Dead Smoothieboard

KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Dead Smoothieboard

Post by KAS »

So it appears I have a dead smoothieboard. Been fighting with it for a week and cant get anything beside the 3.3v to light up.

I'm only using USB, but apparently I should be seeing 1,2,3, and 4 light up on the LEDs.

good times...
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: Dead Smoothieboard

Post by JFettig »

You should e-mail the place you bought it from so you can get a replacement.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I did, just waiting for a response. Tried a few things they suggested on the IRC with no luck.

You get yours up and running yet?
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I'm printing parts to build the printer it'll go in - might use machinekit however.
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

On power up (plug in usb) you should see 1,2,3,4 light up green one at a time then fast flashing. 3.3v should light up orange/red as well.
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

You can try soldering in a 5V voltage regulator according to the documentation. That will let it run off PSU power instead of USB. It might work. I don't know how long I would trust a board that requires it.

Another thing - you have to connect power at 3 separate locations. If you only connect one or two, it won't work. However, this would not stop the board from booting - only from activating the FETs that send the current.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

It's definitely dead. I get the 3.3v led only when using USB. None of my computers recognizes that anything is plugged in via usb.

Still no reply from uberclock.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Update: He is sending a replacement.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I promise if I wasn't so invested in the smoothieboard to work, Id tell everyone to avoid them like a plague.
Between them not shipping the GLCD with no communication, then receiving a dead board.. The replacement came today with a capacitor broken off and the 4x power header replaced with a 2x. But it has a QC Pass sticker, so I guess it's good to go.

Hopefully no other issues or surprises.

20150506_172117.jpg
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

After an hour of trying to figure out why the LCD wouldn't turn on, noticed the GLCD shield had a lifted smd capacitor. I'm glad I at least have another set to compare...
20150506_184959.jpg
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

I've heard other stories of problems like this with smoothieboards, which is why I scared myself away from the group buy: such massive increased productivity leads to bad QC. Even though Rambos are less sophisticated, they can be had from a reliable source.
*not actually a robot
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I ordered an Azteeg X5 mini for my Heavy Metal build,,, I'll be curious to see how it looks when it shows up.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

That's disappointing. Guess I better check out the board I have. I had not really checked it out as I to am waiting for the glcd I ordered with board.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

I'm on my third board.. First one had a dead stepper, second one would randomly turn off after a few minutes of printing, and now the third I am still trying to get working..
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

mlapaglia wrote:I'm on my third board.. First one had a dead stepper, second one would randomly turn off after a few minutes of printing, and now the third I am still trying to get working..
I went through two Azteeg X5s in six months (maybe less?) when I was first getting into Smoothie development. The first one lost its heated bed FET, which is a tiny cheesy little surface-mount component. The second started stuttering at random times. If I homed it, it would slam into the endstops and grind the belts because it didn't care about the endstops. If it got through homing, it would stutter and head-crash sooner or later.

Got a Smoothieboard about six months ago... been beating the hell out of it, developing my Smoothie fork... it's still kicking. I hope #3 works better for you.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

I hope so too, I just got one...
*not actually a robot

Return to “Smoothieboard and variants”