ERIS Early adopter feedback

The ERIS Delta, a truly affordable entry into Delta 3D Printing
JATMN
Printmaster!

Re: ERIS Early adopter feedback

Post by JATMN »

Xenocrates wrote:Alan, In that case I almost suspect that the bowden tube is bending in a way which increases resistance at that point. Especially with the symptoms you're showing (Filament starvation). Would you see if you can alter the routing in a way where it will either bend less, or do so more gradually, and if that helps at all?
Im going to blame retractions for now on mine but need to check on it more.. As for the bowden tube.. its moving naturally and unrestricted in anyway on mine and doing the same thing as Alan's.. :(
Jack of All Trades Master of None
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

There's a bug in z-lift that MH doesn't seem terribly interested in fixing.

You should make sure you're using the most current Eris firmware - there were some updates posted on Thursday or Friday at the SeeMeCNC github.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

geneb wrote:There's a bug in z-lift that MH doesn't seem terribly interested in fixing.

You should make sure you're using the most current Eris firmware - there were some updates posted on Thursday or Friday at the SeeMeCNC github.

g.
SWEET!!

Meanwhile,,,,,, trying out printing with PetG, on Kapton tape.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
gkrangan
Prints-a-lot

Post by gkrangan »

Hi geneb,

Thanks for the update.

How does one check the current firmware version? Can it be done via the MatterControl software?

Also, is there some documentation on how to update the firmware on the Eris?

Thanks in advance.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Umm, That cool knob for the EZ Extruder? I stripped it out! :shock:
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

Mac The Knife wrote:Umm, That cool knob for the EZ Extruder? I stripped it out! :shock:
Yep mines a goner now too.. :(
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Post by themitch22 »

gkrangan wrote:Hi geneb,

Thanks for the update.

How does one check the current firmware version? Can it be done via the MatterControl software?

Also, is there some documentation on how to update the firmware on the Eris?

Thanks in advance.
Download the updated source firmware from their github https://github.com/seemecnc/eris_delta/ ... ERIS-ii2dh

Download and install Arduino IDE https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Open the /Repetier/Repetier.ino then File > Upload

I'm doing it right now. My Calibration script was way off and took a bunch of tries, I'm not sure what happened.

Now I'm trying to compile the updated firmware and it says

Code: Select all

Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from sketch\HAL.h:77:0,

from sketch\Repetier.h:353,

from C:\Users\Mitch\Downloads\eris_delta-master\Repetier-Firmware-092.2-ERIS-ii2dh\Repetier\Repetier.ino:143:

Configuration.h:447: error: pasting "/* mini-rambo ext pins on P3 ext next to LCD header*/" and "_RPORT" does not give a valid preprocessing token

#define Z_PROBE_PIN 16 // mini-rambo ext pins on P3 ext next to LCD header

^

sketch\fastio.h:27:39: note: in definition of macro '_READ'

#define  _READ(IO)     ((bool)(DIO ## IO ## _RPORT & MASK(DIO ## IO ## _PIN)))

^

sketch\Printer.h:642:35: note: in expansion of macro 'READ'

return (Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH ? READ(Z_PROBE_PIN) : !READ(Z_PROBE_PIN));

^

sketch\Printer.h:642:40: note: in expansion of macro 'Z_PROBE_PIN'

^

Configuration.h:447: error: pasting "/* mini-rambo ext pins on P3 ext next to LCD header*/" and "_PIN" does not give a valid preprocessing token

^

sketch\fastio.h:27:66: note: in definition of macro '_READ'

^

sketch\Printer.h:642:35: note: in expansion of macro 'READ'

^

sketch\Printer.h:642:40: note: in expansion of macro 'Z_PROBE_PIN'

^

Configuration.h:447: error: pasting "/* mini-rambo ext pins on P3 ext next to LCD header*/" and "_RPORT" does not give a valid preprocessing token

^

sketch\fastio.h:27:39: note: in definition of macro '_READ'

^

sketch\Printer.h:642:56: note: in expansion of macro 'READ'

^

sketch\Printer.h:642:61: note: in expansion of macro 'Z_PROBE_PIN'

