Anyone out in SoCal?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
Acidshock
Plasticator

Anyone out in SoCal?

Post by Acidshock »

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if there is anyone out in Southern California that may be willing to lend me a hand with getting my printer in calibration. If you look at my previous posts it has been a hectic ride with this thing. I am willing to pay; I just want to get it working. I am pretty sure it has to do with tower lean. I tried to get it out by loosening the towers and pulling them in place but that didn't do much. Just bought some turnbuckles and cable. Going to give that a try.... I am getting so frustrated at this point cause I feel that I am so close to getting it working but cant catch a break.
Last edited by Acidshock on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DerStig
Printmaster!

Re: Anyone out in SoCal?

Post by DerStig »

Acidshock wrote:Hey Guys,

Just wondering if there is anyone out in Southern California that may be willing to lend me a hand with getting my printer in calibration. If you look at my previous posts it has been a hectic ride with this thing. I am willing to pay; I just want to get it working. I am pretty sure it has to do with tower lean. I tried to get it out by loosening the towers and pulling them in place but that didn't do much. Just bought some turnbuckles and cable. Going to give that a try.... I am getting so frustrated at this point cause I feel that I am so close to getting it working but cant catch a break.
I'll add they can also help with mine. its still low between the X and Z tower
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

You might want to be more specific about your location, given the size of Southern California. Santa Barbara to El Centro is a 5 hour drive.
Acidshock
Plasticator

Post by Acidshock »

Lol I will go the distance to get this sucker fixed but you are right. Orange County.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

AcidShock, to check for tower plumbness don't compare to the bed, remove or move the bed out of the way and check the square of the tower to the melamine top plate. Check all 3 top and bottom. I know you reported that you did this in your other thread but your results were odd and I suspect you were squaring against the glass plate.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Tower...plumpness? *snickers* :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Funny!
I edited it. I hate spell corset ion. I mean spell correction.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

It's karmic payback for using a phone to post messages. :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Acidshock
Plasticator

Post by Acidshock »

I have. They found a bunch of things with the old trucks. Upgraded them but still have the same problem. I figured I will call them again.
Acidshock
Plasticator

Post by Acidshock »

Called them, got the shuffle... Considering I bought the unit from there I was hoping they would be more helpful. Oh well, is what it is. I am determined to get it working hell or high water.
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Disappointing....
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Hey bud, I'm in Orange County. I'm by no means an expert, but I did get my machine up and running (also got it from matter hackers)
I'd be happy to meet up with you and lend a hand! PM me your address and cell, I'll see if I can swing by some time.
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
Acidshock
Plasticator

Post by Acidshock »

Thanks Ramai! I appreciate the willingness to help. I did link up with gestalt73 from the forum. Turns out he prints a lot of stuff and happens only to be about a mile from where I live. We got the thing working amazingly now! Turns out there was a whole slew of issues. One of the towers was off a bit which was suspected, the weird part was it kept going back out of true. We kept messing with it and eventually got it to true up. Also the print head was a bit loose. It was also just ever so slightly loose in the effector mount. There was also some issues with the power supply too. Ultimately though he ended up upgrading me to the duetwifi, which I must say is AMAZING! The loudest thing on the printer now is the hotend fan lol. We have it doing auto calibration on 36+ points. In addition gestalt73 ended up giving me a bunch of others tips and ideas on how to perfect my prints. Overall he really helped me out. I am greatly indebted to him. He went so far above and beyond. Thanks gestalt73!

Some example prints attached also a youtube video.

https://youtu.be/reiglpELK6c
Attachments
image1.JPG
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Awesome! Next time you guys get together, I'd love to swing by too if I'm available!
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Very cool, I might have to be jealous :)
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

Acidshock wrote:Thanks Ramai! I appreciate the willingness to help. I did link up with gestalt73 from the forum. Turns out he prints a lot of stuff and happens only to be about a mile from where I live. We got the thing working amazingly now! Turns out there was a whole slew of issues. One of the towers was off a bit which was suspected, the weird part was it kept going back out of true. We kept messing with it and eventually got it to true up. Also the print head was a bit loose. It was also just ever so slightly loose in the effector mount. There was also some issues with the power supply too. Ultimately though he ended up upgrading me to the duetwifi, which I must say is AMAZING! The loudest thing on the printer now is the hotend fan lol. We have it doing auto calibration on 36+ points. In addition gestalt73 ended up giving me a bunch of others tips and ideas on how to perfect my prints. Overall he really helped me out. I am greatly indebted to him. He went so far above and beyond. Thanks gestalt73!

Where are you and Gestalt73 located? I'm in Burbank up on the mountain and I could use help finishing up my Metal Max build.
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Awesome, I'm down in Orange. I'd love to check out a max build. I have my own that I haven't quite started yet.
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

Hey AcidShock, Thanks for the kudos!

It was great meeting another Rostock enthusiast, and your printer is turning out some great prints now!

I was happy to help, to be honest there was only a handful of issues, but your interest in upgrading to the duet wifi really kicked things up a notch. I continue to be impressed with those boards, the firmware, and the web interface.

Anyhoo, it's great knowing that there's another Rostocker in the area, and it sounds like we have a few more.
Maybe after the holidays I can host a meetup. It's always a pleasure to exchange tips and tricks and to help each other out.

Thanks!
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

Hey Gestalt73 any chance I could get you to drive up to Burbank and help me with my Duet Conversion? I'm having issues getting it to calibrate
fehknt
Noob

Post by fehknt »

Another Rostocker with a ~2014 v2 in OC (Irvine) that thinks a meetup sounds fun.
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

fehknt wrote:Another Rostocker with a ~2014 v2 in OC (Irvine) that thinks a meetup sounds fun.
Matterhackers is having a meetup on February 9 at 7pm. Hopefully some of yous will be there!
sunkenbier
Plasticator

Post by sunkenbier »

Im also in S Cal. Im just a few miles from the matter hackers store. That makes it handy for picking up filament when I dont have time to make it myself.

I was on a Rostock v1 but am always doing overhauls to it. I am now running a max metal with trick trucks, I put in an accelerometer for calibration and have it working with a e3dv6. Im thinking of upgrading to a duetwifi since Ive heard so much good stuff about it. It is still working well for you?

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”