Setting PID on Hotend Properly

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
noishi
Prints-a-lot

Setting PID on Hotend Properly

Post by noishi »

I am having some issues with getting my hot end to achieve temperature once I put on the PEEK fan. When set to 228 degrees, it will climb to around 221-224, and struggle to go up to 228 if at all. If I increase the temp up to 230 or 232, it reaches higher temps. I think the PID tune values are off since they are calibrated to 200 degrees, rather than my working temp of 228. From my basic control systems knowledge, it seems like the "I" is too low and the "D" is too high, as the power to the hot end backs off too early. Anyway, has anyone else had this issue, and if so what is the best approach to resolve? I have tried recalibrating my PID twice since installing the fan, but have done it each time to the 200 degrees in the instructions, should I instead do it to a higher temperature? or if not, why not?
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Re: Setting PID on Hotend Properly

Post by BenTheRighteous »

I do mine to a higher temperature. Perhaps with a stock hot end, 230 might be a good choice?

The only reason that I am aware of to not go too high is that you wouldn't want to accidentally reach 247 and melt the peek during the tuning.

I am definitely not an expert, so if there's any other reasoning, I'd love to hear it.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
noishi
Prints-a-lot

Post by noishi »

I see, that makes sense. I reset the PID on my hot end and its reaching temperature much more smoothly. thanks for the tip! :D

When working with different temps, do you set your PID values with respect to the max temp you reach? I'm experimenting printing with different temperatures and filaments, and debating on resetting my PID each time I make a change of above 15 degrees until I get it dialed in.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I use autotune to get in the ballpark, then manually tweak the values. If it's set well you shouldn't need to change the tuning for different temperature etc.
lewis1914
Plasticator

Post by lewis1914 »

Did you wrap your hot end with tape? If not, wrap it. The old instructions don't mention this. The new ones do.
noishi
Prints-a-lot

Post by noishi »

I did wrap the hot end with 1 layers of tape, perhaps I should have done multiple? Once I retuned the PID the temps appear to be working well. Thanks for the tips all, its very much appreciated!

Return to “Troubleshooting”