Resistor Wire

A place for the physical connections
KyleSandwichman
Noob

Resistor Wire

Post by KyleSandwichman »

I would like to know what wire people are using to connect to the heating resistors. It seems that a bunch of people are using some kind of teflon/ptfe insulated wire, but I have read about other builds that just use regular wire and have had no problems. The electronics guide just says 4 conductor wire, but that's not very informative. Please also include where you got your wire from as I have had trouble finding some of these parts in the past. Thanks!
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Re: Resistor Wire

Post by michaellatif »

Hi Kyle,

I have 18awg stranded, 2 core wire - source for this was home depot, basic lamp wire, clear/silver sheathing color. Nothing fancy. I just keep the wire from touching any of the heated parts and it has been doing fine. I purchased it from the electrical section that a HD worker would have to measure and cut for me.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I'm using ordinary 18 gauge wire, crimped onto the resistor leads, no issues with it again I just keep it away from the actual heated part.
I would recommend having some sort of connector close to the actual hot end, it makes removing it much easier when it jams.
I use a 4 pin molex connector.
PJgearhead
Plasticator

Post by PJgearhead »

I just run standard double insulated automotive two core wire thats soldered to the end of one of the resistors, then the second resistor is crimped to the first.

Return to “Nuts and Bolts”