Flat Spot on wheel

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Flat Spot on wheel

Post by mlapaglia »

One of my carriages developed a flat spot on one of its wheels. SeeMeCNC wants $32 for a new set. Is there any way to get the flat spot out of the wheel aside from replacing them?
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Re: Flat Spot on wheel

Post by Windshadow »

Have you tried setting the printer to air print with the heaters and extruder off and give it a macro that runs it up and down in the z about far enough to give 3 or 4 full rotations and let it run overnight.... I can't speak to the materials int the skates but I helped a friend rebuild a contraption that used 19 90s skateboard wheels as rollers and had been stored for ten years with something heave on it and after about 48 hours of exercising (there were very flat) they evened out pretty well. might be worth a try before you replace them
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

Interesting idea. I will give that a shot, thanks :)
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

Or maybe upgrade to the new carriage set http://www.seemecnc.com/collections/par ... rriage-set" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I currently have the carbon fiber arms, I wonder if that kit would work with it?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Just print a big part in "dry run" mode.

The flat spots are from too much tension. Luckily, they come out more often than not.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

mlapaglia wrote:Or maybe upgrade to the new carriage set http://www.seemecnc.com/collections/par ... rriage-set" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I currently have the carbon fiber arms, I wonder if that kit would work with it?
Yes, you can use the CF arms with the I.M. Carriages, you would use the "axle adapters" that come with carriage upgrade set.
these are the parts http://tricklaser.com/Axle-Adapter-for- ... DPT-01.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your flat spot will probably smooth out after running awhile, like the others said.
You probably have the cheapskate wheel adjusted a bit to tight, that causes flat spots.
I would not loosen it at this point though, leave the current tension so the flat spot can get smoothed out.

The original Cheapskate design is a real bugger to get adjusted just right. Plus the darn things can change over time.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"

Return to “Troubleshooting”