Weird things happening

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Weird things happening

Post by derzaubererer »

Im printing a Subzero Mask for Halloween im printing it with raft and after the first quarter is finished the print head does some very weird things
it tilts up and down and extrudes into the air sometimes even crashing into the bed what is happening? anyone else experienced this?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/4EJQAN6.jpg[/img]

edit: added a picture
Last edited by derzaubererer on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjjohnson
SeeMeCNC Staff

Re: Weird things happening

Post by jjjohnson »

It sounds like one of your stepper motors skipped some steps. This occasionally happens on long prints when the nozzle "trips" over the print.

Try adjusting the Travel Speed to 150, and the Z lift to 1mm and run the print again.
JJ
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

jjjohnson wrote:It sounds like one of your stepper motors skipped some steps. This occasionally happens on long prints when the nozzle "trips" over the print.

Try adjusting the Travel Speed to 150, and the Z lift to 1mm and run the print again.
i got this sliced by a friend who uses s3d and i dont think they have Z-Lift as a setting should i reslice it with another slicer? the only other slicer i have decent settings for is the mattercontrol one.. anyone got some good cura profiles to share so i can try this?
Edit:Also thanks for your fast reply jjjohnson.
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Post by Khalid Khattak »

It seems to me you don't have magnet arm. Check your arms , grease it either the arms stucking or stepper loosing steps.. I will see mechanical parts 1st.
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

i got either vaseline or machine oil i guess the oil would be better where should i lube it? well my new arms are already on the way so its just a matter of time i guess should i lube the hole in the nylon where the pins are inserted? i just talked to the buddy of mine hell reslice it later for me again(s3d is just so much faster i really want it !!!)
he said its probably the vertical lift settings that he had at 0.1 also the xy movement was for his printer and was at 200 ill report back if this does the trick

got it resliced with different settings its currently printing wish me luck
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Post by Khalid Khattak »

I think you would have intermittent problems..May be some parts got good without problem. The mechanical issues need to be resolve 1st. if the simulation of Gcode shows correct then no way your hot-end should move in the pattern you posted above.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Bowden tube catches on carriage?
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Oh for FFS guys, he's got the injection molded u-joints. They require NO lubrication at all.

I suspect that he's either got a lose belt pulley (or more), or he's got a bad slice from S3D.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

geneb wrote:Oh for FFS guys, he's got the injection molded u-joints. They require NO lubrication at all.

I suspect that he's either got a lose belt pulley (or more), or he's got a bad slice from S3D.

g.
Do you blame the car for accidents or the nut behind the wheel? ;)

Very first page under Ooze control in S3D there is a value labeled "Retraction Vertical Lift", set it to 1mm.
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

JFettig wrote:
geneb wrote:Oh for FFS guys, he's got the injection molded u-joints. They require NO lubrication at all.

g.
Do you blame the car for accidents or the nut behind the wheel? ;)

Very first page under Ooze control in S3D there is a value labeled "Retraction Vertical Lift", set it to 1mm.
i got it resliced and got the vertical lift changed it worked like a charm ill post fotos right now
jjjohnson was 100% right the nozzle slided too fast and started grinding up and sometimes the belts just started slipping
thanks guys
http://imgur.com/a/duUQj looks very good:)
tell me what you think
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Your mask looks very good.
Have you checked all your belts to ensure that all are snugged up the same?
I know it's a guessing game but you get a feel for when they are tight enough.
Glad you got your mask printed!
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

Eaglezsoar wrote:Your mask looks very good.
Have you checked all your belts to ensure that all are snugged up the same?
I know it's a guessing game but you get a feel for when they are tight enough.
Glad you got your mask printed!
the zhop settings did the magic i guess
should i keep the 1mm or all the prints or should i just ion more difficult prints?
i guess they feel roughly the same tightness around the belt i can move them more than 1/8 inch and less than 1/2 inch when i pull them at the mid o the belt when i home then

is this tight enough? they feel a bit flappy i guess idk when i get them tighter they tend to feel stuck wich idont really like
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

The Zhop setting of 1mm can be kept for all your prints.
Belt tightness requires your judgement if you feel they are tight enough and you
experience no skipping of the belts you are fine. If your belts were skipping you
would hear the noise and see the degradation of your prints.
Right to Make
Prints-a-lot

Post by Right to Make »

Good advise on the belts, if they are not slipping there really is no reason to go tighter as that will cause more problems like belt stretch and uneven torque. As far as lubrication goes with those molded u joints- do not lube them as geneb mentions. I thought I was getting rod creep as one of the rods would like to creep out of the arms. I thought this was a lubrication issue as I had forgot that there are screws to hold the rods in place and my screws were not tight as they needed to be. So I greased the rods and u joints with a dry grease, but after that I am having layer alignment issues and I think its just to slippery and might be over moving slightly. I am going to take apart all the arms and pins and u joint to clear the dry grease off and re assemble. ill post an update. I am trying to print a particular part that I know comes out good, but after the lube job its got some miss aligned layers.

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”