dead power supply upgrading to a better one (solved )

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Dad003
Plasticator

dead power supply upgrading to a better one (solved )

Post by Dad003 »

finished to install my e3d v6 hotend this afternnoon and while trying to recalibrate the thing , as soon i put the bed on the printer shut off by himself , it done that a couple of time and them nothing anymore look like i have a dead power supply , i found sometime that the 450watt supplied with the max v2 was not enough , i was looking to find one wit ha litt;le bit more juice , does a 750 watt or 850watts would do the jobs ? or the amps will be too much ? , with the stock power supply i see sometime that after some time the hotend was dropping in temps and not being able to move up unless you pause the printer , would it will be ok with a 750 or 850 watt ? dont want to blow up the rambo !

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX41211 for a 750 watt

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX52774 for a 850 watt
Last edited by Dad003 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: power supply

Post by Jimustanguitar »

If you want an upgraded supply, it's not the overall wattage that matters, but the current that it's rated for on the +12v rail. I think the stock supply is in the 16A neighborhood, so I ordered one that does 25 after cooking my first 2 ATXs.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

I think that the Corsair 750W is a Single 12VDC rail at 62A at least the RM750 is.
Dad003
Plasticator

Post by Dad003 »

the stock supply that come with mine is rated at max 22 amps , was not enough for the long print , it wasnt able to keep with the demand , will choice a 2x 12v
Dad003
Plasticator

Post by Dad003 »

finally bought the 850 watt on the link i put in my firstt post , it took 16 minute to reach 100 Celcius faster than with the stock power supply , only problem my new power supply is a little bit longer and dont fit in the oppening , had to put it beside the printer , the things is very quiet now i can calibrate again and run it after a month of waiting for parts and trouble now i will be able to enjoy that long week end
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

Dad003 wrote:dont want to blow up the rambo !
The different circuits on the Rambo are fused separately - if memory serves, you've got one fuse protecting the electronics and motors, one for the hotend, and one for the heated bed.

Another option to consider if you're not satisfied with heat-up times and bed temperature is a separate 24V power supply for the heated bed. There are several threads on the topic. I've got a 750W 24V supply for the bed driven off a solid state relay (SSR), and I can hit 105C in less than 5 minutes.
Dad003
Plasticator

Post by Dad003 »

im happy with my 15min , the stock one was taking ways longer than that , now at least i can run all the fan without fearing that i get a power drop and temps drop
JohnStack
Printmaster!

Post by JohnStack »

Dad - can you change this topic's title to something more descriptive?
Technologist, Maker, Willing to question conventional logic
http://dropc.am/p/KhiI1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Deleted post.
Last edited by Eaglezsoar on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dad003
Plasticator

Re: dead power supply upgrading to a better one

Post by Dad003 »

the mod can lock this thread if they want i solved my problem , bought the 850 watt power supply i put in the link in my first post ,

now the bed heat and power is soo flat same for the hot end the 450 watt supplied with the kit might not be enough to run everything on the long term

[img]http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/11/37/22/78/bed10.png[/img]
RegB
Printmaster!

Re: dead power supply upgrading to a better one (solved )

Post by RegB »

Mine came through with a 550 Watt supply and the V6 heated bed - an early July shipment.
I haven't timed it, but my guess is around 10 minutes to 90C.
I wouldn't want it much faster, I like to wait for the nozzle to stop drooling anyway (-:

It shut down a few times in the first week after I put all its "clothes" on.
I had run it "naked, with all its guts showing" for a while before that without trouble.
It seemed logical that if there was a ventilation issue with the power supply it would be the acrylic cover behind the Z tower, so I removed that first.
It hasn't shut itself down since.

I would like to measure thermal expansion some time, i.e. the diameter of the glass plate at one minute intervals.
If that takes 20 minutes to stabilize then there is little/no point in faster warm up.

Return to “Troubleshooting”