Why I am staying on the Forum

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Why I am staying on the Forum

Post by Eaglezsoar »

For those who do not know, I have been on disability since 2006 because of back and other problems that can not be fixed.
After many surgeries the doctors have given up on me and after giving me pain pills I was told to live with it.
I can no longer spend hours sitting on the computer like I used to so my time on this forum will be extremely limited.
I also have have made many friends on this forum who I would like to identify but there are just too many, most know who you are.

I have asked PartDaddy, John and Mhackney to delete my account so that I am no sitting as the top poster, a postion that I no longer
want because I am no longer going to be active. Michael would become the top poster which I feel is the way it should be, he has earned it.
To date I have not heard a thing from any of the three so I assume they are against the idea. Now that I have made my wishes public perhaps
it will be done.

Some will be sad about me leaving others will rejoice, no matter what your opinion I respect them all.
Best to all of you and thanks to each of you for making this forum as great as it is. Peace!
Last edited by Eaglezsoar on Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Re: Why I am leaving the Forum

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I am sorry to hear that Carl, I will miss your helpfulness and kindness as will many on this forum. You have made this a better place by your many contributions. Your wealth of information has been impressive.
You are truly a kind hearted person.
I will pray for you to somehow get some relief.

You will be missed.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Very sorry to see you go, you're the cornerstone of this community!

I hope this doesn't mean that you're leaving behind the hobby, that would truly be a shame.

I wish you well in whatever you do. I hope you can find some kind of relief from a different routine. Good luck!

Jim
Chrissi
Printmaster!

Post by Chrissi »

How about sticking around and participating as you are able?
Part of this is a communal selfish need on our collective part and also general camaraderie and certainly if you have devoted this much time to this forum yourself it fills a need for you as well.
You have to do something with your time so why not spend it as you are able where you are needed, appreciated and whatever the guy metaphor is for loved?
...Chrissi

Rostock MAX
http://www.CozyGirrrl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I didn't realize that there was anything to be gained by having the most posts on this forum. On the other hand, I see no reason for your account to be deleted, wouldn't it delete the posts you made in the past?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

NOOOO!

Lets design a more orthopedic workstation for you.

Or maybe some of those microsoft glasses so you do not have to be staring at a screen but you can participate while laying down?

Why are you having the account deleted? Because of the internet addiction thing?
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
precisionpete
Printmaster!

Post by precisionpete »

I can only imagine the pain you experience. Your health and well being are more important.

Your contributions are enormous and personally I thank you again for all your thoughtful help.

Just know that you will be missed.

My prayers for any relief to ease your pain.

Pete
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

Take a rest but don't delete your account. We want you back. ;)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Mac The Knife wrote:I didn't realize that there was anything to be gained by having the most posts on this forum. On the other hand, I see no reason for your account to be deleted, wouldn't it delete the posts you made in the past?
That is one thing that I did not think about, it would delete all the posts, complications!
Thanks for thinking of that.
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

Man that sucks, I feel for you! :( I hope you can figure out some way to get relief.

You're one of the nicest dudes on any forum, it's a shame to see you go. Regarding post count I find that it's not any indicator of the quality of posts, so I disregard such things.
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

This is shocking news. Sad news. You are the reason that so many of us are here. You are the person in the room full of people who greeted each of us and welcomed us into such a great community. You lead by example with your numerous posts and thoughtful questions. You drive many of us to push our ideas even further by your questions and encouragement. I understand the thoughts behind your choice and I will not try to change your mind as I know that back pain is not something that can be wished away by any of us here with our desire to keep you in our daily lives.

But I would hate to see your account removed. I echo the concern that if your account is removed and your post with it, our community would be gutting of a great resource of knowledge which your posts have given each of us. I do not think the title of "most posts" matters to anyone enough that they would risk losing all the great contributions you have made. I would ask (and I think many would echo) that you please consider leaving your account here. We understand you might not be active, but your many insightful posts will remain as both a source of knowledge and as a reminder of how great our community can be with contributions of one outstanding individual. I and I think many others, would hate to see your account removed and the loss of information would be tragic.

On a personal note. Eagle you were truly the guy who welcomed me into this community. You were the first to welcome me and it meant a great deal to me then and even more now after getting to know you a bit better here. I hope you understand how great of an influence you are on so many here. I hope you know that you will be missed and in my view we have a hole that I am not sure anyone else can fill just right if you leave. I understand your choices, I might not agree 100% with them.. But I am not in your shoes and I do not feel the pain you do while posting so it is not my place to question your choices... But it is my place to tell you how much your warm greeting did to welcome me into this place and how I can say personalty that your many posts and view points will be missed.

I am guessing that you would like one of the new mount designs we spoke about over the older style we first spoke about. I have not forgotten and I am working to get everyone the mounts I promised. I understand you might not wish to post about the mount still if you choose to leave here, but the offer of the mount still stands and it will be arriving at your doorstep wither you are posting here or not. It is a gift to a friend who welcomed a shy guy into a great group and helped him fell at home right away. As a thank you, the mount will be yours to enjoy as will any future upgrades we do. I am running behind on milling and flying out tomorrow until the 16th... But your mount will be the first one I mill upon my return. I have your custom maroon mixed up and ready to go for the anodize.

I hope you find that which makes your life easier and a big part of me will be sad if that includes having to step away from here for a bit. But I hope you know how many people you have touched and how hallowed the name "EAGLE" will be here. If nothing else I vote the user name be locked forever as there is only one EAGLE and no one can replace him fully. Take care friend. We wish you all the best and hope that once in a while you soar by and tell us HI! from the lofty heights where eagles like you fly above us mere tiny men.

