Filament Spools

A place for the physical connections
Demolishun
Printmaster!

Filament Spools

Post by Demolishun »

For empty spools I bought some of these:
http://www.filabot.com/collections/fron ... ment-spool

I realized by looking at them and seeing the stiffness of the filament that these would not work well for holding filament. The main issue is the hub size is too small. These spools are made for wire not filament. So I figured I could fix them with this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-3-in- ... word=e940l
I actually bought these couplers at Lowes for $1.50 US, but could not find them on their website. The part number is E940L. I used a general purpose ABS/PVC cement so that I could glue these together. I don't know what the spool is made of, but I assumed some sort of ABS. It is staying together very strongly.

I cut the original spool in half and carefully glued it together keeping everything centered. It turned out like this:
printer_spool_pvc_mod.jpg
Then I thought I could use these for future spools:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_211809-84240-PN ... facetInfo=
I have not tried the bucket lid solution, but the lids are $1.28 each. So it is a tossup between buying and modifying a spool or getting the lid at the hardware store. However at the hardware store there is no waiting for shipment or shipping costs other than travel to the store. You also would have to cut the lid.

So, this is my "custom" spool. Please post any of your own custom spool solutions or ideas.

I tried finding a thread just on spools but could not find one. So I decided to start one.
Challenge yourself and be a more awesome you.
gajtguy
Printmaster!

Re: Filament Spools

Post by gajtguy »

I'm sorry, but you lost me on the purpose for needing/wanting empty spools. Can you enlighten me?
Demolishun
Printmaster!

Post by Demolishun »

To put filament on. I needed decent spools to wind the filament I make with a Filabot. I didn't want ones that would stress the filament as it is wound onto the spool. I plan on automating that process as well. So decent spools are needed.
gajtguy
Printmaster!

Post by gajtguy »

oh, gotcha. Thanks for explaining. I didn't even know people made their own filament.

Your on the varsity team. I'll go back to JV... ;)
Demolishun
Printmaster!

Post by Demolishun »

Varsity? I just started 3D printing this week. LOL! Got my printer like 2 weeks or so ago.

Oh, and you can make your own filament make for under $300. Look up the Lyman design.
http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=lyman+&sa=

I actually have a Filabot, but it is about $700.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Smaller spools are also useful to spool up from larger spools so you can put the spool up top. The big spools up top get heavy and crowded - I have 4 extruders so spool size is an issue for me!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Demolishun
Printmaster!

Post by Demolishun »

Definitely a good point on spool size. I am eying some of the filament spool designs on thingiverse. I like some of the fold up ones.

Return to “Nuts and Bolts”