New carriages are available!

General info from SeeMeCNC HQ
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

New carriages are available!

Post by geneb »

http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=58c ... 70e9db078d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
cyber.shifter
Printmaster!

Re: New carriages are available!

Post by cyber.shifter »

I just got the email! Are they really as good as they sound? I'm guessing there was extensive design testing before they were made available? I'd love to get some if they are worth it. I'm fairly new, so anything that helps me eliminate a factor that could go wrong is worth it to me.
--nil volentibus arduum
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

They're awesome. Take a look at the manual to see how they're installed.

g.
Delta Power!
cyber.shifter
Printmaster!

Post by cyber.shifter »

I just looked at it. These look really solid, I'm excited to give them a try. I may take advantage of the discount going on right now.
--nil volentibus arduum
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

One thing to remember - these increase your horizontal radius by about 10mm. When calibrating, you'll want to start off with a Horizontal Radius setting of 140!

g.
Delta Power!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

geneb wrote:One thing to remember - these increase your horizontal radius by about 10mm. When calibrating, you'll want to start off with a Horizontal Radius setting of 140!

g.
So not to bring up touchy subjects, but does this mean that the people concerned with build volume would lose another centimeter in diameter?
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

no , increase!
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

So the axles move closer to the center - or farther out? My brain isn't working.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Jimustanguitar wrote:So the axles move closer to the center - or farther out? My brain isn't working.
Farther from the center of the bed, closer to the rails.
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

Ok, after further review, it does decrease at the edge of the heated bed between the towers. And slightly increase at the towers. So, the print area is slightly smaller with 269 mm arms (my oversight). Benefits of the IM new carriage include better rigidity through tighter ball bearings and constant force spring arm tensioners. The current acetal universal joint design with washer face works really smooth against the axle mounts. The machined R4 bearing sleeves roll more smooth than the 608 bearing sleeves.

"The cat's outta the bag" Our goals for our kits are price/performance, aesthetics second. The boss design on the carriage, which is used to fasten the axles mounts, also accepts an acetal ball joint mount (looks like a bar-bell). The future arms will be longer and cup the balls. We're working on that now. A new platform (not finished) will have the same boss design to accept the axle mount or ball mount. These will be out later this year.

Here's an assembly PDF of the new carriage. Files on our seemecnc github under machine_elements

https://github.com/seemecnc/Machine_Ele ... dapter.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Since 1996
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

JJ Johnson also helped engineer this design. Here's a prototype IM Cheapskate that's been running on his desk for quite a while. The green axle adapter were liquid resin printed on the Droplit.
IMCheapskatePicwAxle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Since 1996
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

The Rostock Max is improving all the time, excellent!
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Jimustanguitar wrote:
geneb wrote:One thing to remember - these increase your horizontal radius by about 10mm. When calibrating, you'll want to start off with a Horizontal Radius setting of 140!

g.
So not to bring up touchy subjects, but does this mean that the people concerned with build volume would lose another centimeter in diameter?
I think it does decrease print area... if the arm mount point is moved further away from bed center then arm can not reach as far opposite tower. right?
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Nice work Steve, JJ & John the new carriage is definitely better than the original cheapskate design.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
MrJoe
Printmaster!

Post by MrJoe »

Will the plastic used for the spring arms creep over time and loosen the grip on the rails?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

MrJoe wrote:Will the plastic used for the spring arms creep over time and loosen the grip on the rails?
This reminds me... What material is it? Will they hold up in a heated build enclosure?
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

The spring arms are same material as the arms used in our machine since 2012. We use a high quality glass filled nylon of which I have over 12 years of experience molding. It will not creep or set because we do not exceed the elastic limit of the material. Note: You can damage the arm by installing the curve the wrong way. Please observe the photo for correct installation.
Curve Spring Arm Install.jpg

The carraiges on my v2 behind my desk have been tested for more than a year and they are a one piece ABS spring arm.
SeeMeCNC carriage test running strong more than a year.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Since 1996
eigenbot
Plasticator

Post by eigenbot »

I've tinkered some with the old cheapskates on a v1 printer at my husband's work, but we also bought a v2 which came with the new cartridges and put it together last weekend. The new carriages were a dream to install. Has been printing great!
eigenbot
Plasticator

Post by eigenbot »

What are the chances the new carriages result in a longer diagonal rod than the old cheapskates?

After trying to print some larger prints, I noticed my bed was consistently too far from the nozzle between the towers. I found the calibration tool here from RollieRowland: https://github.com/RollieRowland/Delta- ... ation-Tool for leveling my bed, and noticed from his diagrams in the forum post that the easiest fix to that particular problem would be increasing the diagonal rod. The tool suggested increasing my diagonal rod to 270.98 (from 269), which seems to be a larger change than one would expect since it sounds like diagonal rod should be a direct measurement of the arms.

If my bed is just oddly regularly unlevel, I suppose changing the diagonal rod by about 1% should decrease my print scale in the xy dimensions by the same ratio - so maybe I'll test that out next.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I would say the diagonal rod is the same 269mm although the carriage offset might have changed.
As for RollieRowland's calibration, just take note that changing the arm length could mess with the dimensional accuracy of the printed part.

delta_terms.jpg
MrJoe
Printmaster!

Post by MrJoe »

PartDaddy wrote:The spring arms are same material as the arms used in our machine since 2012. We use a high quality glass filled nylon of which I have over 12 years of experience molding. It will not creep or set because we do not exceed the elastic limit of the material. Note: You can damage the arm by installing the curve the wrong way. Please observe the photo for correct installation.
Curve Spring Arm Install.jpg

The carraiges on my v2 behind my desk have been tested for more than a year and they are a one piece ABS spring arm.
SeeMeCNC carriage test running strong more than a year.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to explain that the material is glass filled nylon and that the design does not exceed the elastic limit of the material. 12 years experience molding this material certainly qualifies you as an expert too.
eigenbot
Plasticator

Post by eigenbot »

KAS wrote:I would say the diagonal rod is the same 269mm although the carriage offset might have changed.
That makes much more since - I wasn't sure how the diagonal arm was calculated/measured and didn't realize there was a separate carriage offset. I was really trying to get at the idea that the carriages might be a different thickness.

Is there a way to figure out what the new carriage offset would be? Without changing diagonal rod, my virtual towers are all about .35mm lower than the actual towers.
jjjohnson
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by jjjohnson »

FYI: The theoretical CARRIAGE HORIZONTAL OFFSET is 27.9700 mm

***EDIT: This is for the new Injection Molded Carriages now shipping with kits***
Last edited by jjjohnson on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJ
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

The firmware has the following listed, I'm guessing this is the melamine carriage with JJ's post above?

Code: Select all

/** \brief Horizontal offset of the universal joints on the vertical carriages.*/
#define CARRIAGE_HORIZONTAL_OFFSET 38.4  // Theoretical is 38.4, but actual may be slightly diff. due to plastic injection molded
eigenbot
Plasticator

Post by eigenbot »

I measured the cheapskates on the V1 at my husbands work and the injection molded cartridges and found the axle to be about 11mm closer to the axis than the cheapskates. I can't find carriage offset in the EEPROM setting though - is there somewhere else to change it?

ETA: glad my measurement more or less lined up with actual dimensions. I figured out how to get to configuration.h file and have changed carriage offset to see if that will fix my issues.

Return to “General Announcments”