints and preferably cut off power if I detect that "Basturgach" has bungled it up again.

What have you guys come up with?
I have a raspberry PI that i could dedicate, a spare iphone 4, and a laptop with ubuntu and a gopro hero2. Can also get a hero3 if need be.

Thanks a lot in advance for any ideas.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Show us your remote monitoring setup

Post by Mac The Knife »

I doubt it's practical for you, but I just picked up a dropcam pro, So I can monitor it on my phone, and on my work pc. I have yet to come up with a kill switch for it.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

To kill it remotely, i had the idea of connecting by ssh or vnc or teamviewer to a computer connected tot he printer.

Another option is, i am controlling my living room lights with a relay connected to an arduino that is connected to my wifi router by a cable. If i change the modem config so that i can access it from the "outside" from a port. That relay can control the power to the board.

Can the gopro 3 be used just like your dropcam?
brent
Printmaster!

Post by brent »

Octoprint
Octoprint
Octoprint
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Downloading it now.
jeffhuber
Printmaster!

Post by jeffhuber »

You can also use repetier server.

I use an extra laptop and broadcast over Ustream - makes getting the feed anywhere really easy. Haven't gone for remote stopping a print yet. Generally just taxis home when things go bad.

I too live in a small, expensive apartment =)
Rostock max v2 with e3d v6
imagebuff
Prints-a-lot

Post by imagebuff »

Skype. Free, available from anywhere. Turn on autoanswer.

Chris
PopolZ
Printmaster!

Post by PopolZ »

Well I do not monitor my 3D printer as I never leave the house when it's on but I do monitor my CNC machine.
I have an incoming VPN connection setup on my computer and I just use remote desktop to control mach3 remotely.
For video I'm using a trendnet TV-IP851WIC. It's a cloud enabled camera so you can access from anywhere with a Cellphone.
Orion Delta Printer
3 Axis CNC router + rotary axis
Craftex B2229 Lathe/Mill combo
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Repetier server would be a good. I will also give that a try.

I am not a great fan of remote desktop type of things. The data overhead is massive. You have to transfer lots of video and all the mouse moves, keyboard clicks etc etc etc... just to send one single home command which is a couple of bytes.
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

teoman wrote:Repetier server would be a good. I will also give that a try.

I am not a great fan of remote desktop type of things. The data overhead is massive. You have to transfer lots of video and all the mouse moves, keyboard clicks etc etc etc... just to send one single home command which is a couple of bytes.

Not really. RDP running something like a browser on a site that has lots of animation usually only uses about 100kbps. With your cnc software full screen it should be a lot lower. I have a client that has a terminal server that has on average 5 outside users on it all the time. Doesn't really affect the internet at all. Teamviewer uses about 30Mb per hour from my experience. As long as you have a decent internet connection, I count decent as anything with faster than 1Mbps up, you should be good with a remote desktop type app.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

I have also had generally good experience with RDP's. However occasionally they can get slower. Also why waste the extra?

Teoman
GeekStreetSolutions
Printmaster!

Post by GeekStreetSolutions »

I have a Belkin WeMo Switch (http://www.belkin.com/us/F7C027-Belkin/p/P-F7C027/) that I plug my printer into. That way if something happens to my octoprint connection I will still be able to kill power to the printer.

Return to “The Lounge”