^

Configuration.h:447: error: pasting "/* mini-rambo ext pins on P3 ext next to LCD header*/" and "_PIN" does not give a valid preprocessing token

^

sketch\fastio.h:27:66: note: in definition of macro '_READ'

^

sketch\Printer.h:642:56: note: in expansion of macro 'READ'

^

sketch\Printer.h:642:61: note: in expansion of macro 'Z_PROBE_PIN'

^

exit status 1
pasting "/* mini-rambo ext pins on P3 ext next to LCD header*/" and "_RPORT" does not give a valid preprocessing token

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
"
Edit: I was able to fix the error by removing "// mini-rambo ext pins on P3 ext next to LCD header" and it compiled. I guess for some reason thinking the comment was a token.
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Proably a stringanization issue in the layered preprocessor macros that translate the pin number into register macros (see fastio.h for the magic in this case).

While 99% of the time you can get away with comments on the same line as a #define, it's better practice to put the comment on its own line before it, especially if you're writing portable code. This is one of those things that not every preprocessor handles the same way when things get complicated.
Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

gkrangan wrote:Folks,

I seem to have resolved the stringing problem that I had :D .

After messing with various settings, I believe I have narrowed it down to the Z-Lift.

I also lowered my temp down to 200 deg C, from the default of 210 deg C. I also restored the retraction-length back to 4.5mm, which was the default.

By default the Z-Lift was set to 1mm.

I slowly lowered the Z-Lift value to 0.5mm, then 0.3mm, and then finally 0.2mm. I was getting better and better results when I lowered it in steps.

I stopped at 0.2mm, since the stringing negligible or non-existent now.

Please check out the latest pictures and compare them to the ones from yesterday. The difference is night and day. They were taken immediately after removing them from the build-plate, as -is.

If anyone else is having stringing issues, see if lowering the Z-lift value helps.
Changing the Z-lift to .2 significantly reduced stringing. Almost eliminated. I'll see if tweaking the temp down gets rid of it. I'm running about 213C. I've been tweaking that down trying to find where my prints stop sticking to the bed. I tried 200 but I couldn't get a successful print at that temp.
It's not how fast you print, it's how well you print fast!
Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

Mac The Knife wrote:
geneb wrote:There's a bug in z-lift that MH doesn't seem terribly interested in fixing.

g.
SWEET!!

Meanwhile,,,,,, trying out printing with PetG, on Kapton tape.
I'll be interested in how that turns out. Updates when you have them.
It's not how fast you print, it's how well you print fast!
gkrangan
Prints-a-lot

Post by gkrangan »

themitch22 wrote:
Download the updated source firmware from their github https://github.com/seemecnc/eris_delta/ ... ERIS-ii2dh

Download and install Arduino IDE https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Open the /Repetier/Repetier.ino then File > Upload

I'm doing it right now. My Calibration script was way off and took a bunch of tries, I'm not sure what happened.
Hello themitch22,

I downloaded the firmware as you indicated, and was able to compile it fine, no issues. Did not have to make any changes.

But, before I downloaded anything, I wanted to check what firmware is already on my Eris first. The thought was why risk a re-update if my unit is on the latest already.

I opened up the terminal and connected to the printer. The terminal output is showing that the current firmware on my Eris is on the latest 0.92.2 version:

"<-FIRMWARE_NAME:Repetier_0.92.2 FIRMWARE_URL:https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Firmware/ PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Delta EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 REPETIER_PROTOCOL:3"

Once you've uploaded the firmware, can you please check if the output on your terminal is showing the same output as mine?

Thank you.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Don't go by version number - the main version # isn't updated. If you ordered your machine earlier than 5/20, you need to update the firmware.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
gkrangan
Prints-a-lot

Post by gkrangan »

geneb wrote:Don't go by version number - the main version # isn't updated. If you ordered your machine earlier than 5/20, you need to update the firmware.

g.
Thanks geneb.

As per the change record on github, only the following files were touched 8 days ago (5/18). The rest were more than 3months old.

https://github.com/seemecnc/eris_delta/ ... 263684da49

"ERIS Gcode and Defaults Files/README.md"

"..code and Defaults Files/ERIS_DEFAULTS.ini → ... Defaults Files/eris_default_settings.ini"

"Repetier-Firmware-092.2-ERIS-ii2dh/Repetier/Configuration.h"

I already have the latest defaults (plus my mods to the temp and Z-Lift).

