Support Material Question (Solved).

mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Support Material Question (Solved).

Post by mvansomeren »

I have a question about something that has been driving me crazy. In the settings for MatterSlicer, you can check a box for Support material. My assumption was that if you checked that box, it would automatically create and print out support material for any overhang greater than 45 degrees (or whatever angle you sent in the preferences).

However, I have never been able to get that to happen. I'm always forced to go to an outside app like Meshmixer or Kisslicer to generate support material.

Is my thinking wrong? Is this not how it works or supposed to work? Any insight would be appreciated.
Last edited by mvansomeren on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Re: Support Material Question.

Post by mvansomeren »

C'mon, someone must know the answer. I can't be the only one who uses MatterControl... :?
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Sorry, I try not to have to use supports, and I dislike MatterControl.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Motopreserve
Prints-a-lot

Post by Motopreserve »

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. It seems hit or miss whether there are supports generated.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

As always with MatterControl: export your settings and send them together with the STL causing issues and a description of your woes to [email protected]. The guys are pretty red hot at replying.

To help with the initial question, though, when I need support I find it works really well and I'm not experiencing these issues. It's you, not MatterControl. :P ;)
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I don't like MC either.
Repeteir host is soooo much better, stable, and mature. IMHO.
try using Cura or Slic3r within MC instead of Matterslice.
I have been pleased with how well the auto support works nowdays. Particularly Sli3r

For really tricky parts I use meshmixer for supports.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

MatterControl wouldn't run on my machine for more than about 30 seconds without crashing, so it's Repetier-Host and standalone Slic3r for me...
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Captain Starfish wrote:As always with MatterControl: export your settings and send them together with the STL causing issues and a description of your woes to [email protected]. The guys are pretty red hot at replying.

To help with the initial question, though, when I need support I find it works really well and I'm not experiencing these issues. It's you, not MatterControl. :P ;)
I hope it IS me and not MatterControl because I can fix me. ;)

Pretty much every stl that needs support is a problem but I took your advice and sent them an email with an example. I will update this post if there is something significant to report that will help others.
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by jjjohnson »

Without seeing your .stl models its tough to say if this is the fix or not, but there is a checkbox in MatterControl for "Support Everywhere" If left unchecked this will only enable support to be generated when it can start from the bed. If checked it will allow support to be generated anywhere (including internal surfaces) on the print that the meets the threshold.

Give MatterControl a chance, it's pretty awesome!
JJ
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

jjjohnson wrote:Without seeing your .stl models its tough to say if this is the fix or not, but there is a checkbox in MatterControl for "Support Everywhere" If left unchecked this will only enable support to be generated when it can start from the bed. If checked it will allow support to be generated anywhere (including internal surfaces) on the print that the meets the threshold.

So this is in addition to the support material check box? If so, where is it located?
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

mvansomeren wrote:
jjjohnson wrote:Without seeing your .stl models its tough to say if this is the fix or not, but there is a checkbox in MatterControl for "Support Everywhere" If left unchecked this will only enable support to be generated when it can start from the bed. If checked it will allow support to be generated anywhere (including internal surfaces) on the print that the meets the threshold.

So this is in addition to the support material check box? If so, where is it located?
I've had several issue with MatterControl myself and after switching to Simplify3d I haven't regretted the decision. Only thing I use MC for is calibration because of the EEPROM interface.

Untitled.png
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

KAS wrote:
mvansomeren wrote:

I've had several issue with MatterControl myself and after switching to Simplify3d I haven't regretted the decision. Only thing I use MC for is calibration because of the EEPROM interface.

Untitled.png
Before switching to another app like Simplify3D, I wanted to try everything to get MatterSlicer to work. That screenshot is very helpful and I will try that tonight to see if it makes a difference. I'm also still awaiting response from Matter Hackers to see what they say. I appreciate the help!
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Re: Support Material Question (Solved).

Post by mvansomeren »

Thanks to help from Matter Hackers' Christopher Moore, MatterSlice is happily generating support material beautifully. The Key is the field next to the Support Type drop-down that is labeled "degrees" By default that number is Zero. So even if you check the "generate support material" and/or "support material everywhere" box(es), nothing will happen. The number he suggested was 40 and sure enough, support material is generated! Thanks to everyone that provided input. I hope this information is of help to others in the future.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Thanks for the update.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Motopreserve
Prints-a-lot

Post by Motopreserve »

Very good stuff. Thanks for following up with this.

Return to “MatterControl”