M.
http://713maker.com/ Custom aluminum and carbon fiber hot end mounts for the Rostock Max and Orion.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Travelphotog, your message brought tears to my eyes and I now realize that I will stick around, just not as often. I am still interested in the new mount design but I forget if I gave you the address and funds.
Please let me know. Your are a great writer and really touched me emotionally. I am 62 and my memory is not as good as it should be but you and all the others who have left a message to me will be remembered.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

and I now realize that I will stick around
YAY!!!! :D
I knew everyone on the forum could change your mind... ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

As an admin of another forum, if you have a problem keeping yourself from posting, have a friend change your password and not tell you until they feel you're up to it. They can change it again if you're on too much.

But, I'm very against deleting accounts wholesale as it does remove all the past posts. I was once a subscriber to a site that had a forum for its users. Their policy is as soon as you unsubscribe they delete your account/posts. It makes trying to read history on the forum very difficult as you have answers to questions nobody appears to have asked.

Something like:
"Yes, I agree"
"Actually, if you turn it 10 degrees it will be better."
"I still like the original posters idea, it's already saved me a lot of time and money."
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

Very sad news... You are kindest person I ever met, in life or in internet; wish you to have received as much warm as you gave to others

//sorry my English, I really hope you will understand what i mean
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Eaglezsoar wrote:others will rejoice
I doubt that!

From a pretty selfish perspective I hope you stay, but no matter what, you do what's best for yourself, Eagle. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. If you do decide to leave the forum, then I hope next time our paths cross, it's on the beach drinking a smoothie or something. Not sure how I'll recognize you but you never know. ;)

Take care of yourself, and thanks for being such a great resource!
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
senake
Prints-a-lot

Post by senake »

Sorry to see you go - reading your many contributions has greatly increased my knowledge of 3D printing and kept my Rostock in good running order.

I have joint pains myself, so I do hope that these get better for you.

All the best,

Senake
London
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks to all of you who took the time to write, what a great bunch of guys!
Some names were obviously missing but I can't have everyones blessing.
I have decided that you guys are right, I cannot delete my account because it would delete
all my postings. I will remain on the board in a limited basis unless a miracle comes along and
fixes my problems. I would like to concentrate on welcoming new users to the forum because that
makes me feel good. I must say that I did not expect the outpouring of kindness from you all.
The last month has been the worst for me and I have had to use a walker to get around, and generally
feeling sorry for myself. You all in an inexplicable way helped me to realize that I am not alone in this
world and that all of you care. Thanks to all of you for that. May God bless you all, SeemeCnc and it's
employee's and this forum!
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

Your contributions are usually of decent quality (except maybe some of the jokes :P) and it's a good thing for us that you'll be still making an occasional contribution.

Sucks about the back, man, my sister reached a similar point with the docs last year (aka "Give up any hope of regaining full mobility etc, there's nothing left for us to do but pain management") and so I kinda have an idea of what it must be like. Fortunately there's a lot of growth of understanding at the moment around the whole pain management arena - so there may be a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is just the ability to get off the opiates and all the hassles that go with them.

It's trite, but: chin up dude, there's always hope.

Can you print a chair like one of those kneelers or something similar that allows you to take the weight on your belly/hips/knees when you're at the computer?

Glad you're staying, Michael's just going to have to work a little harder for top spot.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

You're one of the best members of this forum. I would hate to see you go, and so I am glad to see you have decided to stay. I hope your back problems go away, or at least they don't interfere with you doing what you love.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Nylocke wrote:You're one of the best members of this forum. I would hate to see you go, and so I am glad to see you have decided to stay. I hope your back problems go away, or at least they don't interfere with you doing what you love.
Thanks, that means a lot coming from one of the most intelligent members of our forum. Please keep up your great postings and ideas.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Captain Starfish wrote:Your contributions are usually of decent quality (except maybe some of the jokes :P) and it's a good thing for us that you'll be still making an occasional contribution.

Sucks about the back, man, my sister reached a similar point with the docs last year (aka "Give up any hope of regaining full mobility etc, there's nothing left for us to do but pain management") and so I kinda have an idea of what it must be like. Fortunately there's a lot of growth of understanding at the moment around the whole pain management arena - so there may be a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is just the ability to get off the opiates and all the hassles that go with them.

It's trite, but: chin up dude, there's always hope.

Can you print a chair like one of those kneelers or something similar that allows you to take the weight on your belly/hips/knees when you're at the computer?

Glad you're staying, Michael's just going to have to work a little harder for top spot.
Thanks for the kind words and there will be no more jokes. I have realized that most jokes are racist in nature and I will not be posting such again. It is amazing how all the kind words have helped me get
out of the slump I was in.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Renha wrote:Very sad news... You are kindest person I ever met, in life or in internet; wish you to have received as much warm as you gave to others

//sorry my English, I really hope you will understand what i mean
Your English is fine and I thank you for the kind words.
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Just remember, it only takes a little creativity to use a computer from positions other than your desk chair, if that will help at all. Bed or couch tables, using the TV as a monitor, wireless keyboards/mice, standing tables.

Use it less often if it helps, but you don't need to go cold turkey on an activity you enjoy doing. That's disengaging and letting the disability win! You still have value in this world, even if your body doesn't work as well as it once did. Contribute what you can, and you will be appreciated.
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

BTW, if you need to use your "big" computer from somewhere else like in bed, you can use http://www.uvnc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to log in remotely. I manage several computers, some miles away with this. I have a copy ontwo different versions of Windows. The laptop that runs the two 3D printers is at the other end of this room, so get up and walk over or VNC? VNC, of course! I have a compatible app on my 'droid that can talk to all the others and a Linux version on those systems.

As long as you have decent WiFi speed you can access local computers nicely. I can run Slimplicity3D over VNC with only a little lag.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)

Return to “The Lounge”