The only change in the actual firmware appears to be the following:

-#define MOTOR_CURRENT_PWM {20, 20, 195}
+#define MOTOR_CURRENT_PWM {20, 20, 175}

The Extruder motor current PWM value was lowered from 195 to 175.

Regards.
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

When flashing firmware to the Eris use a older version of http://arduino.cc/download_handler.php? ... indows.exe
you should not get the errors while trying to flash the Eris, this is a known issue with the firmware itself (not just the firmware for Eris)
gkrangan
Prints-a-lot

Post by gkrangan »

JATMN wrote:When flashing firmware to the Eris use a older version of http://arduino.cc/download_handler.php? ... indows.exe
you should not get the errors while trying to flash the Eris, this is a known issue with the firmware itself (not just the firmware for Eris)
Hello,

I used Arduino 1.0.6 and just tried a Compile/Verify, and it completed with no issues.

Would this Arduino version be good to use?

I use this same version, when compiling Marlin for my Kossel Mini.

Also, the EEPROM settings, etc should be preserved, correct?

And after the firmware update, we just need to do a calibration, and would that make it ready to print again? Are there any other steps required?

Thanks.
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

gkrangan wrote:
JATMN wrote:When flashing firmware to the Eris use a older version of http://arduino.cc/download_handler.php? ... indows.exe
Hello,

I used Arduino 1.0.6 and just tried a Compile/Verify, and it completed with no issues.

And after the firmware update, we just need to do a calibration, and would that make it ready to print again? Are there any other steps required?

Thanks.
If it worked then dont bother changing Arduino versions.
EEPROM is preserved from what I understand from SeeMeCNC, but you *should* flash/erase the EEPROM before flashing the update (Per SeeMeCNC).
Yes calibration and should be ready to get back to printing.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Figures,,,, I just installed the latest arduino version last night. I'll have to roll it back.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

Anyone with under extrusion issues. Please read.

It appears the bowden tube could have slipped out partly or might not have been seated properly when built. Even if it feels like its going all the way in.. double check that it goes at least to the PCB board (depth), Mine was stopping before the PCB.
When I disassembled the print head I found there was a blob of PLA balled up at the top of the Hotend which was stopping the Bowden tube from going down. It was easy to remove even with the head cold (it fell out even). But I noticed I still could not get the bowden down all the way when I assembled it.. It appears there might not be enough of a chamfer on the hotend to guide the tube in and it was stopping on top of it. To address this issue I guided the tube in with the head unassembled then carefully reassembled it while the tube was seated. (seriously need like 3 hands for this) you need to release pressure from the push lock on the bowden or you will just compress the bowden tube in the head and cause other issues.

After completing these steps my printer is now printing happily and completing prints again ^_^
gkrangan
Prints-a-lot

Post by gkrangan »

JATMN wrote:Anyone with under extrusion issues. Please read.

It appears the bowden tube could have slipped out partly or might not have been seated properly when built. Even if it feels like its going all the way in.. double check that it goes at least to the PCB board (depth), Mine was stopping before the PCB.
When I disassembled the print head I found there was a blob of PLA balled up at the top of the Hotend which was stopping the Bowden tube from going down. It was easy to remove even with the head cold (it fell out even). But I noticed I still could not get the bowden down all the way when I assembled it.. It appears there might not be enough of a chamfer on the hotend to guide the tube in and it was stopping on top of it. To address this issue I guided the tube in with the head unassembled then carefully reassembled it while the tube was seated. (seriously need like 3 hands for this) you need to release pressure from the push lock on the bowden or you will just compress the bowden tube in the head and cause other issues.

After completing these steps my printer is now printing happily and completing prints again ^_^
Thanks JATMN. If I start to have extrusion issues, I will try checking if the bowden tube is all the way through, and properly seated. I was chatting with Guanu @ SeeMeCNC and he also recommended the following, if extrusion issues are seen:

"typically that has to do with the tube not being fully seated and a plug forming in the gap where the tube seats at the bottom of the hotend.. if you want to remove this plug heres the steps I take... heat up the hotend and manually feed in some filament till it comes out of the nozzle.. turn off the heat, when the temp in mattercontrol reads 110, quickly disconnect, shut off the machine, unplug the wire harness from the hotend, push down on the black push fit connector and pull the tube and filament out of the hotend.. it should be soft enough yet hard enough to remove the filament from
the hotened completely... then trim off the filament and back it out some.. if you pulled out a larger plug (about the diameter of the tube) you had a gap that was plugging in the hotend.. when you replace the tube, keep wiggling it and going farther in the hotend.. (it goes down quite a bit) but that is not enough to fully seat the tube... if you wiggle it up and down you will see the push fit moves up and down... the way I eliminate this is push the hotend down to the bed, and while pushing on the tube only (create pressure pushing the nozzle down in the bed), you want to use a small flat blade screwdriver or the part removal tool to lift up on the black push fitting, keep pushing down on the tube and work that fitting up till it stands higher and holds the tube in place... when you let go of the tube you can try wiggling it up and down and it should have no movement.. this will eliminate that small gap, then put the small push fit keeper in to prevent the black part from being pushed and you should be good to go
its trickey to get the tube to fully seat in the hotend... a good idea before you remove the tube is try to mark the tube at the top of the fitting so when you go to put it back, you can see if it is down all the way"

Thanks.
garfi3ld
Plasticator

Post by garfi3ld »

Anyone else seen "error printer set into dry mode until restart" in the terminal?
brent
Printmaster!

Post by brent »

themitch22 wrote: ^

Code: Select all

exit status 1
pasting "/* mini-rambo ext pins on P3 ext next to LCD header*/" and "_RPORT" does not give a valid preprocessing token
Submitted a pull request with a suggested fix. https://github.com/seemecnc/eris_delta/pull/5
gkrangan
Prints-a-lot

Post by gkrangan »

JATMN wrote:
gkrangan wrote:
Hello,

Thanks.
If it worked then dont bother changing Arduino versions.
EEPROM is preserved from what I understand from SeeMeCNC, but you *should* flash/erase the EEPROM before flashing the update (Per SeeMeCNC).
Yes calibration and should be ready to get back to printing.
Hi JATMN,

I just reflashed the firmware with the latest on github, using Arduino v1.0.6. No issues during the update. I did a calibration so after the update, and trying another print now. We'll see how things go over the next few days.

Thanks.
gkrangan
Prints-a-lot

Post by gkrangan »

JATMN wrote:Anyone with under extrusion issues. Please read.

So, here's something interesting....

Earlier this morning, I had printed a 3DBenchy. Except, I had scaled the size down to 75%, so it would print in 2 hours.

Once the print finished, I noticed some layering issues on the right-side pillar of the Engine-Room of the boat. At that time, I passed it off as a glitch.

Since then, I have updated the firmware to the latest on github.

I then re-calibrated, and printed a a 5mm calibration-cube print to make sure that all is well post firmware update. The print came out perfect, with no issues.

I then re-tried the 3DBenchy again (and I also regenerated the G-code), and printed it again (post-firmware update).

The new print has the signature of the same layering issue, at the exact same spot.

It's just shows up for a few layers, and only on this one portion of the part. No issues seen at the same layer level on the rest of the part.

Please see the attached picture. The print on the left is the new one from this after noon. The one on the right is from earlier in the morning.

If this is a potential bowden-tube not being seated properly issue, what are the odds that it will happen at the exact same spot on two different instances of the print, with a firmware update and another print in between.

Is it possible that NetFabb messed up something in this spot when I scaled it down? Or might it be the MC slicer, that is messing up the tool-paths for that spot, on the print.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_1030.JPG
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

I have had similar issues with the benchy, without attempting to scale it.
One thing to note... I have never been able to configure MatterControl with CuraEngine and have to create layers for this model (it only creates 2 layers).. Only the MatterSlicer seems to work for this model in MatterControl.
Does this match the experience of others in this group? The Benchy slices fine in full version Cura.
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

what kind of print speeds has everyone been running recently?

Return to “ERIS Delta”